Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What to do about a neighbour from hell?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2004, 10:51 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts
Default What to do about a neighbour from hell?

Bit of a long one.

3 years ago we moved into what used to M. O. D. houses that had been refurbished by Annington homes. At the time we were assured that none of the houses had been bought to be used for DSS people to live in them.

However, one chap bought 3 houses and rents them to the council for DSS people. The gardens of these houses back on to ours with a pathway between them. We've never had any serious problems with any of them - dogs barking, growing weed in the garden, arguments at 2am I can live with to an extent.

The problem we now have is that a woman in her early thirties is in one of the properties and has become a neighbour from hell. We've had this woman on our doorstep screaming at us at 4am before now and I didn't realise but that incident has really spooked my GF to point where she is scared to put washing out in the garden or let our daughter in the garden.

On Saturday afternoon my GF was in the garden when this woman starting hurling more abuse at my GF. I wasn't there at the time but when I came back my GF was in tears and quite frightenend so I called the police who warned her to stay away under the harrasment act. If she does it again she gets arrested basically.

The landlord of this property has served an 8 week eviction notice on the woman but she is trying to fight it - how I don't know via legal aid? He's fed up and just wants her out as she hasn't paid any rent.

What I need to know is who do I write to to complain about this woman and the fact that I've actually spoken to the police twice becuase of her and my GF feels a prisoner in her own home. Do I write to the landlord or the council? I don't know who has final say over this as the council are involved.

I am so pi$$ed off that we've got this scumbag in our backyard and I just want shot of her and so my GF can get on with her life.
Old 19 July 2004, 10:59 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speak to your local councillor and inform him/her of the situation, keep complaining to the Landlord of the property and ring the police about every incident no matter how small as you need everything recorded.

CCTV evidence is like gold dust in these cases and isn't that expensive.

You need to keep a log of everything that happens.

If your councillor is any good they will assist you in getting rid of this neighbour.

Cheers
Lee
Old 19 July 2004, 11:02 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

It might be worth your while to read the 1997 Protection From Harassment Act. It is on the web somewhere but my current link is dead. Get Google on the job.

The important thing to note is that this is a criminal and not a civil offence. So, when you report events to the police get a crime number and follow each one up to see what has been done. The police are correct, because of the Act they can arrest her but as I recall there has to be 3 incidents before they can get a conviction. However, the description of harassment is very broad and that is in your favour.

So, report it every time, make it clear that you believe it is harassment, ask for a crime number and follow each one up asking what action has been taken etc.

In the end the only way to get the police to do anything might be to "force" their hand a little. However, it must be said that generally they are very reluctant to use their powers under this Act (they usually reserve it for people stalking big names) so the fact that they brought it up in relation to your situation is likely to be a very positive thing.
Old 19 July 2004, 11:25 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

The police officer said we'd only need 2 cases of harrasment to convict. Shame I didn't know that before as I have had to call the police twice due to this woman but as they didn't turn up by the time she'd gone I rang to say not to bother.

I'm just concerned that she won't go quietly or she will find someway to stay in the house. I can't believe that a solicitor will want to get take on her case as there are about 4 households in her close vicinity that want her out as soon as possible.

One neighbour actually found a bag of human **** by their gates
Old 19 July 2004, 11:26 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hedgehog
The police are correct, because of the Act they can arrest her but as I recall there has to be 3 incidents before they can get a conviction. However, the description of harassment is very broad and that is in your favour.
This is force/area dependant on how they deal with it. They will all take it seriously but some areas will react quicker than others.

Usually it's a verbal warning then a letter to both parties. The letter to the offender will basically tell her to stop and the letter to yourselves will tell you to not encourage her, even though you more than likely haven't.

If it then continues she'll be arrested, after that is anyone's guess.

EddScott-

Let the council and the landlord know as many times as it takes. Oh and it might be an idea to contact the bad gene clinic too and see if she had escaped during tests.
Old 19 July 2004, 11:28 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by EddScott
One neighbour actually found a bag of human **** by their gates
That'll probably be her son after a night out.
Old 19 July 2004, 11:28 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Now the police know what shes like, and she has no doubt cried wolf a few times, you should go round there and scare her, badly. You owe it to her next unfortunate neighbour to try and tame the feral b!tch!
Old 19 July 2004, 12:19 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but my wife's parents had the same problem a few years ago with 2 families that were terrorising the whole street,everyone else that lived there got a petition going,the police were called on a daily basis and the councils response was one of "if we keep them together we know where they are". The in-laws ended up moving themselves and as far as i know the troublemakers are still there doing the same old sh*t day in and day out,obviously you have a slightly different situation with her having a private landlord but i wouldn't hold your breath.

We found the best thing to do was play them at there own game and invite a rugby team round for a party and big intimidation they seemed to quieten down a little after that (as bullying types normally do).
Old 19 July 2004, 12:24 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Next Scoobynet Meet at EddScott's house...
Old 19 July 2004, 12:31 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

I might have missed it but I didnt see too many details about why/what she is doing.

this might have a bearing.

