Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Slammin Vinyl Sanctuary closing party 10/07/04

Search this Thread

Old 15 July 2004, 07:28 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Slammin Vinyl Sanctuary closing party 10/07/04

The final rave to go off at the Sanctuary was always going to be a must attend event. The frantic efforts of promoters to put on their "Final" events told more than any flyer hype possibly could. But seeing as there was only one promoter to stage the venue's biggest ever parties,it was only fitting that Slammin' Vinyl took the final date, the night before the venue shut down for good. Having attended their last party in April and walked away with a feeling that an effort had been made with the lineup, production and lower price tickets, was well up for going to this party, esp. as the outdoor stage was due to make a welcome return.
I did not expect to encounter a problem, however, as is usually the case with this venue, one reared its head at the previous party I attended. I, along with the majority of the crowd, witnessed a violent assault on a DJ at the end of the night,not by a random raver, but by a member of the security team. This put me in an awkward position. I wanted to go, but I felt uncomfortable about being looked after by someone who was so quick with his temper. I felt I couldn't rave whilst looking over my shoulder for someone who was meant to be ensuring the night was trouble free. So, despite my friends attempts to persuade me otherwise, the genuinely exciting lineup and the promise of one of the largest raves I had ever seen kicking off less than an hour from where I lived, I reluctantly made other arrangements for the same night.
Saturday came and everything I had planned went out the window. Camping was off, the emergency backup free party i had been told about was not going ahead, so I was left with a choice of going to Slammin and taking a chance that the security would (For once) chill out a bit, or staying in and trimming my toenails. No choice at all really, Slammin' here I come
After a few phonecalls to secure a ticket,despite Slammin' selling out a few days before, I managed to butter up Sketchy and he sorted me out at VERY late notice (Cheers mate!). As the party approached I sorted out my rave gear and Energy drinks. For once I didnt have to pick up loads of people on my trip up to Milton Keynes (must remember to say i'm not going to more raves :wink: ) although the trip up was a little duller than when I had company. When I arrived, I didn't bother going near the venue, I knew it would be mayhem. Instead, I waved off to my usual quiet parking place and walked back down to the party. On my way back, I noticed ravers everywhere. Friends were seen climbing out of car windows to say hello and stuff, this was looking good. I was getting pre rave butterflies for the first time in a long time.
Upon meeting Sketchy and the rest of his crew, we made our way to the Sanctuary. No paper ticket after handing over 30 quid was a little unnerving, but it had other benefits such as use of the VIP entrance and no massive queue to negotiate. Once in the queue the group we were in was seperated from the others and made to wait seperately. However it weren't all that bad. The big top at the other end of the complex was kicking and even though it was muffled by 100m of distance and heavy circus covering, I could tell Storm and Whizzkid were on the Mic, as could the rest of the waiting ravers who were singing along to their lyrics
Eventually,we got to the front of the queue and after a reasonable search, we were let in the venue. After thanking Sketchy for his kind help, I made a beeline for the bigtop.
