Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NAD Home Cinema

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 07:23 AM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAD Home Cinema

Anyone any experience with NAD AV / DVD equipment.

I know their roots are in HiFi and used to have a good reputation for a reasonable price.

I am thinking of thisAV Receiver and this DVD.

With some KEF 2005.2's

T.
Old 14 July 2004, 08:30 AM
mad_dr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trumble
With some KEF 2005.2's
2005.2s are on offer at play.com for £599!

Great speakers - Get em before they run out!

In terms of the Amplifier/Receiver, I'd personally go for the Yamaha RXV740RDS. Much more power than the NAD (90w RMS/C as opposed to 60w RMS/C) and you'll want to drive those KEFs well!

I don't recognise that DVD Player - I've head of the 512, but not the 513. Preety decent player - just make sure you budget for a decent Scart cable (£50 IXOS or something similar) and decent Digital Co-Axial for the sound.
Old 14 July 2004, 10:27 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

spent many months (?years) reading on-line reviews about AVR's - Onkyo, Yamaha, Sony, Technics, ....... and the general opinion about them was that they were good at home theatre but only so-so for music reproduction
Can't say I'm an audiophile, but do like my music and do like good reproduction.
The NAD range appeared to be the first to claim to come from a musical background that also catered for home theatre; and this was endorsed by a couple of reviews.
So I bought the NAD T742 AVR, which I thought may be under-powered at 55watts per channel, but was the top price I wanted to pay.
Had it now for 7 months and am very pleased with it.
The speakers I use aren't special (8 ohm with tweeter, mid-range and woofers) and I don't have a sub-woofer - but I get faithful sound reproduction and good sound stage across the 5 speakers (and the NAD automatically compensates for no sub-woofer).
I have the 5 channels feeding out of the DVD, via the NAD, thru to the speakers (and the DVD is a cheap no-name brand [30 quid from the local supermarket; we'll be into blu-ray recordable DVD in a couple of years, so I don't think the DVD is the place to spend money).
Only downside to the T742 is that it does not carry the new 6.1 output, but I'll live with that.
If you want to audition a NAD, try one of the Queen compilation DVD's or Beegees live in concert (make sure they are the DTS version and the audio track is selected as 5:1).
Can't say I'm particularly a fan of either group, but the soundstage is so gob-smackingly good, it insists on being listened to.
Good luck with your purchase.
Old 14 July 2004, 10:36 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NAD are very good bits of kit and very well made.

Whether it's Hi-Fi or AV you need to go along to a dem room and have a listen. I bought my Brother a Hi-Fi system for his 21st and although I had my mind set on a NAD setup, we both preferred a mix of NAD amp and Denon CD-player

I was very scepticle, but we both noticed a difference between all the kit combinations we went through. The speakers made a big difference, so I brought mine in with us for the test.

Stefan
Old 14 July 2004, 11:09 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Another vote for NAD amps (got 2 of them), mixed with Denon CD and Kenwood Tape. NAD seem to understate the output of their kit in a big way. I have an old 3020e that claims to be a mere 20 wpc. Having been in halls and had to compete with all the other stereos there, I had no trouble drowing out claimed 50wpc kit. Mind you I did have rather large Richard Allen Pavane speakers

On the home cinema front I actually ended up going with a Panasonic AV and separate Panasonic DVD (gonna have to upgrade that for a DVD RAM soon )
Old 14 July 2004, 11:17 AM
philc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
I had no trouble drowing out claimed 50wpc kit. Mind you I did have rather large Richard Allen Pavane speakers
- hey, that's what I'm using as the centre speaker; a very large 30 year old Richard Allen speaker. Can crank it up with the NAd to more decibels than I can cope with
Old 14 July 2004, 11:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by philc
- hey, that's what I'm using as the centre speaker; a very large 30 year old Richard Allen speaker. Can crank it up with the NAd to more decibels than I can cope with
Yup - most excellent - got a pair of them wired up with 79 strand.
Old 15 July 2004, 12:05 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys - I'll try and get a demo this weekend of NAD + KEFs

T.