Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Minister attacks A-level critics

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2004, 12:50 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minister attacks A-level critics

The rising pass rate at A-level shows standards are rising, not that exams are getting easier, the school standards minister has said.
*cough* B0llocks!! *cough*

BBC
Old 17 August 2004, 01:39 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pi55 off SJ.

I'm sorry mate, but i completed my A-levels last year, and if you reckon they are getting easier, you come and do it.

If anything, the syllabus is getting bigger, and expanding with more and more things that the candidate ust know. If you ask me, the modern A-Levels of today are a lot harder than the open book O-Levels or whatever you had in the old days.

So in the defence of students the world over -

UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, SHUTUP.
Old 17 August 2004, 01:43 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Tucker - Prepare yourself
Old 17 August 2004, 01:44 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

I completed A-Levels 5 years ago. I feel exams generally are getting "easier". Still tough - but not as tough.

imo
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

I am.... waiting for a 5 page thread arguing about this. Got my spell checker ready and my dictionary out. I am a student after all!

I feel obliged to defend my kind. But thanks for the warning!!! lol
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

touchy eh?
I did A levels 10 years ago and they do seem to be getting easier. The French and German papers have a lot less grammar issues in them for a start.

Why else do we have the meteoric year on year rise in A grades and the introduction of super A grades when we don't appear to be breeding super-kids?

For the record, I'd say your come back of '**** off' didn't exactly help your cause
Old 17 August 2004, 01:45 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

i compared my a level papers from 1998 to last years.

BIG difference
Old 17 August 2004, 01:47 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

My brother was (....and still is, lol) 4 years older than me. I looked at his work and compared to mine; it was tougher. My A-Levels were less difficult (better term than easier).

I would have only got C's and D's in his era. Only 4 year gap!!
Old 17 August 2004, 01:48 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

i'm not touchy, i just dont appreciate ppl saying that effectively, the grades i worked my *** off for 2 years are worth sod all.

I didnt take languages, but i know people who did, and they had to focus more on spoken french rather than written. And IMHO it is more important to be able to hold a proper convo rather than knowing 5 million verbs in every tense, without learing how to string them together...
Old 17 August 2004, 01:51 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tucker101uk
i'm not touchy, i just dont appreciate ppl saying that effectively, the grades i worked my *** off for 2 years are worth sod all.

I didnt take languages, but i know people who did, and they had to focus more on spoken french rather than written. And IMHO it is more important to be able to hold a proper convo rather than knowing 5 million verbs in every tense, without learing how to string them together...
Year on year its a gradual improvement in grades. I've done A-levels and accept this trend to be a resultant of less strict marking/easier exams.....call it what you will.

Nobody is suggesting your results means "sod all". Just that exams are becoming less difficult over time. Mine were, I accept that.
Old 17 August 2004, 01:55 PM
Cold Turkey
Scooby Regular

Angry

I don't think anyone is saying you are stupid or your results mean sod all! I think it has more to do with this govts obsession with manipulating statistics to make themselves look good...
Old 17 August 2004, 01:55 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

Fair enough. All that im saying is that i dont think that the exams are getting that much easier, even if they are...
IMHO they aren't. But i respect other ppls opinions, each to there own.

/Rant mode
Old 17 August 2004, 01:56 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cold Turkey
I don't think anyone is saying you are stupid or your results mean sod all! I think it has more to do with this govts obsession with manipulating statistics to make themselves look good...
Agreed on that one.
Old 17 August 2004, 01:58 PM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

their own
Old 17 August 2004, 01:59 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by darts_aint_sport
their own

Deduct 2 marks from final grade.
Old 17 August 2004, 02:01 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well thats a shame as they are!

Or at least they are worth a lot less than they used to be.

Not only that but by sending 50% of people to uni to get a degree, degrees will become devalued too. People with degrees earn more because historically there has been a shortage of supply, by increasing supply, demand will remain constant, and hence reduction in salary.

If I had a child of coming up to that age in the next coupke of years I'd be suggesting they work as plumber electrician etc and not bother with a degree, as I belive that there is now no benefit to a degree. You will probably leave with loads of debt, in many courses there is a lack of demand for your skills and you are 3 or 4 years behind on the career ladder!
Old 17 August 2004, 02:03 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
Well thats a shame as they are!

Or at least they are worth a lot less than they used to be.

Not only that but by sending 50% of people to uni to get a degree, degrees will become devalued too. People with degrees earn more because historically there has been a shortage of supply, by increasing supply, demand will remain constant, and hence reduction in salary.