When I got in, I was seriously impressed. Even though it was effectively an indoor rave arena in a big top, you cant help but be impressed when you get inside a circus and are confronted by a rave. A good sized crowd was also in the place, as was resident Hardstyle monster, Mark EG. Given an early set, but making the most of what he had, Mark was on top form and was going full tilt despite the fact it was not even dark outside! Going crazy behind the decks is Mr.EG's trademark and as usual he was in his element. Biting vinyl in half is a new one on me, but I hope the ravers he handed the pieces to wiped the drool off after he had finished. Storm and Whizzkid were also early arrivers and were doing a top job of getting the crowd prepared for the nights forthcoming excertations. I really enjoyed this set. Maybe I'm getting old, but it was nice to warm up before the night really got down to Hardcore business we were promised later on.
After Mark had finished, one genre hop later and it was the turn of the Ratpack to grace the bigtop. Starting off with the most popular tunes the old skool had to offer and not moving away from the anthems no matter what, it was nice to hear some of their tunes they had trademarked as it occurred to me that it had been a long time since I had seen a Ratpack set. Playing "Out of Space" is always a popular option, as was the original mix of "On a Ragga Tip",but on the whole the set was a little to slow for my personal tastes. Besides, I needed a drink at this point, to I headed for the Sanc for some liquid refreshment.
After fighting my way in, I was confronted by a silent main arena. Even stranger was the token system in place for drinks. A first for me at the Sanctuary, I dont pretend to know the reasons why this had been put in place, but after a fairly lengthy queue for tokens, it was fair to say that I didnt have to wait long at the bar itself for a drink.
I left the Sanctuary sipping a bottle of Lucozade sport and then I noticed the extent of the complex. Over by The Rollers, there was a funfair with several rides in place. These were going all night and the by far the best bit was the "MC" on the main ride, asking people to make some noise throughout the night, whilst making similar demands on their stomachs for its contents. Only after looking at the funfair for a few minutes did I realise that I was standing outside a building I had never been in before. Making my way to the entrance, I went inside and after nearly falling over the picket fence that was somewhere in the darkness, I made my way to the dance arena. I found a few friendly faces and sat down for a bit and chatted. However the Dj playing had other ideas. DJ Tease was his name and although the start of his set was VERY subdued on the volume side of things, he sneakily wicked up the volume throughout his set and was playing at a respectable level by the time he finished. It was an unusual way to warm up the ravers, but it worked, as the next DJ was greeted by a nice sized crowd when he got up to play. I have had the privilige of listening to DJ Scottie before so i knew I was going to get a good set from him when he stepped up. He didn't let me down at all either, playing a mint old skool set which finallygot my night going properly. Playing a nicemix of anthems and lesser played tunes from more than the usual 92-93 era, I was raving throughout his set, especially with the surprise appearence of Odyssey and Smiley on the mic. I went bananas when he dropped "Head in the clouds" as I love that tune. Equally good was "Let it lift you", "Hand of Destiny" and best of all,finishing on "Jeeha!" Top start to a further 10 hours partying I had in front of me.
If that weren't good enough, the next DJ was even better. Phantasy came on next and although I was expecting DnB, he surprised quite a few people with a wicked 88-89 house set which although saw more than a few people leave the arena (Philistines) the "Senior" members of the crowd, which includes me these days :wink: , were rooted to the spot and going for it like there was no tomorrow. Yes it was slow, yes it was nothing new, no I couldn't name any of the tunes, but you know what? I didn't care. Everyone needs to rave to a 88 house set every once in a while. It was where it all started and quite frankly it would be rude not to get moving when it came on. Good set. No thats not enough. Great set.

