Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Driving to Germany Help advice

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2004, 01:54 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving to Germany Help advice

Hello everyone, looking at the possibility of driving to germany Dusseldorf rather than flying out for a week.

Anyone got any ideas how long it would take from Maidstone.

Best way to go, route wise and also ferry or chunnel etc...

Any advice much appreciated, looking at going not next week but the week after...

Thanks

Ben
Old 09 August 2004, 01:57 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

try www.theaa.com

They have a european route planner
Old 09 August 2004, 01:59 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

correction http://rp.rac.co.uk/routeplanner
Old 09 August 2004, 02:14 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

I've driven to Venlo (in Holland, but not far from Dusseldorf) a few times. Each time it's taken 3 hours 15 mins from getting off the train at the far end of the tunnel. Dusseldorf is about 45 minutes further on, so 4 hours should do it.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:22 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by P1_BEN
Hello everyone, looking at the possibility of driving to germany Dusseldorf rather than flying out for a week.

Anyone got any ideas how long it would take from Maidstone.

Best way to go, route wise and also ferry or chunnel etc...

Any advice much appreciated, looking at going not next week but the week after...

Thanks

Ben
Are you coming out to visit or are you moving out here?

Steve
Old 09 August 2004, 02:26 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I'm driving to Germany in September (via ferry to Belgium) and will spend around 9 days there driving to various places.

What are the do's and don'ts of driving around Germany?
Are there many scoobs out there?
What fuel is available and how does the price compare to UK prices?
Do I have to put one of those wretched GB stickers on the car?
Plus anything else you think may be helpful!

Thanks in anticipation.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:31 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

Aha! me and mate are drivin to the rally in two weeks so i no this:

To go through begium you need a warning triangle, a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit and for germany you need a warning triangle and a bulb replacement kit for you car...
Old 09 August 2004, 02:34 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Hi Wurzel, I've been coming out to germany for the last 9 months, however it's my last week, week after next so thought it might be a good idea to take the WR1 out rather than fly, be easier to bring my stuff back then as well, plus i can see how the germans in dusseldorf take a japanese car rather than the everday german cars you get so use to seeing... Think i've seen one my98 sport since i've been here..!!! and thats it..!!

So can anyone reccomend the best way to get across the channel... ferry or chunnel?
Old 09 August 2004, 02:35 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Hey tucker, when you going...??? maybe i could follow you... do you go anywhere near dusseldorf??? where you catching the ferry from?
Old 09 August 2004, 02:36 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Ben,
I drove from Tunbridge Wells to Munster, and including jumping on the Chunnel, think it took about 5 hours or so (was a fair few years ago). Did have fun speed testing the ol wagon on the autobahn

Best route? you should be able to use the AA site to map it, as for across the watery bit, I'd go Chunnel, simply as it's a nice easy route from Maidstone (I went from Lamberhurst, through Paddock Wood, then down through east/west malling, then onto ashford, dead easy)

Oh, and if you have ANY kind of speed camera dectection, even if it's a GPS one, take it off. It's illegal in france and if you're pulled they will take it from you and probably fine you as well.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:38 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tucker101uk
Aha! me and mate are drivin to the rally in two weeks so i no this:

To go through begium you need a warning triangle, a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit and for germany you need a warning triangle and a bulb replacement kit for you car...
Fab! I have a small fire extinguisher in the kitchen I could use, and a triangle (but it's the musical 'ping' kind!), will get a first aid kit from Boots.

What's the bulb replacement kit?
Old 09 August 2004, 02:42 PM
deeday
Scooby Regular

Worked for Rolls-Royce Frankfurt for 6 months last year, took the Scoob out via Harwich to the hook on Super-cat ferry thing. Not a bad drive down once you get off of the ring road on the other side! (Tricky!). You won't see many Scoobs out there but there are a few clubs. Check ur insurance, you should get 30 days continental cover free. GB sticker is a courtesy thing now. Take a triangle you need one. If your gonna park anywhere you need a little blue parking clock thing, cost 1 Euro from any garage over there. . Enjoy the Autobahn!
Old 09 August 2004, 02:51 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Thanks deeday! MMmmmm . . . Autobahn! My insurance does cover me free for 30 days, which makes me feel like I'm actually getting some value for money from the massive premium. So I should definitely wave at another Scooby if I see one out there?!

What's it like driving on the wrong side of the road? Is it easy to get used to?

Last edited by minor_threat; 09 August 2004 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Tipp-ex damages my screen
Old 09 August 2004, 02:55 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

The driving on the wrong side of the road thing is really easy on motorways. It needs a bit more thought around town, particularly on side roads with no other traffic. It's very easy to turn left off a main road and drive down the left side of the road.

As for ferry or chunnel, I prefer the chunnel but it wasn't me paying the fare. See what a ticket costs and make the decision. It's certainly convenient to turn up at Folkestone and drive off in France 35 minutes later.
Old 09 August 2004, 02:57 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by P1_BEN
Hi Wurzel, I've been coming out to germany for the last 9 months, however it's my last week, week after next so thought it might be a good idea to take the WR1 out rather than fly, be easier to bring my stuff back then as well, plus i can see how the germans in dusseldorf take a japanese car rather than the everday german cars you get so use to seeing... Think i've seen one my98 sport since i've been here..!!! and thats it..!!

So can anyone reccomend the best way to get across the channel... ferry or chunnel?
TBH with you I have tried the Ferry, Seacat and chunnel, and the ferry is the cheapest, but if the cost is not an option I would personally choose the Seacat over the chunnel.

Then I would get of at Calais and head for Dunkirk, then onto Brussels, when you get to the Brussels ring road head out towards Namur on the E411, stay on the E411 all the way to Luxembourg then stay on this road all the way through Luxembourg until you pop out the otherside in Germany.

In Luxembourg there are 2 petrol stations on this road one at each end of the country, the petrol here is much cheaper than in germany.

In Germany you can use ARAL 100 Utimate or Shell V-Power 100 ron.

alternatively you could plan your own route with this website.

http://rs.ptv.de/emr/routing.asp?UC=YES&ID=MGG&LNG=GB

it is pretty good I used it all teh time until I got my Sat Nav.

Good luck

Steve

Last edited by Wurzel; 09 August 2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09 August 2004, 03:07 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys....
Old 09 August 2004, 03:13 PM
tucker101uk
Scooby Regular

hiw P1, we are going on the 8 o'clock AM crossing on the chunnel from folkstone. Going to Dover, and then up through france and belgium into Germany, not sure where dusseldorf is... we are heading for Trier if you wanna look that up on your map...