Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: Have standards sliped in the UK??
Yes - standards have dropped. People respect each other less.
91.89%
It hasn't changed.
8.11%
Its better now than it has ever been.
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

A slip of standards.....

Search this Thread

Old 13 August 2004, 08:58 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A slip of standards.....

From another thread I am asking the question.

Question :

Is England suffering a general slip/dropping of standards? Is there less respect and is the counrty becoming a worse place to live.....

(I'd do a poll but I haven't a clue how to.....someone could if you know how to??)
Old 13 August 2004, 09:02 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
From another thread I am asking the question.

Question :

Is England suffering a general slip/dropping of standards? Is there less respect and is the counrty becoming a worse place to live.....

(I'd do a poll but I haven't a clue how to.....someone could if you know how to??)
Slipping or changing?? They have certainly changed since I was a kid, and IMHO not for the better.

Try "Thread Tools" at the top???
Old 13 August 2004, 09:06 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Slipping or changing?? They have certainly changed since I was a kid, and IMHO not for the better.

Try "Thread Tools" at the top???

All done.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

btt
Old 13 August 2004, 09:33 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Quite a bit of voting, not much discussion, TBH think it is pretty much open and shut as for the most part it is down to personal perception
Old 13 August 2004, 09:38 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Quite a bit of voting, not much discussion, TBH think it is pretty much open and shut as for the most part it is down to personal perception

The results say it all.

I can only assume that scoobynutta555 hasn't seen this yet.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:53 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Could be, or maybe he thinks the same as you but just feels the need to put in a balancing viewpoint. I have been known to do that on occasion.
Old 13 August 2004, 09:57 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Could be, or maybe he thinks the same as you but just feels the need to put in a balancing viewpoint. I have been known to do that on occasion.

Definately not. He meant what he said 100% !!

Old 13 August 2004, 12:06 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

btt - I want loads of votes on this one please.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:12 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

. .
Old 13 August 2004, 12:19 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

BTW AP, you keep saying England, Scotland is just as bad imo.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:24 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
BTW AP, you keep saying England, Scotland is just as bad imo.

I couldn't comment, not been there. Wales always seemed nice to me hence why I'm not saying Britain.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:25 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Take it from me then
Old 13 August 2004, 12:27 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Take it from me then

I shall do. My mate stayed in Glasgow....the GORGOLS or something?? He works for P&O Cruises and was staying there for 3 months. Pretty wack apparently.
Old 13 August 2004, 12:31 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Talking

The GORBALS

Classy area
Old 13 August 2004, 12:32 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiPie
The GORBALS

Classy area
Thats the one.

Bars on windows and stuff. Pure Heroin addict, Ewan Macgregor trainspotting peasant-ville.
Old 13 August 2004, 01:02 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I shall do. My mate stayed in Glasgow....the GORGOLS or something?? He works for P&O Cruises and was staying there for 3 months. Pretty wack apparently.
Yeah the Gorbals m8. tbo the Gorbals are not nearly as bad as it's reputation leads folk to believe. And in terms of regeneration Glasgow overall is actually performing pretty well, as well, if not better than many in the UK. l think it's up there with Manchester as one of the most successful cities in sorting out its scum and pox ridden housing schemes etc.

Easterhouse, Drumchapel and Castlemilk are still pretty wild but even they have been given a good lick and polish No if you want to see wack Glasgow at it's finest then you need to pay a visit to Calton, Brigton, Balornock, Denniston, Haghill or Garthamlock.

Parts of Paisley on the other hand have more violence and lowlife scum than Glasgow and every other town in Scotland put together. Feegie Park imo is one of the most crime ravaged desperate housing schemes on the planet, far worse than any in Glasgow. I wont even mention, Wishaw, Bellshill, Coatbridge, Barrhead etc etc etc.

Apart from a few of the major English city schemes in London etc and maybe a wee bit of Coventry, like the Bell Green or Woodend estates I'd still say the west coast of Scotland is a riot to live in, literally

Did I mention Greenock?
Old 13 August 2004, 04:34 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I don't think there is much doubt that standards have slipped, the real questions are why and what, if anything, can we do to reverse the situation?

Of course we don't need to debate this as SN has already given us the answer to both questions - 'It's all Blair's fault' and 'Vote them out' so that's that settled then
Old 13 August 2004, 04:55 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
Of course we don't need to debate this as SN has already given us the answer to both questions - 'It's all Blair's fault' and 'Vote them out' so that's that settled then
I think it is more an issue that Labour are in power and they don't seem to be doing much to improve things. If you are responsible for something and it deterioriates either through your actions or lack of them, maybe it is time to let somebody else have a go.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:12 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I think it is more an issue that Labour are in power and they don't seem to be doing much to improve things. If you are responsible for something and it deterioriates either through your actions or lack of them, maybe it is time to let somebody else have a go.
OllyK,

Up to a point I agree with you, trouble is who? Earlier this week I spent some time on the Conservative party site as this is the party recommended by many of the SN NSR crowd who are so vocal on these threads.

I was unable to find any information on their proposed policies on law and order other than one consulation paper on youth crime which was so wishy washy it didn't really give me any idea of what their policy proposal actually was. Maybe I missed it, but if not how can I be expected to vote for a party whose policies I cannot even read to find out whether I agree with them or not.

tiggers.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OllyK,

Up to a point I agree with you, trouble is who? Earlier this week I spent some time on the Conservative party site as this is the party recommended by many of the SN NSR crowd who are so vocal on these threads.