Even though I was loving it, I needed a drink halfway through the set. I forgot about the bar in the corner and went over to the Sanctuary. Thank God i did. D-Ice and Reality were tearing the main arena apart in an awesome upfront set. Ever wanted to be in two places at once? I wanted to be in the toilets and by the bar, but I found myself on the dancefloor and going for it. Criminally, their set was almost over, but it didnt matter as the Bristol boys had saved the best till last. Thier final tune was the awesome "Wheels of Time". I love this tune, it makes me rush like a barsteward when it comes on, which is not often enough. I would have preferred to have caught their entire set, but the last tune made up for it.

Next up on my tour of the complex,I felt the need for some techno. I had planned on spending some more time up here, but I am glad of the time I spent. DJ Brainy I think his name was, I couldnt be sure as the tunes were so loud, but they were just as loud as they were good and I was going for it right next to the speaker as the birkenhead fought over the mic. The winner most of the time was MC Andy L and even though I am sure he is a mic blagger, his competent performance enhanced the set and at least kept the mic in the hands of someone who, IMO, knows what hes doing and away from the numpties who want to blag, but dont have his ability. During the set i noticed the way the sweatbox was decorated. Er, it wasnt So much the better though. Unknowns on the decks and mic? Underground techno being pumped out? bare ceiling and no megabucks production? It felt like an illegal party and I was having a great time. For one last time I felt the familiar bumping of my tendons in my ankles as I stood on the bouncy floor and felt it flex like a good un. Wicked.
For quite a while I wandered round the complex, just taking in the specticle of the whole thing. It was near 11pm and there was still a sizeable queue outside,I had been in for hours and i wouldnt have it any other way though. I was on a rave expedition and nothing was going to stop me till the music finished. The next set I caught was one I really wanted to see. Sy in the Big top. As with D-Ice and Reality's set, I only caught the tail end, but Storm and Sy had everything under control as usual and I quickly lost myself in the music once I got there. I never get tired of Sy's tune selection and this set was just as good as it always is,with "Into the sound", "Heartbeatz" and "Only your love" being notable highlights. It was a pity I hadn't caught all his set, but I would be seeing more than enough of him later on as I well knew so it was okay.
The next set in the Big top was very interesting. Hype and Andy C were going b2b, but Skibadee was late and hadn't turned up yet. As soon as his hour was up, Storm was offski pretty bloody sharpish, leaving a bemused Whizzkid holding the mic with an unusually low amount of people more than willing to take it off him. Ever the professional, he did the only thing he could and as such I was priviliged to see a rare DnB set with the one and only Whizzkid on the Mic. It goes to show how much the music has changed since I have stopped listening to it, as the only tune I recognised was "Bodyrock" However, the real highlight was the man on the mic. Having the courage to stand your ground and MC to a style you're not familiar with because if you dont some clueless amateur will take over and ruin the set takes courage, but thats exactly what he did. It was impressive to say the least and he even got some of the crowd returning "Pump Pump" when he dropped it. After about 20 minutes Skiba showed up and the place went mental when he took over, but for me, the REAL respect has to go to Gordy who was quietly making his way off stage having maintained the high quality of the night and kept the mic work in the realms of the professional.
Next up was the real highlight of the night. The last ever Hardcore set in the Sanctuary. Hixxy was meant to take this accolade, but after an accident on the way there which fortunatly was limited to dented metal and not dented DJs, it meant he couldn't get to the venue in time. Seduction was the obivious choice to replace him. As Storm said when he introduced the man him self "He promoted the first and last Hardcore events at the Sanctuary", that gives him all the qualifications he needs in my book. Best to let him get to work. OMG what a set. I cant remember a thing about it. its a complete blur apart from a few highlights. Tune ID'ing went straight out the window and I got on with being surrounded by my friends and raving as hard as i could. The Best MCs in the land were there, a DJ was on the decks who knew exactly what he was doing and I was down the front. Can it get any better than that? The MCs deserve a special shout during this set, Storm, Whizzkid and Odyssey were on peak form and each of them had a special moment to themselves whilst on the mic to say goodbye to the tin box they had performed under so many times. Storm was on it when he dropped "Just Accept it", Whizzkid was amazing when he performed "Pump Pump" and Odyssey was out of this world when he cained "Chemical to the Brain". Together with Seduction dropping tunes both old and new like "Fly away", "Hypnotizer" and finishing on none other than "The one that I adore" it was, dare I say it, the perfect curtain call for Hardcore at the Sanctuary. A fact empasised when it was over and the departing Hardcore ravers literally emptied the dancefloor. Just as Radio One started their live broadcast!
