Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dublin, no smoking laws

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2004, 09:57 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Dublin, no smoking laws

Just come back from a week of working in Ireland, well Newbridge, and staying at the Curragh racecourse hotel

What a load of nonsense the no smoking rule is in bars etc, well in fact anywhere indoors it would seem

Most people I spoke to reckon that come the winter people wont go out

Still Im going back there again, so best take a brolly & a warm coat next time
Old 26 August 2004, 10:17 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought it was an excellent idea, best part was not stinking like an ashtray the next day. Even the smokers in my party (irish) didnt mind.

New York has introduced this too
Old 26 August 2004, 10:27 PM
*Sonic*
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Yep I agree to some extent, that the bar actually smells decent

but a PITA to keep having to go outside for a smoke

twas my first time in southern ireland, and I was amazed at what a friendly bunch of peeps they seem to be

just about everyone says 'ello and asks how you are doing etc etc
Old 27 August 2004, 02:16 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

I could have sworn I replied to this. Maybe SN is more anti-smoking than I thought...
Old 27 August 2004, 09:16 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

well i smoke and it doesn't bother me. I was in Dublin last weekend, and quite happy to go out and smoke. Just because we want to kill ourselves doesnt mean we should take everyone down with us. If it's such a pain for you stop!
Old 27 August 2004, 09:21 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by marky1
well i smoke and it doesn't bother me. I was in Dublin last weekend, and quite happy to go out and smoke. Just because we want to kill ourselves doesnt mean we should take everyone down with us. If it's such a pain for you stop!
What a nice pleasent attitude marky1 I just wish all smokers thought like you.
Old 27 August 2004, 09:22 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Yep I agree to some extent, that the bar actually smells decent

but a PITA to keep having to go outside for a smoke

twas my first time in southern ireland, and I was amazed at what a friendly bunch of peeps they seem to be

just about everyone says 'ello and asks how you are doing etc etc
Last trip to Dublin we bumped into a group of folk celebrating someones Birthday. By the end of the Evening you'd have thought we we all members of the same Family .

Going back there in December for a Party of my own .
Old 27 August 2004, 09:25 AM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by marky1
Old 27 August 2004, 09:55 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Sonic*
Just come back from a week of working in Ireland, well Newbridge, and staying at the Curragh racecourse hotel

What a load of nonsense the no smoking rule is in bars etc, well in fact anywhere indoors it would seem

Most people I spoke to reckon that come the winter people wont go out

Still Im going back there again, so best take a brolly & a warm coat next time
So do you want a wooly bobble hat and scarf for your birthday?
Old 27 August 2004, 10:02 AM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I've been to a non smoking bar once, smelled like beer-impregnated wood and other unpleasant odors. Better get good smoke extractors.
Old 27 August 2004, 10:12 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

I'd heard that there were more people outside the pubs now tho than inside,i think it would be better to ban chav's and children from pubs rather than smoking
Old 27 August 2004, 10:51 AM
SCOSaltire
Scooby Regular

were the pubs still busy?
Old 27 August 2004, 11:05 AM
DieselDoo
Scooby Regular

I was also in Dublin last weekend, the pubs in temple bar were full and a really nice atmosphere. I dont smoke but my wife does, she seems to think it would be a bit of a pain in winter as it only came into force the end of March. I`d go outside and sit with her and its surprising how sociable you get with the other smokers, but one individual did tell us that she prefered to stay at home with a few cans if it were raining, so time will tell.
I think sooner rather than later it will be like it over here.
Old 27 August 2004, 12:05 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Where's SomeDude? It's been this way in Belgium for some years, I hear.
Old 27 August 2004, 12:08 PM
King RA
BANNED

I smoke and would be all for banning smoking in pubs. It's unfair on others at the end of the day, and would make a perfect opportunity to give up. And if you don't give up it's alot more sociable and u smoke less!!
Old 27 August 2004, 12:22 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by King RA
I smoke and would be all for banning smoking in pubs. It's unfair on others at the end of the day, and would make a perfect opportunity to give up. And if you don't give up it's alot more sociable and u smoke less!!
That's assuming you want to give up or smoke less. I agree we are being hammered by the media with how bad the whole smoking thing is (a way to justify ever increasing taxes on tobacco), but people also smoke because they like it, and forbidding it takes their pleasure away. There are so many things that are bad for you, including alcohol, that banning smoking in pubs sounds a bit strange. You can drink your liver to death in one of those places, but if you have a cigarette, you'll die from lung cancer? Gimme a break!
Old 27 August 2004, 12:24 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Claudius
That's assuming you want to give up or smoke less. I agree we are being hammered by the media with how bad the whole smoking thing is (a way to justify ever increasing taxes on tobacco), but people also smoke because they like it, and forbidding it takes their pleasure away. There are so many things that are bad for you, including alcohol, that banning smoking in pubs sounds a bit strange. You can drink your liver to death in one of those places, but if you have a cigarette, you'll die from lung cancer? Gimme a break!

lol Thats just what i think
Old 27 August 2004, 12:53 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

I think its a great idea. Why should all the non-smokers have to suffer everyone elses smoke. Get outside or give up if you dont like it. I hope it comes into play here. There's nothing worse than going home at the end of the night stinking like an ashtray. I think its time for a change!

