Other
22.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

AA or RAC?

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 05:20 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AA or RAC?

Just switched cars and so I don't have subaru assured anymore

Been a couple years since I had it, used to be with RAC and no probs.

Who do people prefer, costs, service, features etcetcetc?

Ed
Old 20 August 2004, 05:55 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some issues with the AA. First I don't like their relay system: moving cars on & off transporters is the best way to damage them, the AA's relay system means your car could be on & off-loaded several times in a trip.

A couple of years back, an AA truck came to fix a car from next door. Afterwards, the driver made a complete hash of getting out of the large drive & knocked over my wall leaving his smashed indicators behind + me witnessing the event. He claimed it wasn't him & I had to get very legal with the AA who refused all responsibility. They eventually paid for the damage after my starting legal action, but I never got an apology & would never buy any AA brand again.

An example of the RAC.
I changed from the AA to the RAC for my car, a BMW 333i Turbo. I live in Somerset & used to have all the work done by AVA, Glasgow. I was driving in Bristol 2 weeks after changing from the AA to the RAC & got noise from the gearbox. AVA diagnosed the dead gearbox over the phone & I called the RAC. I expected them to take me home. They came out & I explained about the car. Without ANY hassle, they got a flatbed truck & loaded on my car. The guy then took it straight to AVA, Glasgow - some 450 miles each way. He called me when he got to AVA, Glasgow so I knew the car was ok. He also dropped me off at a car hire place on the way (my choice) & the RAC paid for a hire car for 3 days. (They would also have paid for a taxi home.)

High recommendation for the RAC from me!
Old 20 August 2004, 06:04 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Oh another AA story...

My (ex)wife crashed her car coming off the motorway, after calling the police, I then called the AA to sort out the car (no injuries, no other traffic involved - just crap driving). Which was off the motorway & over the verge & against a tree. The AA sent out complete muppets who drove the 1 mile from their workshop to the RTA site, then onto the motorway & went 40 miles out of their way for no reason. They were in a huge flat bed big enough to take an artic! This was for a Renault 21. After a huge delay while the truck got back to the RTA site (with the police getting VERY grumpy with them) they eventually winched the car & recovered it. I was sent a bill for £275 from the agents which I refused to pay - & I never have done!
Old 20 August 2004, 07:02 PM
WR1 Ant
Scooby Regular

Talking

RAC have just won the JD power servey.
And it looks like they are going to win the scoobynet servey.
Old 20 August 2004, 07:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Britannia Rescue have been good to me over the years. DL
Old 20 August 2004, 09:46 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Ok looks like back to RAC for me!

Thanks peeps.
Old 20 August 2004, 09:50 PM
Ederboy
Scooby Regular

I still like the AA
Old 20 August 2004, 11:17 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

I've been with the AA for 11 years and they have always been excellent for me...... and i have owned 3 Fiat Uno Turbo's, so I've called them a fair few times.

They did relay twice with my impreza from Glasgow to API in Leamington Spa - car arrived next day with no faults, probs etc. Called to say it had arrived safe and well.
Old 20 August 2004, 11:23 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Mondial Assistance? Isn't this the company that operates Subaru Assist? Seems a lot more reasonable than the competitors.
Old 20 August 2004, 11:45 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

I just signed up for the AA, as they are currently offering £86 for me and my wife.

Steve.
Old 21 August 2004, 11:40 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

AA for the last 21 years.

For me, utterly faultless.

I believe they have far more of their own patrols too than the RAC, who are more likely to send you out a private contractor.

Oh, and they aren't hassling salesmen!!
Old 21 August 2004, 12:53 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Allways used RAC - Thumbs up from me every time

We once called the AA when we overheated on the M6, told them it was a 4WD Golf Turbo, so send a flatbed, they turned up with a spec lift as they said there was no such thing as a 4wd Golf Turbo.. Well VW may never have made it ... T0ssers took about 2 hours to get a flatbed sorted!
Old 21 August 2004, 05:59 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Just joined Green Flag for £25.10
Old 21 August 2004, 07:03 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

It is worth being aware that Green Flag have been closely associated with support of speed cameras and organisations who campaign for increasing numbers of such devices. In view of the cynical way cameras are being used, and in view of the growing acceptance that they have resulted in an increase in road deaths I will certainly not be putting any of my cash in the direction of Green Flag I'm afraid. Those who are with them may care to write to the company pointing out that their breakdown service might be great but their anti-motorist position is less appealing. If no one tells them then they can't know I suppose.

