Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

any tax inspectors on here?

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 10:25 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any tax inspectors on here?

just wondering as a job what is it like being a tax inspector?

anyone do it as a job?

please pm if u feel safer that way lol
Old 28 August 2004, 06:03 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

anyone???
Old 28 August 2004, 06:08 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Used to work for HM IoT a few years back, still have a few friends there. what do you want to know?
Old 28 August 2004, 06:55 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Used to work for HM IoT a few years back, still have a few friends there. what do you want to know?
whats it like for a job-i know what basic pay is but what chances are there to further your training and therefore increase your pay-whats it like for job security etc etc
Old 28 August 2004, 07:22 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

What grade are you talking about? E, D or C?
Old 28 August 2004, 07:25 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

well they have been advertising jobs as trainee tax inspectors-dont know what grade they are but starting pay is around the 18 grand figure-outside of london that is
Old 28 August 2004, 08:51 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Ok - the junior grades are made thus.

E2 - Admin assistant (used to be called Revenue Assistant)

Basically deals with data entry, moving tax records between offices, very basic calculations.
Probably the most dullest job in the world.

E1 - Admin officer (used to be called Revenue Officer)

This is where the main work is done, these are the guys that deal with the majority of Sch D and Paye(Sch E) tax work. When you ring the tax office you are likely to speak to one of these guys.
Interesting to a degree, although after a few years becomes dull.

D Executive Officer (used to be called Revenue Executive)

Either a Caseworker or Team Leader\Manager of a group of Band E's. If Caseworker, they work alone and deal with basic investigative work or more complicated tax affairs. If Team leader, would be man managers and escalation points.
This grade was quite difficult to get. You had to apply for the job rather than be promoted, and of course as you climb the ladder there are less of each grade.

C Tax Inspector

Again can be caseworkers or man managers, typically looking after a section of 40+ people. This is quite a senior role, and only 12 years or so ago would be addressed as Mr. or Mrs <surname> rather than first name.

Where I worked a Caseworker Band c would deal with people such as Phil Collins or Eric Clapton.

By the sounds of things you would be applying for Band C, but normally you would spend some time at both band E1 and Band D, getting your grounding. I would say it very unlikely you would so any work in Band E2, although you might be introduced in case you need any E2 to get you a coffee

As far as job security is concerned, it is very very good. If you are good at the job, i would suggest getting some good revenue experience, over a number of years and then move to a private tax practice and become the poacher . I can't see there being a drop in demand for taxes in the next few years . Working conditions are ok, cushy hours, flexi time and extra holidays for the corgi birthdays, on the downside it is staffed by lazy halfwits who want a cushy job that is nigh on impossible to get sacked from, so can be frustrating at times. Oh and the money is **** too.

Apologies to any lazy halfwit who can afford a scoob and is on here. No offence intended.

What else do you want to know?
Old 28 August 2004, 08:58 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

when u say pay is crap-they said starting pay is about 18 grand once u have done the initial 18 months training then u go i think by memory to 21 k is it easy to study fo rmore exams to get higher wages or is it nigh on impossible?-sorry for asking so much questions
Old 28 August 2004, 09:27 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

You can get promoted to higher Tax Inspector grades, however a District Inspector, who runs an office probably earns about 35k. The office I was in had 200 people, so compared to the private sector the money is rubbish.

Whether you think 21k is rubbish in its on right is subjective, but the technical knowledge and responsibilty is carries is not proportionate to the salary. But remember this is the Civil Service we are talking about.

A few good years experience, move into somewhere like Price Waterhouse and good money can be made. Maybe even your own practice.

You can get tax qualifications and the IR will sponsor you to do them, if you are ambitious then it is a worthwhile thing to do. However to get to Inspector in 2-3 years will be a lot of work and study in itself.
Old 28 August 2004, 09:31 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

ok thanks for info-may ask more yet lol