Help with applying for Spanish residents permit please

Search this Thread

Old 20 August 2004, 02:30 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with applying for Spanish residents permit please

Hi,

For quite some time now my wife and I have been considering a permanent move to Spain (at least for a few years) - we are regular visitors, love the people there, have started speaking the language (albeit very basically but we are nevertheless trying to make the effort...) and have found an area we really love (Competa) and can afford to buy a small house in that area for cash (once we've sold our U.K base and released equity) plus have a few quid in the bank for a few years.

My main concern is the residents permit. I know that as an EU citizen I can live there for a while but will need to apply for a permit within 6 months. It would seem as though I'd need to have a medical with a Spanish quack and the problem for me is that I have diabetes (insulin dependent) and some of the difficulties that go with that like high blood pressure.

I'm only 32 and run my own businesses (of which I may or may not keep domiliciled in the U.K as they are Internet type projects) and pretty healthy otherwise as anyone who knows me on here will vouch. My question is - would I be turned down for a permit because of diabetes or are they more looking for immediate life threatening and social services draining illnesses? I'd be gutted if my illness prevented us from having this chance.

Also, I wouldn't intend working out there straight away as my U.K interests may provide me with a few quid plus I'd have the benefits of no mortgage or liabilities and some savings. Would this be an issue and what level of financial security would the Spanish authorities accept as being acceptable (by way of savings to show we can support ourselves)?

Also, has anyone else done a move like this and what are your thoughts now about the way you did it with the benefit of hindsight? Any pitfuls I've not mentioned?

Any help really appreciated.

Russ
Old 20 August 2004, 02:42 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Given the recent changes about a common EU medical insurance card (replacing the E111), I'd be amazed if you were turned down on such grounds. I'd hazard a guess that it was illegal under EU law, too. I'd have thought they could only reject you if you had something like Ebola; ie a threat to public health. However, I really know nothing, so will stand corrected.

Best of luck.
Old 20 August 2004, 02:44 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussBoy
Hi,

For quite some time now my wife and I have been considering a permanent move to Spain (at least for a few years) - we are regular visitors, love the people there, have started speaking the language (albeit very basically but we are nevertheless trying to make the effort...) and have found an area we really love (Competa) and can afford to buy a small house in that area for cash (once we've sold our U.K base and released equity) plus have a few quid in the bank for a few years.

My main concern is the residents permit. I know that as an EU citizen I can live there for a while but will need to apply for a permit within 6 months. It would seem as though I'd need to have a medical with a Spanish quack and the problem for me is that I have diabetes (insulin dependent) and some of the difficulties that go with that like high blood pressure.

I'm only 32 and run my own businesses (of which I may or may not keep domiliciled in the U.K as they are Internet type projects) and pretty healthy otherwise as anyone who knows me on here will vouch. My question is - would I be turned down for a permit because of diabetes or are they more looking for immediate life threatening and social services draining illnesses? I'd be gutted if my illness prevented us from having this chance.

Also, I wouldn't intend working out there straight away as my U.K interests may provide me with a few quid plus I'd have the benefits of no mortgage or liabilities and some savings. Would this be an issue and what level of financial security would the Spanish authorities accept as being acceptable (by way of savings to show we can support ourselves)?

Also, has anyone else done a move like this and what are your thoughts now about the way you did it with the benefit of hindsight? Any pitfuls I've not mentioned?

Any help really appreciated.

Russ
I'm assuming you're British and therefore a EU citizen.

I've not done it but my understanding is that you don't have to apply for a Residencia as you will be considered a resident for taxation purposes once you have spent more than 182 days there.

Certainly, it would be a good idea to apply for your NIE number at this stage which despite what people tell you, can be applied for without a property and it the document you need to open bank accounts, buy property etc.

If you do apply for a Residencia, then you need copies of your passport/bank details to show income and proof of medical insurance but I'm not aware of any requirement for a medical; I'd have thought your E111 would suffice.

Given that Spain and the UK have a double taxation treaty you shouldn't find any problems there with any income.

I'll stop now, in case you're not British.
Old 20 August 2004, 03:14 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, and yes, I am British.

Also, regarding medical insurance - it is a major pain as a diabetic to get this - I have life insurance (taken out before I was diagnosed) and some critical illness (again, I must have had good foresight as I'd never get this now) but don't think I'd fare too well in terms of finding someone to insure me for medical grounds (risk of heart disease, stroke, blindness etc. is a lot higher amongst diabetics along with the high risk day to day possibilities like hypos etc.) Again, if anyone knows of a decent insurer who'd do this affordably for me whilst in Spain it'd be a great help...

Ta.

R

Last edited by RussBoy; 20 August 2004 at 03:23 PM.
Old 20 August 2004, 03:30 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

I don't know about medical insurance but you could try contacting BUPA who also have worldwide plans. As far as the diabetes is concerned, it's a non-starter as a worry because the Spanish have some of the best medical facilities going; just pop in to the hospital in Motril if you have any doubts. Provided that you have made sufficient NI contributions in the UK which I would have thought likely given your age you will be entitled to medical care in Spain - you will need E111/121 though.

Enjoy it. Axarquia is a lovely area.
Old 20 August 2004, 03:58 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Faire D'Income
I don't know about medical insurance but you could try contacting BUPA who also have worldwide plans.
Great tip - just called them and spoke with a lovely sounding girl who quoted me £75 a month for private medical cover in Spain anw worldwide excluding the U.S. They won't cover my diabetes or any related diabetic illnesses but those could be sorted with the E111 (which I assume is ongoing with no expiry date?) which as you say, would probably still give me a better level of care than in the U.K hospitals anyhow.

My last remaining issue would be with my check-ups and my prescriptions (insulin etc.) - would the spanish health service provide this under E111 or would I need to pay for this over and above the private healthcare?

Thanks again to all for the advice - feel a bit better about applying now

R
Old 20 August 2004, 04:03 PM
lem0ncurd
Scooby Regular

Hi,

My partner and I have been living in Spain for the past 2 years. It is no longer legally necessary to apply for residencia here if you are British, although it might be useful for bank accounts etc. I have the NIE (Numero Identidad Espanol) number for working here for taxation purposesand as soon as you start work you will also be eligible for a Social Security number which will allow you all the privileges of a spanish national in terms of the health service, unemployment benefit etc.

When applying for residency I don't think they ask you any health related questions in order to qualify for residency, so your diabetes won't be an issue there.

All in all, moving to Spain was the best thing that we ever did and the quality of life is inmeasurably better than in England - there is literally nothing that we miss about the UK, maybe except for the beer.

If u need any help/advice, don't hesitate to PM me.

Good luck!

LC
Old 20 August 2004, 04:23 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RussBoy
My last remaining issue would be with my check-ups and my prescriptions (insulin etc.) - would the spanish health service provide this under E111 or would I need to pay for this over and above the private healthcare?
R
In a nutshell, yes. Lemoncurd will be able to tell you more but the Spanish are far more liberal in terms of what is prescribed and what is OTC. For instance, I used to use a steroidal cream for prickly heat which I don't get anymore (luckily) which is a prescribed medicine in the UK but was OTC in Spain. I'm not suggesting that insulin would be as easy to get hold of but provided you have sufficient NI contributions in the UK then whatever is available in the UK is available in Spain.

The only point I would add to LCs post is that if you want employment in Spain, make sure that you have a minimum of six months in your contract otherwise you will miss out on some unemployment and social security benefits. In your case, this is probably irrelevant but worth pointing out.
Old 20 August 2004, 05:01 PM
RussBoy
Scooby Regular

Thanks a million for all your help guys and I may well take you up on that offer at some point LC!

R