Petrol Remote control cars?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2004, 09:03 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Petrol Remote control cars?

Can anyone recommend a few good ones?

Thinking of getting one for a bit of fun. Seen a few Scooby ones about but they all seem quite low so not really for off road use?

Is there summat to look for when considering one, engine size etc? Would like a 1/8th scale so it's a reasonable size
Old 16 August 2004, 09:06 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I just got a HPi one tonight actually, they seem very strong. Had a look at the dvd that comes with it and they look pretty flash.

Funny thing is I only went to p/x my petrol helicopter for a plane and came out with a new plane and a petrol car
Old 16 August 2004, 09:18 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Oh ha well billy bargain for you then!

Knew there must be some other "big kids" on here apart from me

Girl friend might treat me to one for my B.day and make it part X-mas pressie too depending how much they are.

Seen most for around the £300 mark (includes radio gear etc) is this about right or do you need to spend bit more for a good one?

So what are these HPi ones about then, any web sites about for them?
Old 16 August 2004, 09:35 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

lol it's too tempting going in model shops these days, I remember being a kid and wishing I could have stuff, now I get a bit carried away

The model I bought is the 'Rush Evo', have a look at it (and others) on http://www.hpieurope.com/index.php?lang=en there is also a video section in downloads.

It was £199 complete with controller, all built. All you need extra is a glow supply(£15) and some fuel. DVD is good as it has some excellent engine setup tips for tuning it. I went for this one because it'll go off road and it's rwd for some donut action.
Old 16 August 2004, 09:38 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Petrol - usually 25cc+ chainsaw derived engines, in 1/5th scale, expensive to buy, but a doddle to run and use, less maintenance required and IMO always easier to start. Need lots of space and heavy duty (expensive) radio gear to get the best and use them safely.

Nitro - usually up to about 4cc in cars & trucks, up to 1/6th scale, the norm is 1/8th 3.5cc, you can buy 1/10th scale with .21 engines but they are generally a bit bonkers

how much do you want to spend, and where can you take it??
Old 16 August 2004, 09:49 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

MJ - you sound a bit serious mate! cars wiv chainsaw engines! lol

I was looking at the 1/8th scale ones (nitro I guess they are) for somewhere around the £300 mark give or take a little.

I live opposite a large heath so would be using it mainly on dirt etc. Most nitro ones i have seen have .25 engines, i think anyway, are these any good or even worth considering?

Do these engines have to be rebuilt/serviced or something every now and then or do they run til they blow up?
Old 16 August 2004, 10:14 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

.25 is about 4cc, look after them and they last for years. The nitro engines are a different animal to petrol. To start a petrol, it's a case of fill with fuel and pull the ripcord, nitro engines need glowplug chargers, and matrix style wrist actions, dead easy to flood, and if you get the carb settings wrong they will seize as too lean means too hot.....

You need to see both petrol and nitro cars in action before you choose, nitro is rapid and the smell is mmmmmmm, but 1/5th petrol feels more like the real thing, and is easier to use.

The ****** make pretty good 1?8th nitro buggies, alot of manufacturers all use parts from Hobao<sp?>

have a look at http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=CBC for ideas.

BTW, with the right tyres and suspension, buggies are also good on tarmac, can't imagine why :

Old 16 August 2004, 10:32 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Expect to clean it after almost every couple of tanks of fuel. ANd to be repairing small bits every couple of tanks.

Well thats if your a mad man and rake the **** out of it like I do.

A 1/10th car with a .21 engine is mentally fast and donuts a treat. Dont ask how much I have spent on replacing tyres each week lol
Old 16 August 2004, 11:44 PM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by farmer1
A 1/10th car with a .21 engine is mentally fast and donuts a treat.
I can vouch for that. Had a .21 in my Yokomo GT4 PRO - Mental!

However, for a GOOD laugh, I'd try to get my hands on one of the new Yokomo DRIFT (That's right: DRIFT!) cars. Specifically designed for drifting and mad-as-****, ar$e-out driving! PLUS - they're available with all the classic shells of all your favourite drifting cars: RX7, AE86, 180SX...

http://www.yokomousa.com/index3.htm

LOADS of Hop-up parts: http://www.yokomousa.com/options/mrtc_sd.html

Adjustable Camber, Castor etc to setup the car for the best drifting. Quality attention to detail too: front and rear brake discs, calipers, mirrors, wipers etc!

