Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nikon D70 - v - Canon EOS 10D

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2004, 02:07 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nikon D70 - v - Canon EOS 10D

Decided to go digital at last, and currently have an EOS 30, 28 - 105 and 100 - 300mm canon lenses, so the 10D is the likely option.

Heard a lot of good things about the 10D (hence my suggestion to Pete Lewis on the other thread that it might be worth thinking about)

However - I am keeping the EOS 30 anyway as I want a film camera as well (and the wife has already got her eye on it ) and leaving aside the obvious cost issues of having to duplicate (basically) the lenses (which may not be such an issue as she will be using them anyway) has anyone experience of each in terms of pros and cons, and would I be better placed in going for the 10D body, and spending the difference on additional canon lens(es) to enhance the kit given that the 28-105 and 100-300 cover 99% of my requirements?

Cheers in advance

D
Old 05 August 2004, 02:12 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Hmm....

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
Old 05 August 2004, 02:25 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but if you plan on using the lenses you already have, then you might as well get a 300d, as the lenses will be the limiting factor, not the body.

If you plan to buy some better lenses, such as the L series, then I would still recommend the 300d Better bodies than either the 10d or 300d will be released in the short term and you will probably want to upgrade anyway.

Don't let anybody tell you that the 300d is no good, it is capable of taking pictures every bit as good as the 10d and D70, with the advantage that you can spend the money saved on better lenses.

ps I will admit that the 300d looks a little tacky
Old 05 August 2004, 02:40 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Both the D70 and the 10D are very good cameras and you will always get people from both camps arguing for one over the other.

I would get yourself down to your local camera store and ask to see both cameras. Pick them up and test them in your hand - the way a camera 'feels' is very important and it can be a very significant factor in your ability to take good photographs.

Read the reviews and read the fourms, but at the end of the day any preference between the two is going to be fairly subjective.

Just my 2 cents worth.

tiggers.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:44 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Daryl,

No flames mate, but the 300d is really a step down from the 30 (although I appreciate the difficulties in comparing digial with film) - I'm looking to step up.

I stuck the 100-300 lens on a 300d body last week, and thought the 300 was going to crack

All subjective I know - but not for me.
Old 05 August 2004, 02:46 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Tiggers, cheers mate - I agree 100%.

Sorry, should have said I handled both, and TBH both the Nikon and the Canon felt good to use - hence my question.

Should have made that clear in my post
Old 05 August 2004, 02:59 PM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Diablo
All subjective I know - but not for me.
Fair enough, but for me £450 extra for the 10d wasn't worth it, given that I will probably change the camera in a year or two. If I was intending to keep the camera for a long time, then it would definitely have been the 10d

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2004, 03:09 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

As you already have an investment in Canon glass, I would go for the 10D, unless you have money to burn, that is.

The 10D is a superb piece of kit by all accounts, and I cannot imagine that it's replacement is going to be a huge step forward, nor much cheaper. Canon will certainly not want to reduce as it will put pressure on the 300D.

Aside from a few tweaks here and there, possibly a full size sensor and 8mp?

Geezer
Old 05 August 2004, 03:36 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The Canon would cost you more if you didn't have the investment in glass you've already got... Although the glass you've got isn't particularly expensive.

It would be sensible to go for the Canon, but bear in mind you'll be wanting an ultra-wide to get your 28 equivalent, which ain't cheap. You won't be getting the absolute best out of the camera with your existing lenses, but it would be a start. perhaps add the 17-40L lens, which is generally regarded as the canine's privates?

I've got the D70, and rate it highly, but I'd convinced myself that I really wanted the 10D before I added up the cost of what I'd like to buy. So I went for the D70, and haven't regretted it. It's a fantastic camera.

I tried the 300D against the D70, and to be honest didn't like the 300D's feel or handling compared to the D70. IMage quality was nothing to worry about on either camera, so there's no worries with the 10D vs D70 either. Sometimes I marginally prefer canon, other times I marginally prefer Nikon.

