Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

My current weight loss. cant be right can it?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 10:01 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My current weight loss. cant be right can it?

since my post on weight loss and the such ive been to the gym 6 times for 2 hours and eaten mainly salmon and rice, corn, pasta. occasionaly been bad with a slice or two of pizza and fish and chips once. Kept below 2500 calories a day. well, apart from tuesday when i went and had 5 pints.

But whats strange is that according to my bathroom scales is that ive gone from 16.6 stone to 15.14 stone (dont know how it got to .14). ive read that a large amount of water is lost in the 1st few weeks but do you think thats right?

also im feeling a lot better
Old 08 July 2004, 10:20 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

generally you will lose a lot in the first couple of weeks then it will stabilise. you want to aim to lose about 2lbs per week steadily, this way you have more chance of keeping the weight off.

You WILL get weeks where you eat less, excercise more, and your weight stays the same or goes up! done be disheartened, this is normal, just keep plugging away. There is a big mental issue with losing weight, soon as you notice size reducing it will spurr you on.

I cut out a lot of booze to help me shed some weight, beer and all that **** is a killer in large amounts + it turns you into a fat ****er, so then you drink more because you are unhappy that you are putting on weight and so the cycle begins
Old 08 July 2004, 10:31 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

yes its water loss. no more than 2lbs of that would be fat, the rest would be water loss.

because you're eating less crap than u used to and you've cleaned up your diet, you're retaining less water.

keep it clean and the fat will go.
Old 08 July 2004, 10:33 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

I cut out a lot of booze to help me shed some weight, beer and all that **** is a killer in large amounts + it turns you into a fat ****er, so then you drink more because you are unhappy that you are putting on weight and so the cycle begins
btw, for those drinkers out there.. its not just the calories in it that's bad. it's actually ludicriously liver toxic. the damage alcohol does to your liver is irreversable.
Old 08 July 2004, 10:44 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Beware! It's because your body has two different kinds of food store, Fat and Glycogen. Glycogen is the animal equivalent of starch in plants and it's really easy for the body to free up and use when you are not taking enough calories in for your body's daily needs. There's about ten pounds of this in an average adult male's body. The fat stores are a lot harder for the body to get at. They won't hardly have been touched by your regime in the first week, and if you go rewarding yourself with a mini binge you'll find you can put a startling amount back on in a very short time. Keep up what you are doing and the steady drain on your fat reserves will begin, while your glycogen store will build up again and stabilise. There is much more energy weight for weight in fat than in glycogen, which is why weightloss will slow down. I have to emphasize that rapid weightloss is bad because you actually lose muscle mass as well as fat if you do it too drastically.

(I lost 5 stones and have kept 4 1/2 of them off for two years).
Old 08 July 2004, 10:44 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
btw, for those drinkers out there.. its not just the calories in it that's bad. it's actually ludicriously liver toxic. the damage alcohol does to your liver is irreversable.

sorry forgot to add the damage the booze does apart from the calories nice catch milo.

and if im honest, since cutting down on the booze over the last few months (properly) I feel much better.
Old 08 July 2004, 11:08 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

ok
if i drink water when thirsty at the gym after making my tshirt all clingy and wet, will this keep me heavy?
Old 08 July 2004, 11:10 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
ok
if i drink water when thirsty at the gym after making my tshirt all clingy and wet, will this keep me heavy?
lol.. what are u talking about bro?

you dont WANT to be heavy via water retention. aside from which drinking more water makes you retain LESS water (which is a VERY good thing).

if you think you're losing weight too fast, up your calories a little via clean foods.
Old 08 July 2004, 11:15 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about the weight of the water, it's really easy to get obsessed by the scales. Get weighed once a week ( if you can bear not to check more often). Drink loads of water, it's healthy. When these food stores break down and get used you get harmful by-products that need flushing out of your body.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:08 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

I wove getting weighed once a week

15.14? I think your scales are fooked or your glasses might be someone elses
Old 09 July 2004, 01:57 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

15.14?
thats 16 ain't it?

ps sick of tuna. have eaten more than before not dropped a penny, yet a pound
Old 09 July 2004, 11:16 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

sick of tuna?! tinned or steak from fish market?

love tuna. bit pricey at £4 a lb.
Old 09 July 2004, 12:57 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

you need to drink lots of cold water, as it's that that gets the fat out of your body (when you urinate)

i found swapping from white bread to brown to be a big difference - and also drinking lots of apple juice instead of the usual canned sh!te.

Try and keep your carb intake down to a minimum after 5pm - otherwise you don't give your body enough time to burn it off before going to bed.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:40 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

On messiah's point of drinking cold water.....

The colder the better as the stomach has to worm the water (burning calories) before it gets digested.

