Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The British Public

Search this Thread

Old 17 July 2004, 08:51 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The British Public

Cant understand them, nipped to B and Q for some bits for the garden, ten minute trip, couldnt park it was so busy, got frustrated and came home, got on Mountain Bike and went through the Bollin Valley National park and saw three people in about seven miles all walking dogs in sight of their cars, it amazes me that we have this whole country yet at the weekend cram ourseleves into sh1tty retail parks wandering round f*ckin TK Maxx buying sh1te we dont really need or want because we have no imagination, next time I will go to B and Q on my Mountain Bike, I will obviously take a huuuge lock as some ****** will nick it if I get off it and leave it for thirty seconds and then stick it in the shed for all eternity.
Old 17 July 2004, 08:55 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, but had there been spaces in the B&Q car park you would have been one of the people cramming themselves into sh1tty retail parks
Old 17 July 2004, 09:09 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yeah but only by neccesity, I only visit a retail park if I really cant help it, wheras I think a lot of us go every weekend for something to do !
Old 17 July 2004, 09:13 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

At least your lesson has been learnt - if it's only small items that you need, the bike is best

I've been into the city centre 3 times in the last week for odd jobs (bank, shops, etc), and took my bicycle every time. Much quicker, much more enjoyable, free (!), no tailbacks to sit in, and bit of exercise into the bargain.
Old 17 July 2004, 09:16 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I've been into the city centre 3 times in the last week for odd jobs (bank, shops, etc), and took my bicycle every time. Much quicker, much more enjoyable
Sounds dead enjoyable, cycling in the city with traffic and fumes, not. Lesson learned? lol
Old 17 July 2004, 09:17 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Sounds dead enjoyable, cycling in the city with traffic and fumes, not. Lesson learned? lol
Don't knock it until you've tried it
Anyway, plenty of proper cycle paths in Edinburgh which are off-road (union canal, old railway paths, etc) - many of which lead into the city centre.
Old 17 July 2004, 09:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

it amazes me that we have this whole country yet at the weekend cram ourseleves into sh1tty retail parks wandering round f*ckin TK Maxx buying sh1te we dont really need or want because we have no imagination,
I think it's a good thing. Imagine how crowded the trails would be if all those families decided to keep fit and get some fresh air and exercise.

UB
Old 17 July 2004, 09:21 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Edinburgh smells, hehe
Old 17 July 2004, 09:22 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Just as an aside on retail parks - in Edinburgh, the local Costco and Ikea are in the same place, so the council named the road "Costkea Way" (no joke). Do any retail parks near you have such corny street names?
Old 17 July 2004, 09:22 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

True UB, in that case imlach can keep em
Old 17 July 2004, 11:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I quite like solitude but the odd person isnt a problem, I was tearing down the path alongside the Manchester airport runway aiming to stop by a gate and hit a piece of wire at waist height which sent me over the bars so it would be better if somebody found my body before it decomposed and got eaten, cant imagine why the wire was there, path for 2 miles and a bit of wire across it, I am not German and am not in a tank ?

Di

Amused myself for a bit by standing really near the runway and waiting for a plane, when it tore past I would point and wave my arms and put my head in my hands, hopefully the passengers were watching, I would imagine this would set the tone for the whole flight, perhaps holding the piece of drainpipe on my shoulder was a step to far though....

I am joking in the bit above by the way, I tend to find people dont have a sense of humour when it comes to airline safety.

Basically buy everything possible off the internet and avoid shops altogether, go to places of interest in low season and seek out places where no bugger goes, hence why I am sat in our kitchen !
Old 17 July 2004, 11:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

cant imagine why the wire was there, path for 2 miles and a bit of wire across it
Yeah but... did you spot the chavvy local youffs sat in nearby bushes laughing at you as they got higher on solvents and cider?

UB
Old 17 July 2004, 11:38 PM
King RA
BANNED

I agree with you J4CKO. The general public suck and are a pain in the ***. I try to avoid them as much as I can also. I HATE going to really busy events, just pi$$es me off people getting in my way all the time.

I guess thats why I have no friends and also spend most of my life in the kitchen
Old 19 July 2004, 09:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by imlach
Just as an aside on retail parks - in Edinburgh, the local Costco and Ikea are in the same place, so the council named the road "Costkea Way" (no joke). Do any retail parks near you have such corny street names?
imlach, in Pinner in North London, there is a walkway of maybe 200 yds cutting between two roads. Half-way along that walkway is (was?) a supermarket. When they first built it in the early 80s (converting the walkway from a turdy alley with used condoms, to a pleasant paved thoroughfare), the supermarket was called Bishop's, and so this walkway was therefore named Bishops Walk.

Five years later it got taken over by Budgens.

What it is now, 20 years after that, I've no idea. But last time I looked it was still called Bishops Walk.

And not a lot of people know that

The amusing thing is, one end of the walkway comes out near Pinner's thousand-year-old church. I'd put money on some local historian creating the history that this was the walkway along which the bishops would traditionally go to get to the church
Old 19 July 2004, 10:52 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I go out of my way to do things when everyone else ISN'T!

On bank holidays I am practically a prisoner in my own home because our town is cut off by the motorway which is rammed with caravans and people ALL going down to the SW en mass dragging their kids and worldly possesions along with them!

I now plan my holidays around bank holidays and school holidays so I don't have to compete for space and oxygen with the scummy proletariat! Weekend shopping is out of the question, and this Saturday was the first time I have been into Bristol centre for months!

All shopping for me is out of necessity only. If I can manage without it then I don't go, which is why I have had no curtains in my lounge for nearly a year!
Old 19 July 2004, 11:15 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

I do nearly all my shopping on-line and work every bank holiday.

I'd rather go away when I'm not suck in traffic and have to walk in the middle of a crowd.

My school was 3 miles away from my house and I never once got picked up in a car, nowdays the area around the school is gridlocked for 30 minutes in a morning and an hour in the afternoon.

Luckily I'm only a short drive away from many country parks (Clumber, Chatsworth, Hardwick, Thoresby, Rufford, Sherwood Forest/Pines, etc) and can be in the Peak District whithin half an hour.
Sodd spending all day in crowded city centres and retail parks.

Cheers
Lee