Warning to buyers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 July 2004, 02:08 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning to buyers!!!

Hi Guy's,this is not a joke or a hoax,

I've just been shafted for 5.5k on an EVO1 by a lad in Inverness who took my hard earned and bought a Sti RA.

I drove the car for an hour and the head gaskett went due to a leaking water pump that he was supposed to have changed.it took me 12hrs to get back to Northampton with the RAC and the car is now at Steve Hill M-Sport where they have stripped the engin to find water pump gone,head gaskett blown,oil pump seized,crank needs regrounding,bores badly burned and scored,rings gone,bareings gone,rods gone shells gone and clutch probably 1k left onit!!

This Guy was supposed to be an enthusiast and a member of MLR but he shafted me and is now in hiding,not answering any calls,hiding on the forum and not answering any pm's!

The bill for the complete engin rebuild has been estimated at 5k and as i paid 5.5k for the car and only got an houres drive out of it,it will not be worth keeping.

So the car will be sold as it is at a huge loss,and the thing which kills me the most is that he knew that this engin was shagged(he even put some sort of rad weld in the coolant to stop the waterpump from leaking)!!

Mike.

Last edited by Redkop; 25 July 2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 24 July 2004, 02:21 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Did he misrepresent the condition of the vehicle? Did you ask him any specific questions about it's condition which you have reasonable grounds to think he lied about? If it went wrong because of a problem he lied about having fixed then IMHO the car was not of merchantable quality when he sold it to you.

Private individuals are not exempt from the law if they misrepresent what they are selling. You may have legal options open to you, so I would not "take it on the chin" just yet.

Find out from your insurer whether you have any legal protection which might cover you in this instance. Sometime legal cover only applies in cases where you have an accident. Other insurers also cover you in consumer matters such as buying the car. Talk to your insurers ASAP and find out. Even if you don't have cover via your insurance policy, given the cost of repairs it's worth paying a solicitor for a consultation to see exactly where you standa legally. Citizen's Advice Bureau is another option.

Good luck.
Old 24 July 2004, 02:24 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

name and shame mate.
lots of people on here also frequent the MLR..

nice of you to pre-empt this guy selling the RA on after he's thrashed it to death and tries to sell it as 'mint'
Old 24 July 2004, 02:24 PM
P 1 TUD
Scooby Regular

what a pr*ck!! sorry to hear that mike, how could someone do that knowing their car was a banger i for one couldnt live with my conscience (sp) ? thats the last type of person we want on here now! hope you decide to keep your car and return it to be a cracking car that it once was!

steven.
Old 24 July 2004, 02:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate ! Its very kind of you to come into this forum and report a kn@b.
Not all but,there are a few dishonest sellers about.Thats why, I rather pay more but buy a car from a decent garage than buy it privately.
Old 24 July 2004, 02:35 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id suggest speaking to someone who imports engines; I cant see how you can justify spending £5k on an engine when the whole cars sell for £1k in Japan. £1,000 buys a nice grade 4 car too. Ive had a lovely Grade IV 1992 car for £800, so an engine should cost less than half of what youre looking at.

I think that API engines used to import half cuts or engines; perhaps theyd be worth a call?

Simon
Old 24 July 2004, 02:51 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

Cheers for your support guy's but I've had the week off which was supposed to be getting the alarm and tracker,and security film done on the car.possibly spend some quality time with the family,but due to all this i spent sleepless nights thinking about how i could rectify this situation.

I've tried two seperate solicitors and they both gave me the same answer,(BUYER BEWARE!!)the fact that it is a private sale leaves me without a leg to stand on,even though for some reason we both forgot about a receipt,so there is nothing with SOLD AS SEEN!! written down,the guy even previously posted two months ago that the waterpump is leaking and he is going to change it so i've printed this off as evidence.

Both solicitors said that the case would not be strong enough to ensure a win due to the amount of money involved in the purchase against all the legal fees and the fact that i have,in the eyes of the law satisfied myself and .accepted the car in the state i bought it in when i exchanged cash for keys. The fact that we are both MLR members dosen't help at all as this proves that i had faith in the purchase being good.

My insurance doesn't cover for this either!!

Mike.
Old 24 July 2004, 03:15 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

GC8,

A grade iv for 1000ukp that sounds like my price range at the moment unfortunately,do you have any more details on this????

Mike.
Old 24 July 2004, 03:27 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the point in posting this unless you give a name?
Old 24 July 2004, 03:32 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Don't know enough about the legalities of this situation but in my eyes the guy's out of order.

So he's posted on MLR with known problems (water pump?) which are serious. Then, with this knowledge, he sells the car as being in good condition.

Sounds to me like he's set out to rip someone off. That's not nice. And if you ask me, this is a situation which I'd be very reluctant to accept. I, like most, work hard for my money. If someone thinks it would be funny to rip me off, then all I can say is that they must be very, very naive.

I'm not surprised he's avoiding you. He should. He really should. And for a long time, too.
Old 24 July 2004, 03:37 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

If it was me in that situation I have a feeling my car would unfortunately go missing and get found as a burned out shell......
Old 24 July 2004, 03:48 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick
What's the point in posting this unless you give a name?
His name on the MLR is Patevo1 but i'm sure that he's not going to come on here with the same info,that's why i gave you all the details of the car he has now and his location,just wouldn't want anyone else falling prey to this dishonest individual!!

Mike.
Old 24 July 2004, 03:51 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SlowBoy
Don't know enough about the legalities of this situation but in my eyes the guy's out of order.

So he's posted on MLR with known problems (water pump?) which are serious. Then, with this knowledge, he sells the car as being in good condition.