Another trip to the Rollers was in order now, I felt like some more old skool and in a near psychic case of being in the right place at the right time, was just in time for another highlight of the night. Ellis Dee and Ribbz were just about done when I turned up and Mr Dee's final tune was the classic "You had it all", but even that was overshadowed by another chance to see one of my personal favourite Old Skool DJs. Ramos stepped up and did what he does best. A top 95 Hardcore set. This is the reason why its such a pleasure to see Ramos play out any time I get the opportunity. He plays the tunes that I like and thats all the reason I need. This time it was doubly good because Marley and Rude were on the mic and were keeping it minimal and letting the tunes do the talking. A good move when they are as good as "Like this", "Party time", the awesome "Incognito", a tangent into Drum and Bass with "Valley of the Shadows" and "Champion Sound", the amazing "Journey", "6 days", "Terminator", and finishing with "Gotta believe". Another set from Ramos which produced rush after rush, on more than one occasion, I looked at my arm and the hairs were all up on stalks and the skin was all goosebumpy. You can't ask much more than that from a set, can you?
There was only one place i wanted to be after that. Enough of the Oldskool, bring on the Hardcore! I made my way over to the Fastrack and when I got in, Scott Brown was behind the decks. Thats Hardcore enough for me thank you very much! Together with Another helping of Storm and Whizzkid on the mic, Scott played a top set, keeping to his trademarks by going for a full on trance influenced set for the first half with "This is How we do it", "Turn up the Music", "Heartbeatz", "Only your love" and "Back and fourth", before turning up the heat with a full on Gabbafest at the end. This consisted largely of tunes which I had not heard before and was all the better for it. Sometimes its nice to dark the place up a bit, even though he finished with the most popular tune of the moment, "Boomstick".
Next up was a real shock. Hixxy, fresh from a damn car crash had not only come to the rave, but wanted to play! I would have totally understood if he had not bothered and gone home to sleep off the headache, but being professional must be important enough to him to play so respect, as they say, is due. Storm was providing the lyrical support to the set and together they went for it as only the RBC can. Despite the fact I saw them only last week, the difference in the sets was a large as the rave they were playing in. Nice newer stuff like "Honesty will set you free" and the "HTID" tune was mixed in with timeless classics such as "Sweet love of my life" and his closing tune, "Your Shining" to make a top set which I danced all the way through to. It must have been a chore to do that set with the knowledge of a trashed car and lots of insurance forms to fill in, but if you're hardcore I dont have nothing bad to say about someone who is Hardcore enough to pile their motor and still play their set.
Taking the 4-4.30 set was Scottish legend Marc smith. Only Half an hour to play with, but with a new label to launch it was filled to the brim with top tunage. Another one to keep to his trademarks, Marc Played fast and Hard from the word go and didnt stop till he had finished. Wottsee joined him on the mic and together they let rip with top new stuff mixing with older tunes like "Rippin Up", "Gravity", "Here it comes", "3000 cycles", the **** hot "Are you ready for the ride" and finishing with a tune called "Killer" which was notable for the bassline which sucked the air out of my lungs when it came in. One thing for sure, half an hour was not long enough for me.
However, the climax of the night was upon us, so I was totally focused on it and nothing else. Slipmatt, Seduction and Sy joined forces and went b2b2b to say goodbye to the Sanctuary for the final time. Storm was the natural choice to take us to the end and after a long verbal introduction of each DJ, the rest of the evening was turned over to their "History of Hardcore" set. If the crowd had thinned out then someone had obiviously forgotten to tell them to do so. The place was packed with every spare piece of dancefloor taken up by ravers anxious to see what these three had in store for us. No messing about here, they just played the best tunes in their record bag. I couldnt tell if it had been rehersed or not, but each DJ stepped up after the other had played a tune and mixed in another blinder. I could list each individual tune to illustrate it, but I would be here all night. But its worth it cos they were all so good so I will. Starting off at the Old Skool with tunes like "Feel so real", "I Need your loving", "get up and dance", they covered the early years with panache. Moving on to the golden age, when hardcore could do no wrong, they dropped "Hand of Destiny", "Give it to me baby"and "Rainbow high in the sky". Finally, they brought us bang up to date with "Keep the crowd Jumpin", "Neckbreaker" "Back to the front" and "Free your mind". By this time it was nearing 6am and the night had nearly finished. but if someone had only told the DJs, I still think they wouldnt had cared. 6am came and went and Slammin Vinyl became an Illegal rave. The bouncers who are so usually on it when it comes to shutting down the night on time indulged the ravers for this one occassion. The three men in the DJ box knew they had to make the most of it and went to work. Caning tune after tune, each of which was more than capable of finishing the night on its own, one after the other. "Heart of Gold", "Can you feel the passion", "Discoland", "Set you free", "Love of my life", "Sun Shine on a rainy day" Each was mixed in double quick to give the ravers what they wanted. Nobody was leaving, everybody stood their ground and stomped their guts out. It was an amazing experience. The only way to say goodbye to the place where so many have raved was to go beyond "Just another Hardcore rave" and play illegally just cos it had to be done as there was nothing the council could to about it. Finally the night was brought to an end a full 28 minutes after 6am and Storm paid an emotional farewell to a place that was obiviously close to his heart. I weren't even sure who played the final tune, but it was the best way to go. Toytown. Original mix. Nothing more to say,the ravers got on it one last time till the music faded out.