I agree though, have a bit of a party and invite all the biggest people you know round, either that or bury the bitch in a pit of her sons own feaces.
Old 19 July 2004, 12:37 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

remember to invite all your other neighbours that are annoyed with her or inform them that things might get a bit on the noisy side when you have the subaru exhaust sound off comp on your drive
Plus if you slip some ex lax in everyones drinks you can return the poo favour
Old 19 July 2004, 01:23 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

I have warned my GF on several occasions not to get involved with these types of people beucase they'll bite you if your not their kind. What sparked it off was one night my GF was next door to this womans house at a friends. She went to the womans house to say hello and ask to use the bathroom as her friend BF was in the bath.

She found the 3 small girls of this woman and another 3 small girls of this womans equally psycho mate being looked after by two teenage lads and thier GFs. One of the children asked my GF to tuck her in which she did but one of the children had chewing gum so she took it off her.

About 4am this woman is baning on the door pi$$ed up saying my GF tresspassed and shouted at her kids - not true as we hardly shout and ours let alone anyones elses and as for tresspassing well possibly but they'd all been quite friendly up till this point. While shes screaming on our doorstep this psycho is shouting at my GF from the garden. This was when I rang the police but she left before they came.

Saturday was just the these pair of mental cases, one in the garden, one from a bedroom window shouting the usual chav nonsense "I haven't finshed with you F'ing B!tch" Etc.... as you can imagine. This time I asked the police to come round and explained whats been going on.

Can anyone shed light on whether she can get legal help to stop her being evicted by the landlord? I'll be writing a letter to the landlord and about 3 other households will be doing the same hopefully. Like I say I can't beleive a solicitor would want to take on her case as its blatantly obvious she's f**king bonkers!!!
Old 19 July 2004, 01:26 PM
Audi-Boy
BANNED

Do you want to borrow some of my homemade 'fireworks'?
Old 19 July 2004, 06:15 PM
Mark Kwiatkowski
Scooby Regular

Forget homemade fireworks what you need is one of these:

Homemade Type 30 rocket. Perfect for use against neighbours from hell. It's good for around 400-500 mph and climbs to 1500-2000+ ft depending on the engine.

Not bad for something made on the kitchen table
Old 19 July 2004, 06:50 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

Slightly related (sorry to hijack).

My neighbour (semi detached house) whilst not from hell, is going that way. Lots of shouting a nd screaming, doors banging. And in the past 2 weeks the police have been round (on saturday it was 4 coppers two cars and a riot van!!!).

Anyway, I the house is rented but I don't know who owns it or how to contact them, how do go about finding you owns the property???

Cheers
Old 19 July 2004, 06:55 PM
JaneC
Scooby Newbie

Land Registry have an online search facility http://www.landregisteronline.gov.uk...eSearchServlet you should be able to get a copy of the register entry for £2. This will at least tell you who owns the property.

HTH
Old 19 July 2004, 07:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Aren't these just the type of people "Tone" is going to bring to heel with his new 5 year plan?

I fekkin wish.:

Basically, we are going to have to have vigilantes and civil unrest in this country before we can reclaim it back from the chavs:

Alcazar
Old 19 July 2004, 09:04 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Nail a dead animal to her front door with a note attached reading "next time it's you"
Old 19 July 2004, 09:10 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Nail a dead animal to her front door with a note attached reading "next time it's you"
Favorite idea so far mate If I was that way inclined I'd use her cat for the job.

Apparently after my GF spoke to the woman living next door to this "pyscho hose beast" theres been some empty boxes being moved in so looks like shes out - think she doing a runner so the landlord can't follow her for unpaid rent or something.

Theres an area in town called "The courts" and its basically the bronx of this area so I imagine shes going there with her own kind, thank god!
Old 23 July 2004, 10:08 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Saw the other "Neighbour from Hell" thread so thought I'd give an update.

The mad F'ing witch as gone !!!!!

About 8am yesterday she pushed off with the kids before anyone could follow her to ask for the £100s she owes them. All I can say is its a wieght off my mind and we can actually go into our garden without fear of abuse.

She even tried to sell her broken washing machine to one of the removal men apparently. The landlord is taking steps to find out where shes gone to try to get some money out of her - mostly unpaid rent and damages to the property.

I'm also writing to him to suggest that in the future if there is even the slightest hint that one of his tenants is going to cause a problem I will hound him and create as much hassle for him as possible until they are removed.

I bought my house to live in it not put up with his drop out tenants!
Old 23 July 2004, 11:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick - move in and squat!!!!
Old 23 July 2004, 11:52 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Quick - move in and squat!!!!
By all acounts she already had done. Squat that is!

Into a Tesco bag and put it on her immediate neighbours doorstep.

Hence the joy we now feel that she has gone to make other poor peoples lives a misery.