Advice on website content

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2004, 03:09 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on website content

Hi all,

I've been updating my Tae Kwon Do school's website recently, and I'm re-vamping the format and content.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions or ideas as to what you think should be included/removed from the site.

As a martial artist myself, I am aware of what fellow martial artists would like to see in the site, but I am more concerned with the opinions of those with little or no experience in the martial arts.

What would you, as a "novice" like to see/read about in a Tae Kwon Do website?

All opinions are welcome and invited, but especially those of non martial artists, so that I can get a feel of what the general public want in the site.

Ideally, it should serve as a tool for recruiting new members, so give me your thoughts....

Thanks

Website
Old 22 July 2004, 03:33 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I practiced TKD for a number of years when I was a student - I preferred to spar and use it as a method of keeping fit (and I feel it was an EXCELLENT way of doing so)

I was taught under a few different teachers - the main one being Ray Smeathers (IVth Degree) who was VERY strong on patterns (national champion I seem to remember)

In the end I was 'put off' because of Rays' teaching methods - he was very rigid and did not allow alternate forms to even be demostrated (I sparred against people practicing a variety of martial arts and picked up some AMAZING defence methods )

So, given all that - what I would like to see is some emphasis on the 'keep fit' side of TKD, the way in which it promotes self-confidence (it does), interaction, it can be fun, although the flexibility bits were less than amusing

Oh, people like to know how progression is made.. you have explained about grading (nerve-wracking!) but an explanation of the belts would be nice...

I learned under the TAGB and the grades were, white, yellow tag, yellow, green tag, green, blue tag, blue, red tag, red, black tag, Black.

Just a quick couple of lines - because the path to a black belt can be daunting

Hope this helps.
Old 22 July 2004, 03:52 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Cheers Kieran, your points have been noted.

Any more?
Old 22 July 2004, 04:39 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

So, does the silence after 58 views tell me that the website it the finished article then?

Or are you just all shy?
Old 22 July 2004, 07:53 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Be consistent on each page how you write Tae Kwon-Do, Tae KwonDo, Tae Kwon Do etc etc...

About the School needs some proofreading

More emphasis on the women, it's a bit macho at present, you won't get any joining from reading that. How about a sub-section entitled "What if I'm a girl?"

Possible average evening's training session? 20 mins warm up and basics, 15 mins sparring, 15 mins 1-step, 20 min patterns, 20 min destruction, 20 min self-defence, 10 min warmdown... Maybe 2-3 different types depending on if you are practising for tournament, grading etc. Or just a list of the different things that you train, as above but without the minutes.

Set Patterns to open in new window.

Some thumbnails in the patterns, perhaps to illustrate difficult stances? No new beginner wants to see just text. Movie clips?? Bit heavy on memory though.

Your monthly newsletter shows May - erm...

Student profiles - do you only have 8 students?

That enough for now?

Brendan (ex 2nd Dan, but WTF! )

Last edited by Brendan Hughes; 22 July 2004 at 08:01 PM.
Old 22 July 2004, 08:26 PM
talizman
Scooby Regular

Be consistent on each page how you write Tae Kwon-Do, Tae KwonDo, Tae Kwon Do etc etc...
I'll address this now. The content is derived from various sources, so anomalies in the spacing/hython etc will occur.

About the School needs some proofreading
Not sure what you mean.... This paragraph was written by one of the students, and dropped straight in.

More emphasis on the women, it's a bit macho at present, you won't get any joining from reading that. How about a sub-section entitled "What if I'm a girl?"
A good idea

Possible average evening's training session? 20 mins warm up and basics, 15 mins sparring, 15 mins 1-step, 20 min patterns, 20 min destruction, 20 min self-defence, 10 min warmdown... Maybe 2-3 different types depending on if you are practising for tournament, grading etc. Or just a list of the different things that you train, as above but without the minutes.
Fair point, this may be included, but in less detail

Set Patterns to open in new window.
Again, fair point

Some thumbnails in the patterns, perhaps to illustrate difficult stances? No new beginner wants to see just text. Movie clips?? Bit heavy on memory though.
The patterns section is really a reference for those that already know the pattern as opposed to be a tool for students to learn the pattern. No amount of web pages can replace a good instructor!

Your monthly newsletter shows May - erm...
As I said, I have just started updating it in the last few days, it hadn't been updated in quite a while

Student profiles - do you only have 8 students?
I just stuck a selection of faces on the page. We have around 30 registered students, who train on a fairly regular basis. Plus, some folk were too shy to appear on the WWW!

That enough for now?
More than enough! lol

Brendan (ex 2nd Dan, but WTF! )
Nobodys perfect!