Things I liked.

Lineup: Particularly in the first half of the evening where up and comings were given a chance to play to huge crowds. Despite the lack of lineups which were displayed, I managed to like just about everything that was on when I walked into an arena. Phantasy played 88-89 house FFS, How much more variety do you want? I was more than happy.

Sound system: For once, the rules didnt matter and we got a taste of just how loud the sound system can go. Damn loud in case your interested. I was glad I didn't have any fillings as they would have been rattled out by the end of the night.

Atmosphere: Only minor trouble all night and the only people I saw getting kicked out were full of hate anyways so they wouldnt be missed. The atmosphere in the Rollers was particularly good with a happy party crew raving to the sounds of yesteryear in the best possible way. I really enjoyed that arena. Glad I could go in there before it got knocked down.

The "Extension": totally wicked. Half an hour extra and IIRC the hardcore arena was the last to go silent. No-body moved for 15 minutes after that cos they were asking for one more. Best part of the night.

Big top: A prudent measure from Slammin with the promise of rain. I only saw a few showers myself, but it was nice of them to keep the ravers dry for the final party.

Things I liked less:

Strobes: Once more facing into the crowd, once more people went down before the night was over. The MCs were asking for them to be turned off but they didnt seem to take any notice. Sort it out, it cant be that difficult to specify "No strobes" when ordering the lighting rig.

Toilets: More toilets were needed at this party. Only two sets of Portaloos and the rest of the party had to use the Sanctuary toilets. All 9000 of us!

Queues: Quite often there was a huge queue and you had to fight your way into the arena. more of an inconvenience than a gripe, but 15 minutes off your night every time you wanted a change is a little excessive.

Enviromental health: They turned up and shut down the wicked Gurn.net bus. Her name was Kim Bennet and she had no sense of irony in shutting down a tiny unlicenced sound system not 100M from a monstrous, yet licenced one. Then she went back home and spent the rest of the evening masturbating in her own filth. Allegedly.

Thankfully, the promoters had more of a sense of occasion than the council workers and made sure the Final rave at the Sanctuary was well appointed. Lineup? Massive. Music? Varied as hell (88 house, nice one!), Sound restrictions? Bollox to em! Closing time? when the DJ feels like it! Big top? Just a little bit of an extension (Like two hours!). All this made the party extra special and as such I thoroughly enjoyed this rave. I remember being excited when I got inside, Dancing for near 10 hours when I got there and loving the music that was on offer. Of course there were downers, its Slammin Vinyl at the Sanctuary. However, most of the gripes are directed at the venue. As its getting knocked to the ground very soon then it shouldnt be a problem anymore. I await with interest what Slammin will do with the Bath and West Showground when they get there. Hopefully the dodgy security, badly planned crowd control, crap toilet facilities and **** like Environmental health will be a thing of the past when Slammin move on. One thing is for sure, the promoters made every effort to make sure I enjoyed my final night at the Sanctuary. And it worked. I'll see you at Bath and West!
astraboy.
Old 16 July 2004, 08:19 PM
SyHightower
Scooby Regular

holy ****,thats the biggest one post iver ever seen
Old 16 July 2004, 08:22 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AB, do you sit there making notes or remember it all ?
Old 16 July 2004, 08:39 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SyHightower
holy ****,thats the biggest one post iver ever seen

I'ts a CUT/PASTE from narcotics weekly.
Old 16 July 2004, 09:40 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

have alot of time on ur hands eh sanctuary was cool all the times ive been there:0
Old 16 July 2004, 09:40 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Ah, The Sanctuary. Used to go loads way back when they held Dreamscape there.

Every 2 months from one New Year party to next.
Old 19 July 2004, 09:05 AM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
AB, do you sit there making notes or remember it all ?
I remember the events, happenings, general goings on and the DJs, but I make a note of the tunes that are played. They are the only thing I cant remember well so i spend 5 seconds writing them down when I recognise them, then get on with dancing.
astraboy.
P.S. Yes it is a long post isnt it? 4500 words, my biggest ever review