Good look with the weight loss Poor Guy ,in total I've lost 7 and a half stone I was 21 and a half stone or at least that's what I think I weighted the scales only went up to 20 stone then it was round back to 1 and a half stone.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:47 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Ive always been a skinny runt and could drink as much alcohol as I liked until I passed out and I never put any fat on, about 2 years ago I gave up cr@p like fizzy drinks and stuff and the only thing I drink now is water and beer... since going onto water I piled on loads of weight and from a 30waist 2 years ago Im now popping buttoms at 34.... I put this down to the water... is it or isnt it??? I do drink quite alot of it. at least 4-5 tall glasses everyday at work and maybe a pint at night.... sometimes I could drink the best part of 5 pints of water in a couple of hours at home if I dont fancy a beer. Still think its this thats putting the weight on...?

cutting down on the alcohol and fatty foods (not calorie counting or anything) just cutting down, trying to do some running to burn the fat off the belly, wanna lose it whilst I still can rather than getting to 15 stone and finding it alot harder....

what do u think?
Old 09 July 2004, 01:54 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Be careful how much water you drink

Drinking too much water can kill you......it can cause Hyponatraemia (low sodium in the blood)

Cutting down on calorie intake will help you to loose weight as will exercise ,the goal is to burn more than you put in
Old 09 July 2004, 01:56 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

also find drinking water at work makes me need the toilet about once an hour damn annoying.
Old 09 July 2004, 02:05 PM
super_si
Scooby Regular

I lost 4lbs in 4 days but assisted
Old 09 July 2004, 03:07 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Jasoon - you were 21 st +?

Bloody hell - I'd never have thought that, you obviously done well - no wonder you're closing in on the 1,000,000 mile mark on the rowing machine! - what weight are you now?
Old 09 July 2004, 03:17 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

I'm currently 14 stone ,I got down to 12 stone 11 but I looked pail and unwell all the time so I put some weight back on by weight training.

I wish it was a million miles ,its a million meters.....
Old 09 July 2004, 03:30 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I take my hat off to you - I wouldnt have said you were 14 st either. nice going. I hope Poor Guy can take some inspiration from that. It's all very well us "skinny" sods handing out advice but getting it from someone who's actually done carries more weight - if you pardon the expression.
Old 09 July 2004, 03:38 PM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the comments messiah
Old 10 July 2004, 12:59 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Poor Guy
sick of tuna?! tinned or steak from fish market?

love tuna. bit pricey at £4 a lb.

tinned in brine

had it for the last 3 days,in wholemeal bread and salad,
i eat it in a way when you have your back teeth chewing with a grossed facial expression (no joke)
Old 10 July 2004, 01:10 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

any one knows what the ideal weight for a guy 5'11"
if i am correct i just need to get rid of this sagging 215 45 17 goodyear F1 GSD03 around my flipping waist

amusing thing i found out was before (xmas time,) i am a 38" trouser waist , lost some weight this year don't know what i am currently .
guys ! what type actually properly buy clothes themselves

the 38 trousers falls off me,(lucky i have a belt)
36" seems ok, (as i like baggy clothes, the EYES LIES)
ordered a pair of jeans (via net) for a 36W 32 L (baggy fitting)
bought a pair at asda, for 34w 32L that fits well,
received the jeans 36w ones today fits alright, i can put them on like my trainers (don't need doing up) just leave the buttons on and pull them up.
bizarre thing is that i can wear the 36w jeans on top of the 34W jeans and wear 2 jeans. oh $hit
i also can wiggle out of the 34w jeans.

just can't get rid of this flab around me damn waist
anyone wanna buy some flab? group buy anyone? plenty to go round
Old 10 July 2004, 08:11 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

Your better going of the % body fat rather than one of them height / weight charts.

As for getting rid of flab around the waist ,there isn't a quick fix.
And doing million's of sit-ups wont help....
Old 10 July 2004, 09:43 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

always forgot to ask this
should one be obsessed with the scales or tape measure

i remember someone saying that the scales is not too good, because of bones, fat muscle, and water.
but tape measure it depends if you're bloated!

hmm
Old 10 July 2004, 10:02 AM
milo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wwp8
always forgot to ask this
should one be obsessed with the scales or tape measure
neither. go by the mirror and calipers once a week at the most (preferably less frequently).

micro-managing your fat loss is neither healthy nor good for you psychologically.

if your diet is clean, you're eating just under maintenence calories, and you're eating several times a day, the fat will drop off in time. dont change up your diet and expect 3 days later to be a stone less fat. it doesnt work like that.
Old 10 July 2004, 10:39 AM
Jasoon
Scooby Regular

invest in a body fat monitor.
Old 10 July 2004, 02:58 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

For 5' 11'', they reckon a bit under 13 stone, maybe 12 1/2 stone for someone with medium to large build. I would go for the upper one because, as Jasoon says, it's all too easy to look a bit pale and ill when you go a bit too far.
Old 11 July 2004, 12:39 AM
wwp8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by milo
neither. go by the mirror and calipers once a week at the most (preferably less frequently).

micro-managing your fat loss is neither healthy nor good for you psychologically.

if your diet is clean, you're eating just under maintenence calories, and you're eating several times a day, the fat will drop off in time. dont change up your diet and expect 3 days later to be a stone less fat. it doesnt work like that.

i know you mentioned calipers b4 but i don't know if my 4pots lying round works
seriously though not too keen on something pinching my flab, and believe me its a much bigger chunk that a big mac.

do you recomend those protein drinks, cos i'm not too keen on eating frequently to get more protein!

Originally Posted by Bubba po
For 5' 11'', they reckon a bit under 13 stone, maybe 12 1/2 stone for someone with medium to large build. I would go for the upper one because, as Jasoon says, it's all too easy to look a bit pale and ill when you go a bit too far.
well i am depends on tim/day 12 stone and either 8 pounds or 10 pounds and have a LARGE chunk of flab.

Quick Reply: My current weight loss. cant be right can it?