Iain
Old 27 August 2004, 12:53 PM
marky1
Scooby Regular

yeah but by drinking yourself to death you are really only harming yourself (aside from family) With smoking, unfortunately you are harming people who have nothing to do with you and who don't know you. I think it's a little different.
Old 27 August 2004, 12:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Alcohol in moderation is not bad for your health. (Debatable, but...)

Smoking in moderation IS bad for your health.

Both products are taxed to buggery.

If you can get more people onto the healthier one (encourage the non-smokers back into pubs), you can keep the tax receipts and not have to hand the money to the NHS for treatment later.

Not bad, huh?

(What, me cynical? )
Old 27 August 2004, 01:01 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

I didnt know liver transplants were cheaper than lung cancer treatment, please accept my apologies

How about lowering taxes on motorbikes then?
Old 27 August 2004, 03:27 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

its all driven by the dangers of passive smoking, when all these non smoking bar staff start getting ill in 30 years from now from lung cancer they will sue their old employers for exposing them to dangerous environment.
Old 27 August 2004, 04:09 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
New York has introduced this too
New York has gone a bit further than Ireland.

Once Bloomberg (the most rabid anti-smoker on the planet) banned smoking in bars, he noticed that people were still smoking on patios, so he banned that too. He then noticed people would huddle outside the bar under the entrance canopy, so he banned smoking under any form of cover. The only way bars are able to get around the smoking ban is to park a smoking limo in front of the bar. At least until Bloomberg bans that as well.

Anyway, what will probably get ignored in this thread (as it did in the last smoking one) is that most bars have/had smoking/non-smoking areas. If you don't smoke, go into the non-smoking area. Why ban people who smoke from smoking even in a completely sealed and separate room? To protect the bar staff? Nah, that line is often trotted out. Many bar staff smoke anyway, and no-one forced them to work in a bar in the first place.

Smoking bans are almost always as the result of some trumped-up non-smoking cardigan wearing official, who hasn't been in a bar in decades, making a rare visit to a bar and getting a whiff of smoke. If these busy body officials were all kidnapped by aliens (and hopefully given a thorough 'probing'), the world would be a better place.
Old 27 August 2004, 04:58 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by SCOSaltire
were the pubs still busy?
Never been to Ireland then ?
Old 27 August 2004, 05:03 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome

Once Bloomberg (the most rabid anti-smoker on the planet) banned smoking in bars, he noticed that people were still smoking on patios, so he banned that too. He then noticed people would huddle outside the bar under the entrance canopy, so he banned smoking under any form of cover. The only way bars are able to get around the smoking ban is to park a smoking limo in front of the bar. At least until Bloomberg bans that as well.

Anyway, what will probably get ignored in this thread (as it did in the last smoking one) is that most bars have/had smoking/non-smoking areas. If you don't smoke, go into the non-smoking area. Why ban people who smoke from smoking even in a completely sealed and separate room? To protect the bar staff? Nah, that line is often trotted out. Many bar staff smoke anyway, and no-one forced them to work in a bar in the first place.

Smoking bans are almost always as the result of some trumped-up non-smoking cardigan wearing official, who hasn't been in a bar in decades, making a rare visit to a bar and getting a whiff of smoke. If these busy body officials were all kidnapped by aliens (and hopefully given a thorough 'probing'), the world would be a better place.
I dont know about the aliens, but I totally agree with the rest. It isnt simply protecting non-smokers, as that can be done otherwise (as you say), it's forcing your way of life on people who live in a different manner. It's intolerance bordering on tyranny.
Old 27 August 2004, 05:05 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Never been to Ireland then ?
I havent; are the pubs busy, then?
Old 27 August 2004, 05:36 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i go to ireland alot and it is a stupid law . it has ruined the irish pub culture. its not the same being in a smokeless bar . they could have tried it somewhere else first like russia or some where . the irish are one of the largest drinkers and smokers in the world and just because of some silly fu*ks the whole country has to abide to this stupid law! why dont they have a non smoking area like any normal place so if u dont like the smoke f*ck off to it! rant over!
Old 27 August 2004, 06:04 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome

What bollocks, just because some bar staff smoke then they all need to suffer, also working in any environment should not be a danger to your health. Tell that to the boys who worked in the shipyards and ended up with Asbestosis, its no different, while working to live you get killed by your environment. Thats unacceptable in any civilised society.
Old 27 August 2004, 07:43 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Because our canteen at work stinks and has turned yellow thru smokers (even though though their section is seperate) we're banning them from it after its refurbished and making them smoke under a smoking shelter in the car park

Nice
Old 27 August 2004, 07:48 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Claudius
There are so many things that are bad for you, including alcohol, that banning smoking in pubs sounds a bit strange. You can drink your liver to death in one of those places, but if you have a cigarette, you'll die from lung cancer? Gimme a break!

you would have to drink an incredible amount of alcohol to have any effect on my liver..... no so with a smoke.

Quick Reply: Dublin, no smoking laws