After recent announcements by police that most of the regulations governing the positioning of cameras were to be abandoned plus a survey by Green Flag which, it seems, indicated that the vast majority of motorists supported cameras this is what Green Flag had to say:

Nigel Charlesworth, Green Flag spokesperson, said: "Speed cameras have received a lot of bad press in recent years, and in particular mobile cameras. But when positioned in areas of high risk they can save lives."
Old 21 August 2004, 08:41 PM
WRX Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog

Nigel Charlesworth, Green Flag spokesperson, said: "Speed cameras have received a lot of bad press in recent years, and in particular mobile cameras. But when positioned in areas of high risk they can save lives."
What's wrong with that

P.S this is why i use the Road Angel
Old 21 August 2004, 09:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Brittannia Rescue are the Kiddies!!

I wouldn't give the AA the dripping off my nose - I HATE them!!

Pete
Old 21 August 2004, 09:08 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

It's comforting to know pslewis on the right is covered. :

Old 21 August 2004, 09:16 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

RAC without question.

I am in the RAC and my sister is in the AA.

we have both owned our faur share of bangers over the years so have had to call on both services several times.
Never had any specific incidents that stand against the AA, but the whole RAC package seems to be that bit better, from the initial call for assistance to the attitudes and helpfullness of the patrols.

As for who has the most patrols, it might vary from area to area, in Aberdeen, we have both had a fairly even split of our call-outs between AA/RAC patrols and local contractors.
I see slightly more RAC vehicles going about though.
Old 21 August 2004, 09:35 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRX Wannabe
What's wrong with that
Accidents increased at 743 camera sites last year. Last year more people died on the roads than in any year since 1997. Take a look over here and see the data for yourself:

http://www.safespeed.org.uk/fatality.html

As someone interested in road safety I wouldn't want to support an organisation which supports speed cameras, a device which kills road users. I don't imagine there are many animal rights supporters who wear fur coats for example. Even the man from Green Flag had to admit that the cameras were unpopular and what he is hinting at is that more mobile, hidden devices are required.

As I've pointed out before there is no "good" place to put a camera. Most people imagine schools and hospitals to be a "good" place until they consider the matter. The average driver will spend 5 out of the 8 seconds it takes to approach and cross a junction with a speed camera watching his speedo. Would you really want him or her doing this outside a school? Can you see why increasing cameras result in increasing deaths?

You might want to write to Green Flag pointing out that you find their support for machines that kill road users a bit strange. They might not know.
Old 21 August 2004, 09:40 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Been with the AA for 13 years. Most recent incident was when the TVR started billowing steam and dumping coolant all over the place. They sent a "spanners truck" who couldn't fix it, so they took me and the passengers home (we unloaded all our gear from the boot of the car into the truck). Then they sent a flatbed to take the car away. As it was Sunday, they stored the car overnight, then took it to my preferred repairer (some 60 miles away) on Monday morning.
Old 22 August 2004, 02:33 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Green Flag all the way for me - The speed camera debate is for another thread - I was with Green Flag for years and they never let me down. Then I bought Japanese cars and decided I didnt need to be with a breakdown company. Then I joined Scoobynet, read about all the potential problems with my 99 UK scoob and will be joining Green Flag again this week even though I too am concerned with road safety!!?
Old 22 August 2004, 02:53 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I agree Abdabz that what some nutter in their marketing department thinks is a good idea and what their actual service is like are probably two different things.

Might be worthwhile to write and let them know though, they probably even have an email address for customer services so it's the work of 2 minutes. Down the line it might save the life of some road user.
Old 22 August 2004, 03:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Thing is hedgehog - without wishing to sound contentious - I am an advocaat for the speed camera - so support their marketing nutters 100%.
Like I say - the reasons for this are for another thread...
Old 22 August 2004, 03:37 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

What's advocaat got to do with it?
Old 22 August 2004, 03:59 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

I like advocaats - their long snouts delving into ants and termites nests