I was unable to find any information on their proposed policies on law and order other than one consulation paper on youth crime which was so wishy washy it didn't really give me any idea of what their policy proposal actually was. Maybe I missed it, but if not how can I be expected to vote for a party whose policies I cannot even read to find out whether I agree with them or not.

tiggers.
Note that I put "let somebody else have a go". I wasn't putting forward any suggestions as to who may do a better job

Getting rid of Blair and letting somebody else in Labour have a go wouldn't be a bad start, as long as it isn't the usual suspects such as Prescott, Livingstone or Blunkett.
Old 13 August 2004, 05:25 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Note that I put "let somebody else have a go". I wasn't putting forward any suggestions as to who may do a better job

Getting rid of Blair and letting somebody else in Labour have a go wouldn't be a bad start, as long as it isn't the usual suspects such as Prescott, Livingstone or Blunkett.
Note too that I didn't accuse *you* of suggesting the Tories Agree with you entirely on Prescott, Livingstone and Blunkett though.
Old 14 August 2004, 09:33 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

BTT
Old 14 August 2004, 11:47 AM
Zeolite
Scooby Regular

Just back from working in the US. It is the most corrupt place I have ever been. Money rules completely and unashamedly. The parts I was in North Dakota and Montana are safe and the people are friendly but the people who run the place are self-serving to a degree that would make Margaret Thatchers cabinet blush.
Old 14 August 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Zeolite
Just back from working in the US. It is the most corrupt place I have ever been. Money rules completely and unashamedly. The parts I was in North Dakota and Montana are safe and the people are friendly but the people who run the place are self-serving to a degree that would make Margaret Thatchers cabinet blush.

I won't disagree with that. On the whole, the US is a dump. Have's and have nots......like a developing country!!

After being in the US....then going to Canada the difference is amazing. I was in Toronto, the single most coolest place in the world (that I have so far been to). I've been to prettier/quiter/louder/cleaner etc but overall it is superb. I would certainly consider living there.

Better than this **** hole of a country anyway.
Old 14 August 2004, 11:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What you say is right Senior AP. Standards have changed enormously in recent years. Many people now generally think only for themselves, and seem almost unaware that there is anyone else around even. They rush into doing something without a thought for how what they are up to may affect anyone else.

In past years people always had consideration for others before themselves even, and the plus side of that was that it was returned. Instead of the modern super competitive attitude where it seems necessary to have a constant fight to beat everyone else at everything, it is so much more relaxing to ease through life helping others and being helped yourself.

I am lucky to live in the West Country where a lot of that attitude still exists. It is so noticeable how it has disappeared upcountry however, especially when the holiday makers appear with their particularly rude and overbearing ways, and their highly unpleasant behaviour.

By the same token, you should never underestimate a person from the West Country. They may talk slow, but they think fast!

Les
Old 14 August 2004, 12:02 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
What you say is right Senior AP. Standards have changed enormously in recent years. Many people now generally think only for themselves, and seem almost unaware that there is anyone else around even. They rush into doing something without a thought for how what they are up to may affect anyone else.

In past years people always had consideration for others before themselves even, and the plus side of that was that it was returned. Instead of the modern super competitive attitude where it seems necessary to have a constant fight to beat everyone else at everything, it is so much more relaxing to ease through life helping others and being helped yourself.

I am lucky to live in the West Country where a lot of that attitude still exists. It is so noticeable how it has disappeared upcountry however, especially when the holiday makers appear with their particularly rude and overbearing ways, and their highly unpleasant behaviour.

By the same token, you should never underestimate a person from the West Country. They may talk slow, but they think fast!

Les

Talking slow allows one to think fast....

The general attitude in England is an attitude of confrontation, back-stabbing (usually via two faced people and gossiping) and being a general ****. I'm at the point where I barely trust anyone as I worry they'll gossip about me behind my back - had first hand experience of that one believe me. Occasionally I find myself doing it and I have to smack myself around my head and say "no, rise above it". Just seems the arseholes seem to do better which infuriates me. People are like this and they often don't even realise it.

When I go to France (and I'm sure other cultured countries) people seem to have a general attitude of friendliness.

I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses when abroad but put it this way....many English leave to live abroad ; the only people that come to live here are immigrants. That says it all I think.
Old 15 August 2004, 10:39 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

I'm not wearing rose tinted glasses when abroad but put it this way....many English leave to live abroad ; the only people that come to live here are immigrants. That says it all I think.
Err ... by definition if they come to live here they're immigrants or do *you* mean something different by immigrants.

Or do you mean no one who emigrates from the UK ever comes back which is untrue anyway?
Old 16 August 2004, 12:43 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by senior_ap
When I go to France (and I'm sure other cultured countries)
cultured?? when i stayed in Nice a few years ago it was like a ghetto,graffiti everywhere,french chavs loitering and generally being french
We were in a 5 star hotel as well,some poor bloke had to leave his brand new 360 modena parked outside,it was right in the middle of the roughest city i've ever had the misfortune to visit.
Short helicopter trip to monaco for the grand prix tho and it was a different story
Old 16 August 2004, 08:11 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Err ... by definition if they come to live here they're immigrants or do *you* mean something different by immigrants.

Or do you mean no one who emigrates from the UK ever comes back which is untrue anyway?

Refugees I mean. Apologies.

Quick Reply: A slip of standards.....