Here's a movie of the Super Drift Series from Yokomo - 'fraid I don't have a movie of the regular ones, but they're not far off these!
http://www.teamyokomo.com/japan/phot...ckage_6300.mov
Old 17 August 2004, 12:11 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

I keep ripping the tyres off the rims when i take mine offroad!

Got a 1/8th GS Storm XS. 45mph of mental fun Just fly off massive jumps etc on common ground.

Bought mine to play on the beach when i was on holiday
Old 17 August 2004, 12:19 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

http://www.ktmodels.co.uk/html/hyper...-road_bug.html

Me & a mate have one .of these each, they are mental fast & loads of upgrades are available for them.
Have a few vids, I'll post a few tomorrow when I've had chance to compress them

Jay
Old 17 August 2004, 08:12 AM
JayPSC
Scooby Regular

http://www.psc.kicks-***.net/images/rc1.avi

http://www.psc.kicks-***.net/images/rc2.avi

Not bad quality really considering I took it on my Fuji S602Z
Old 17 August 2004, 10:16 AM
DBMSCOOBY99
Scooby Regular

Hi stiscooby

I have got a Nitro Kyosho Inferno DX, that I want to sell (never really used it). It's a limited edition so as got uprated parts like. Engine, full alloy Shocks and better roller bearings fitted.

It has only been run for 5 or 6 tanks of fuel so hasn't had much use. I have still got all the boxes for it. Plus glow starter, R/C Equipment and fuel. So it is ready to run

I will sell it for £150+P&P if you want it.

Looks just like this one but in Blue.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

If you are interested I can take some pictures.

Thanks

Tom
Old 17 August 2004, 11:04 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

got an eighth scale buggy myself thunder tiger eb4rtr with a few mods
some good s/h stuff here http://www.three5models.co.uk/Second%20hand%20kits.htm
more stuff here http://www.modelsport.co.uk/
http://www.rccarsandtrucks.co.uk/
car being built here http://www.twf8.ws/new/tech/car/ttr/...d/tteb4le.html
cheers richie
Old 17 August 2004, 11:07 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^I used to have an EB4 too ^^^

Didn't handled too great so sold it for a comm lathe for my electric racers. Might get a Hyper 7 for next season or blow a load of cash on the new X-Ray

I see your at bridgend richieh, we race electric and nitro 1/8 buggies and trucks in Swansea every Sunday. www.swansearc.co.uk
Old 17 August 2004, 11:13 AM
richieh
Scooby Regular

methinks a trip down the m4 for this weekend is on the cards then
what didnt you like about the handling on the eb4?
richie
Old 17 August 2004, 11:34 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

The steering was very stiff and I never really got it sorted properly. I bought heavy duty servos which did improve things a bit and after 6 or 7 minutes in the final the brakes would start to go off.

Was OK but needed the lathe more as I'd decided to commit to electric this season. Theres usually at least 5 rallycrossers which makes a decent heat but theres about 10 in total in the club. Outdoor season we have about 20 regulars but when we go indoors and race electric tourers we get near double that entries each week.

Next week theres a few people away but the timing gear will be in operation (transponders in the cars count lap time, position, no. of laps etc.) but the week after is a 3 day event. Sat is track prep drink and BBQ, Sunday is racing with BBQ and drink in the evening and Monday is our 1000 lap race fun day so weather permitting it will be a good weekend.

Our forum should keep you informed of coming events. I'll more than likely be going this Sunday, weather permitting.
Old 17 August 2004, 12:20 PM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Get an HPi Savage. They are awesome and available in Halfords for approx £400
Old 17 August 2004, 03:14 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

I have a Hyper 7 and it is a lovely piece of kit, got the compulsory Scoob nitro as well
Old 17 August 2004, 03:17 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sillysi
I have a Hyper 7 and it is a lovely piece of kit, got the compulsory Scoob nitro as well
Nearly all but about 2 of our nitro members run 7s. 2 of the lads are sponsored by CML so that pretty much means its 7s or nothing for them.
Old 17 August 2004, 07:16 PM
ScoobyRuss
Scooby Regular

A useful website for you http://www.brca.org/ British Radio Car Association. Lists most model shops and RC car manufactures. Also Rules and regulation if you want to start racing. I started about 9 years ago. Once you started you cannot stop. It can be a very expensive sport. Lads I work with are sponsored by CML. They used to do 1/8th off road which is ace fun. They have now moved to 1/10 on road touring.

