Advice on Bailiffs - please?

Search this Thread

Old 24 August 2004, 09:11 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Advice on Bailiffs - please?

..... not for me, but my father.

To cut a long story short, my brother has car registered at my father's house - he no longer lives there and hasn't done for many years. Sometime ago he received a parking fine on the vehicle which he has chosen to ignore, this has been left so long that it has resulted in threatening Bailiff's letters and now totals about £350.

My father has phoned the bailiff and told him that my brother doesn't live there, but I suspect that's unlikely to be even remotely the end of it.

I've told him to write to the bailiff confirming this, but is there anything else you think he should do?

I've also suggested that he give the bailiff my brother's mobile phone number, not very nice on my brother I know but he just always has this 'not my problem' sort of attitude, and I cant help but feel he needs to be made accountable for his own actions.

He has no real fixed abode either, he's been staying at my/his mother's for sometime now. I don't really want to encourage my father to tell them where he is currently staying as this is not my Mother's problem either.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Old 24 August 2004, 09:16 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

If the court order is in your brothers name the bailiff can only remove goods from your fathers property that belong to your brother.

It sounds to me that your brother needs a sharp introduction to reality. Maybe you _should_ tell the bailiffs where to find him
Old 24 August 2004, 09:21 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Smack him one, take his car keys and give them to the bailiffs. You don't drop your family in it, and more-so you don't then ignore the mess you've made. Serious value problems.

You could try and get him to be at your fathers when the bailiffs are due and make sure they are aware that the car is the only property which is his.
Old 24 August 2004, 09:29 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Further to DocJock's comments...

I had an "issue" with a particular council in the UK, with respect to Poll Tax. The council had my parents address and, eventually, sent the bailiffs in. My parents told the bailiffs that I no longer lived there, nor had any property there, and that they had fallen out with me and didn't know of my whereabouts. That was the last anyone heard from the bailiffs or the council.

The bailiffs may decide to inform the DVLA of the fact that the car is registered incorrectly, which may cause your brother more problems that paying the bailiffs (if stopped by the Police or if he has an accident). His insurance could also be invalid.

Furthermore, your parents' credit rating will probably be damaged as a result, if he doesn't pay up - credit checks show all details for all people at the same address with the same surname.
Old 24 August 2004, 09:37 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Lightbulb

Have a read of Debt Help UK for lots of useful information.

mb
Old 24 August 2004, 09:50 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Some useful advice on that link Boomer.

Furthermore, your parents' credit rating will probably be damaged as a result, if he doesn't pay up - credit checks show all details for all people at the same address with the same surname.
Already bin there, done that. I've written to the credit agencies, informing them my brother doesn't live there and has nothing to do with my father. That's all done and dusted now.

You kinda woulda thought that'd be the end of it really ...............
Old 25 August 2004, 12:19 AM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Hi mate,

sorry to hear this - try this tried and tested solution :

Call up Northampton Traffic Enforcement Centre or visit :

http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/cms/3848.htm

Download and fill forms PE2 and PE3 and get these countersigned, either for free at your local county court or for a small fee at a solicitor's office. MAKE SURE you file the appeal against one of the listed reasons and include proof/correspondence/relevant information.

Send this to the Northampton TEC address. They'll receive, check and fax to local authority who are responsible for the penalty charge. They'll stop bailiff action pending an 'investigation' - successful 9 times out of 10 if it's for a valid reason and the penalty notice will be quashed.

This is 99% guaranteed method mate - I've had countless problems with those idiot Local Authorities and the muppets they employ as traffic wardens !!!

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on !

Jai