Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

8 glasses of water a day-how much tho?

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2004, 11:37 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8 glasses of water a day-how much tho?

i know they say u should drink 8 glasses of water a day-but what size do they class as a glass?
is it 8 pints a day-god hope not spend a lot of time in loo if it is....
also does it have to be pure water or can it be with orange or black currant etc?
Old 17 August 2004, 11:46 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

8 glasses of 250ml so a total of 2 litres.

I should imagine with orange etc is ok as the sugar in it allows you to absorb more water.
Old 17 August 2004, 11:50 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

depending on how much u excersise 1.5 - 2 litres (approx 4 pints), if u excersise lots then drink more I drink 3 sometimes 4. if u downed 4 pints in a morning you would just be in the toilet for ages, so space it out over the day. Most things u add to water don't help you and lots can even be a duratic (dehydrating) so don't bother!
Old 17 August 2004, 11:51 PM
^OPM^
Scooby Regular

not much exercise at mo-as im off sick with a sprained ankle but i normally do karate 3 times a week-and by god do i sweat then lol-like a pig
Old 17 August 2004, 11:53 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
I should imagine with orange etc is ok as the sugar in it allows you to absorb more water.
to be honest in general there is far too much refined sugar in a typical diet anyway so to drink more is prob not the best. Also some artificial sweetners used in squash are not very good for you and can still cause an insulin splike giving you a craving for more carbs/sugar
Old 17 August 2004, 11:55 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Sorry I was actually referring to adding fresh orange, sorry i didnt read first post correctly
Old 18 August 2004, 09:29 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I looked into this and the recommended daily intake is what has just been said about 2 ltrs but you dont need to actually drink this amount off water because alot of foods etc you eat during the day contain a fair amount of water, if u drink tea or coffee, theres more water... you dont realise it but alot of people consume alot of water without even drinking pure water....

personally drink about 2 litres now, steadied down after knowing that a gallon of water can be very bad for you and I was drinking a good 4-5 litres per day for a good few weeks
Old 18 August 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

A glass like a normal half pint glass about 3/4 full.

Sip on it apparently.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:58 AM
Andrew Dixon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
I looked into this and the recommended daily intake is what has just been said about 2 ltrs but you dont need to actually drink this amount off water because alot of foods etc you eat during the day contain a fair amount of water, if u drink tea or coffee, theres more water... you dont realise it but alot of people consume alot of water without even drinking pure water....

personally drink about 2 litres now, steadied down after knowing that a gallon of water can be very bad for you and I was drinking a good 4-5 litres per day for a good few weeks
As was said before, don't coffee and tea have a diuretic effect? I have read a few times that a coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, etc. don't really count towards your water intake.
Old 18 August 2004, 10:05 AM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

As was said before, don't coffee and tea have a diuretic effect? I have read a few times that a coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, etc. don't really count towards your water intake.
When I started kickboxing it was recommended that I drink lots of water (at least 2 ltrs a day) to replace the fluids that I lost. My girlfriend at the time who was a nurse did tell me that coffe, tea and fizzy drinks containing caffeine have a dehydrating effect as it takes the kidneys 3 units of water to discrete 1 unit of caffeine.

Not sure how true it is though.
Old 18 August 2004, 10:12 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you need 2 litres a day (more if you are bigger or exercise) for my body weight i need 3 lt before i start to exercise.

many foods have water in them (fruit is obvious one)

but coffee and tea is not clever. i work on the basis that every 1 cup of tea/coffee/coke/etc is 2 EXTRA cups of water needed.

In other words if you go all day with no water and 3-4 cups of coffee you are running at about -1 lt!
Old 18 August 2004, 10:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

OK then coffee and tea are no good, I simpley picked up on something that obviously contained water, I drink niether anyhow so I wasnt really to know or give 2 hoots but there u go... as said though Fruits is another way of consuming water
Old 18 August 2004, 10:26 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

I drink niether anyhow so I wasnt really to know or give 2 hoots but there u go...

nice to dish it out as advice then
Old 18 August 2004, 10:32 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

erm, didnt give it as advice, I just said that you dont need to nessisarilly need to drink straight water. u can get it from other things.... I just gave an example of something u get water from never said it was good advice, every1 knows caffine isnt exactly a good thing to take
Old 18 August 2004, 10:35 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

the recommended daily intake is what has just been said about 2 ltrs but you dont need to actually drink this amount off water because alot of foods etc you eat during the day contain a fair amount of water, if u drink tea or coffee, theres more water...

my mistake.........

i suppose you could also have said.....you need 2 litres and if you walk past a fish tank that has water in it as well
Old 18 August 2004, 10:41 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Old 18 August 2004, 10:43 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

lol.. now I see where your coming from your interpreting my post differently to what I would, notice I said...

"the recommended daily intake is what has just been said about 2 ltrs but you dont need to actually drink this amount off water because alot of foods etc you eat during the day contain a fair amount of water"

then I had a quick on the spot think (which didnt work obviously) and couldnt come up with any foods...lmao so stupidly said drinking coffe and tea.... but I never said I recommend you drink some coffee and tea with your greasy fry up in the morning

Problem resolved anyhow so it doesnt matter