Old 17 August 2004, 09:27 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, these "Hyper 7's" seem to be being the ones to go for?

Is there much difference between the "Hyper 7 sport" and the "Hyper 7"? They are about £80 difference in price respectively with the Hyper 7 being £299.99?

With these buggies can you get some sort of conversion kit so you could say put a scoob shell on it most Scoob cars I have seen are more like the touring cars and low to the ground so will be limited to using them only on tarmac.

Anyone know if the 1/8th scale scoob which is on this web site for £299 is any good? http://www.storacingproducts.com/rc-...s/34/index.htm
Old 18 August 2004, 09:43 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Theres a fair few variants of Hyper 7 and what does and doesn't come with the car differ alot too from rtr to just the car only.

Don't think you can get conversions for fitting scooby shells but you can get on-road wheels and tires so with some well placed body posts it might work. You can get monster truck conversions for them but they look a bit pants.

The kit mentioned in the link looks ok but the main thing to consider when buying is parts backup. Thunder Tiger can be a bugger to find parts for and I don't know what make the linked model is but its worth checking before you buy as some shops might sell you the car then tell you they can't get parts.
Old 18 August 2004, 10:16 AM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

Have a look at www.habao.com for the various specs of the Hyper 7. One of the main differences from the Pro version to the RTR and Sport is the suspension, IIRC the later two both use a pivot ball suspension which does not allow for adjustable camber which you get on the Pro version. This is probably not a must unless you are into serious competition racing. Also the engines differ slightly, the RTR has a starter box with a 8 port engine and the Sport has a pull start 4 port engine. The Pro also uses some graphite parts.

Unless you are going to do serious competition then I would recommend the RTR version as it pretty much has everything you need to get going. I have the Pro version. There was no radio gear with it but I have plenty of spare kit so this was not a problem.

Only thing I have found with the Hyper 7 is that the factory needle settings seem to be well out. They suggest main needle 4 turns out and low end needle 3.5 out for running in, myself and others have found that this just floods the engine and won't start. I currently have mine set to - main needle 2 1/2 turns out and low end needle currently flush to body but this does need adjusting as low end push is a bit lacking.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:30 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that info!

I have found this site with most models listed - http://www.three5models.co.uk/1_8_kit_gas_off2.htm - thing I can't work out is, which one is better the "hyper 7" or the "hyper 7 PBS"? The "pro" is out of my price range so that is a no no.

The PBS is listed with the engine but the Hyper 7 doesn't actually say if the engine comes with it although it is pictured?
Old 18 August 2004, 09:38 PM
richieh
Scooby Regular

give em a bell m8
tell them what you want and take their advice
sound guys to deal with
richie
Old 18 August 2004, 09:44 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

The Hyper 7 is the one down from the Pro version. It comes with the engine but no radio gear. You would also need to buy the glowplug starter, fuel and batteries. A friend has this model and it really is a good piece of kit.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:55 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

If anyone wants to buy any road cars give me a shout. I have a Serpent Vector 1/8th scale ready to run with new engine, new shell and top quality servos in it, and a Kyosho V1-S 1/10th scale ready to run with Lynx 3D radio gear, crystals and loads of spares. Both going for a song.
Old 18 August 2004, 09:55 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Ah right ok thanks.

So in kind of spec order and probably price they are:

Hyper 7 Pro
Hyper 7
Hyper 7 PBS
Hyper 7 sport

That right? think I got my head round it now, and the Pro and Hyper 7 are the only ones you can adjust the camber/caster on?

To be honest I would rather prefer to get seperate radio gear as I'm not too keen on the controller you get with it (the trigger/wheel type).

Well think i'm bit further forward now! thanks for all your help. Off to find the best deal
Old 18 August 2004, 10:13 PM
sillysi
Scooby Regular

You got it

I know what you mean about the controllers, I much prefer the stick type. If you do get your own radio gear make sure the servos are metal hi-torque as the steering will be weak with "standard" servos.

Si.

Quick Reply: Petrol Remote control cars?