Sounds to me like he's set out to rip someone off. That's not nice. And if you ask me, this is a situation which I'd be very reluctant to accept. I, like most, work hard for my money. If someone thinks it would be funny to rip me off, then all I can say is that they must be very, very naive.

I'm not surprised he's avoiding you. He should. He really should. And for a long time, too.
You know that Richie,You know that!!

Mike.
Old 24 July 2004, 04:06 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Richard A,are you refering to the RA or the Evo?

IMO,the RA should go missing and turn up with nothing wrong except petrol in the engine (perhaps it shouldnt even go missing).

Sympathise with you boaaz.Perhaps you could post up the reg of the RA.

Last edited by dij; 24 July 2004 at 04:08 PM. Reason: damn,these move fast
Old 24 July 2004, 04:26 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

No!!! I meant if it were my 5.5k car needing 5k spent to fix it then it may get sadly stolen and torched..

..as for how Boaaz deals with the guy who sold him it I'll leave that up to him
Old 24 July 2004, 05:21 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

Well what would be more unfortunate than the Evo getting stolen,taken to a spot where there happens to be an RA parked and then the silly thing just catches fire for no reason,burning both cars.
Old 24 July 2004, 06:12 PM
mo,s scoobymonster
Scooby Regular

mate you know where he lives you bought the car from there go round and have a QUIET CHAT with him. but if you don't want that get a damaged evo1 impoeted mate you'l be ok with thast better than spending 5k
Old 24 July 2004, 06:32 PM
S.B.
Scooby Regular

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...threadid=50376
Old 24 July 2004, 06:44 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

oh dear.. i sense the SN vigilante squad suiting up as we speak.. or maybe we should just set the 'muppets' onto him and spam him to death?
Old 24 July 2004, 07:37 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Boaz,

"Buyer Beware" is a well known caveat with regard to private sales of this sort. Why didn't you invest £200 to get the AA/RAC to examine the car prior to you buying?

Not so long ago we had a woman buyer who felt sufficiently strongly about this kind of thing to invest in an RAC check before buying my wife's ex Ford Ka with mega low mileage and absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would have thought the alarm bells would be ringing for a performance car.

I'm not kicking you, by the way; I'm just surprised you did not do more to protect yourself in the first place.
Old 24 July 2004, 08:13 PM
Gee WR1
Scooby Regular

Boazz, Please if ur gonna just say it's a sti-ra in Inverness thats doing more bad than good. There are a few RA's in the area, i know as i live in area & it would be unfair on the innocent ones 2 get flak 4 something they didn't do! Please give some proper details 2 protect these owners! Either name him or give car colour /year! Im sure u wouldn't like 2 be on the recieving end of abuse cause ur car matched a very rough description.

Gee

P.S this is not a rant
Old 24 July 2004, 08:43 PM
Carl2
Scooby Regular

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...5&pagenumber=1
Old 24 July 2004, 08:50 PM
Big Den
Scooby Regular

Boaaz

I hear what you are saying the solicitors are telling you but maybe they just don't want this type of case. Have you tried speaking to your local Trading Standards &/or the Citizens Advice? I pretty sure you do have some rights even as a private buyer.

If you can't trust fellow BBS members who the **** can you trust :O

Big Den
Old 24 July 2004, 09:15 PM
zhastaph
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, I've just read the above thread on MLR . In case you see this post first, if you wanna email me your pics I'll host them for ya.
Old 24 July 2004, 09:28 PM
taffyboyo
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by wacky.banana
Boaz,

"Buyer Beware" is a well known caveat with regard to private sales of this sort. Why didn't you invest £200 to get the AA/RAC to examine the car prior to you buying?

Not so long ago we had a woman buyer who felt sufficiently strongly about this kind of thing to invest in an RAC check before buying my wife's ex Ford Ka with mega low mileage and absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would have thought the alarm bells would be ringing for a performance car.

I'm not kicking you, by the way; I'm just surprised you did not do more to protect yourself in the first place.
the guy is just warning us about what can go wrong and of a certain person who now drives a subaru,
buyer beware is all well and good but this guy has been well and truely seen off and it could of happened to lots of people (me included)
Boaz, keep your chin up mate
taffy
Old 24 July 2004, 09:50 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

Guy's this was to help you not to get stung like me and yes i should have got the RAC/AA to check it over but i was calling the guy every day,we got on fine i even still kept my options open and looked at cars from traders which Patrick disuaded me from,saying that his car was a good car with a low mlg stronger engin.
He told me that he would never let me come all the way from Northampton to buy a car that was not any good and i had no reason not to believe him.

Yeah i guess i was nieve but he has taken the P**s and that's not on!! but for all you guy's that live in Inverness with sti ra's,i'm sure that you are just vext as me,this guy has not done you any favors and if your ina bad position now then i'm sorry,What would you have done???

Mike.
Old 24 July 2004, 10:00 PM
THE DEVIANT
Scooby Regular

Go round his house with your mates and balaclavas and kick his head in. Make you feel better at least.

<flame suit on>
Old 24 July 2004, 10:01 PM
boaaz
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean dude,but i'de rather have it sorted properly!!

Mike.
Old 24 July 2004, 10:03 PM
THE DEVIANT
Scooby Regular

I didn't say end it like that, that's only for starters mate!

Last edited by THE DEVIANT; 24 July 2004 at 10:19 PM. Reason: cos i'm a bit thick
Old 24 July 2004, 10:15 PM
Jools
Scooby Regular

Bad deal: Was this fellow local to Inverness?

Bloody well hope not, not what you would expect from a Highlander... not taking calls and all that crap. That makes the whole thing stink.

Quick Reply: Warning to buyers!!!