By the way, the rumours are that the 10D will be replaced at Photokina in September, so whilst you can hold on forever, I would be holding on until you know what's happening with the 10D.

Have you seen the hype about the Fuji S3 pro? If I was in the market and had nikon lenses, and the money, then that would be damned interesting!
Old 05 August 2004, 03:41 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Originally Posted by chiark
It would be sensible to go for the Canon, but bear in mind you'll be wanting an ultra-wide to get your 28 equivalent, which ain't cheap.
Sigma are now doing lenses specifically for DSLR, so the focal lengths are 'proper'. Cheap too. Tamron have some quirky electronices that make their new lenses correct for film or digital.

Geezer
Old 05 August 2004, 04:34 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chiark
The Canon would cost you more if you didn't have the investment in glass you've already got... Although the glass you've got isn't particularly expensive.

It would be sensible to go for the Canon, but bear in mind you'll be wanting an ultra-wide to get your 28 equivalent, which ain't cheap. You won't be getting the absolute best out of the camera with your existing lenses, but it would be a start. perhaps add the 17-40L lens, which is generally regarded as the canine's privates?

I've got the D70, and rate it highly, but I'd convinced myself that I really wanted the 10D before I added up the cost of what I'd like to buy. So I went for the D70, and haven't regretted it. It's a fantastic camera.

I tried the 300D against the D70, and to be honest didn't like the 300D's feel or handling compared to the D70. IMage quality was nothing to worry about on either camera, so there's no worries with the 10D vs D70 either. Sometimes I marginally prefer canon, other times I marginally prefer Nikon.

By the way, the rumours are that the 10D will be replaced at Photokina in September, so whilst you can hold on forever, I would be holding on until you know what's happening with the 10D.

Have you seen the hype about the Fuji S3 pro? If I was in the market and had nikon lenses, and the money, then that would be damned interesting!

Oi, you calling me cheap..LOL...

10d being replaced in September - interesting - no real timescales so will wait and see what happens.

Its not been around that long though, has it?

Ultra wide isn't that much of an issue though - I find that my subject matter very rarely requires it.
Old 05 August 2004, 05:16 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Diablo,

Whilst 28 is fine on film, when it comes to digital there is the 1.6 crop factor. Your 28-105mm lens then becomes a 44.8 - 168mm lens. 44mm is quite restrictive. Put the 28-105 lens on your 30 and then zoom to 44mm. I'd go for the 300d and purchase the 17-40 (£569) as chiark suggested or possibly the 20-35mm but I've never heard anything about this lens.

Darren

Last edited by darlodge; 05 August 2004 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05 August 2004, 05:20 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

Also have a look here for an identical question

Darren
Old 05 August 2004, 05:27 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

The D60 was around for less than a year IIRC before it was replaced with the 10D. The 10D is still a fantastic camera, but people are expecting Canon to move the game on at PhotoKina.

If you're using the 28 end of your lens at the moment, you'll need to look at a 15mm lens to get the same effect, as the 10D has a 1.6x "crop factor"/angle of view change. 44mm is decidedly unwieldly if you're used to 28mm.

The sigma lenses mentioned above are fairly good, but the focal lengths on them are real focal lengths, ie a 15-50 is equivalent to the FOV offered by a 26-80 on a 35mm... No lenses are marked with "35mm equivalent" lengths (and never should be!)

The S3 Pro could literally be revolutionary: it has two sizes of photosites, one small (for capturing highlights - less photons needed) and one large (for shadow details - more photons needed to capture detail), and you will be able to alter the mix of Small/large sites used for a picture.

Or it might not live up to the hype

If you're not in a rush, then I'd wait 6 weeks for Photokina and the S3 reviews to come through.
Old 05 August 2004, 05:42 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a plan, cheers mate. No rush.

BTW the 28 -105 is the USM II rear focus. Cracking lens
Old 05 August 2004, 05:44 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

For the money
Old 05 August 2004, 05:48 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I've got the 28-135 and it rocks...well sort of, the IS won't let it rock

Darren