If I had a child of coming up to that age in the next coupke of years I'd be suggesting they work as plumber electrician etc and not bother with a degree, as I belive that there is now no benefit to a degree. You will probably leave with loads of debt, in many courses there is a lack of demand for your skills and you are 3 or 4 years behind on the career ladder!
Thats true. degrees carry nothing like the status they used to.
Old 17 August 2004, 02:12 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

epecially not when you can get a degree in turf management and Middle Earth hobbit thingy language.
I think my brain has gone to jelly this afternoon!!
Old 17 August 2004, 02:15 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Pi55 off SJ.

I'm sorry mate, but i completed my A-levels last year, and if you reckon they are getting easier, you come and do it.

If anything, the syllabus is getting bigger, and expanding with more and more things that the candidate ust know. If you ask me, the modern A-Levels of today are a lot harder than the open book O-Levels or whatever you had in the old days.

So in the defence of students the world over -

UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, SHUTUP.
Weren't O-Levels the GCSE equivalent?
Old 17 August 2004, 02:15 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

I give up with this argument. IMO my grades are worth what i aimed for. And noone on SN is gonna persuade me any different. Its like saying O-Levels are worth nothin now, as they are out of date. Sorry all you guys, but you now officially have no education.

Doesnt fly does it?

PS we are talking about A-levels not Degrees - and what about HNC/Ds?
Old 17 August 2004, 02:16 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Weren't O-Levels the GCSE equivalent?

Yes, but harder.
Old 17 August 2004, 02:18 PM
jasey
Scooby Senior

and what about HNC/Ds?
Have they replaced MP3 ?
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

I give up with this argument. IMO my grades are worth what i aimed for. And noone on SN is gonna persuade me any different. Its like saying O-Levels are worth nothin now, as they are out of date. Sorry all you guys, but you now officially have no education.

Doesnt fly does it?

PS we are talking about A-levels not Degrees - and what about HNC/Ds?
Fair enough. Again, nobody suggested your grades are worthless. An A-level grade is an A-level grade.

Exams are becoming less hard to get better grades in though. Kids are generally as clever each year but each year the pass rate creeps up that little bit each time. Not coincidence is it.
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Talking

"No education".
"Nothin"
"i"
I think we can punctuate (and not resort to long words) even in our dotage!
Old 17 August 2004, 02:19 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Pi55 off SJ.

If you ask me, the modern A-Levels of today are a lot harder than the open book O-Levels or whatever you had in the old days.
Can you explain what open book 'O' levels were as I must have missed out somewhere? I can't comment on 'A' levels, but I can say that the modern GCSEs are easier than the older 'O' levels - having sat both types of exams.
Old 17 August 2004, 02:25 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoob_babe
"No education".
"Nothin"
"i"
I think we can punctuate (and not resort to long words) even in our dotage!
I doo apologize my spel chequer appeers to be not werking.

Old 17 August 2004, 02:25 PM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Yes, but harder.
Thought so.
Old 17 August 2004, 02:26 PM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good job you didn't take the A-Levels of yesteryear then or you'd be shafted

I'd say today's standard of A-Levels is probably about the same as O-Levels. Now, if you were comparing today's A-Levels with the old A-Levels you'd be in a different ball park.

The GCSEs I took were from the second year they were run. The O-Level papers from only two years before were a lot more difficult. We had to do a bridging course to reach the A-Level maths standard due to the reduction in quality and material of the GCSE level. My guess is that they have now brought the A-Level in line to match the GCSE finishing point.

What I don't understand is this whole A* business or whatever it is. What's wrong with the top grade just being an A? Or does that mean that people with an A* effectively have an A, people with an A effectively a B, so people with a C now would effectively have a fail (we used to regard anything below a C a fail ).

Tucker, I'm sure you've worked hard for your A-Levels but there does seem to be a trend that they are a lot easier than they used to be (my source being some teachers I know) but that's not your fault. You're just a victim of the modern PC times where it's bad to fail someone
Old 17 August 2004, 02:26 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by angrynorth
Thought so.

lol. Didn't see your previous post. Mwoooaarrpp!!!
Old 17 August 2004, 02:32 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tucker,

I'm sorry if I have offended you. What was quite correctly pointed out on page 1 was that this was intended as a pop at our beloved government.

Do you honestly believe that people of your age are getting brighter and that in 10 years time if the trend continues then the people that will be sitting exams then will be even brighter? I am not saying that what you have worked for is worth sod all. If you feel that you have worked hard then you probably have!

What does beggar belief is that the numbers passing continually rise. There is a point where this cannot go any higher - 100%. At this point, everybody passes and everybody is equal...... sounds like a commie plot to me

And yes, I do know what I am talking about.

Quick Reply: Minister attacks A-level critics