Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Product descriptions on internet orders (lying retailer!)

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 04:18 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product descriptions on internet orders (lying retailer!)

My brother bought some blank DVDs from a very well-known internet retailer the other day. The product description said "Packaged in Tubs of 100." The product title was ambiguous, and said "...2x in 50pk". I complained (on my bro's behalf) that he only received 50 discs. During the course of my mail conversation with Customer Services at that firm, they've edited the product description to say "Packaged in Tubs of 50.".

They then replied to say (and this is a direct cut'n'paste)
The item is described correctly. As you are aware the 2x refers to the speed, the quantity shows 50pck, as in there are 50 discs. Nowhere on this specification on our web site does it state that this item is packaged in tubs of 100, it clearly states 50
Now, I don't have a screenshot of the previous 'version'. They are blatantly lying, but how can I prove it? It's a small purchase but this really bugs me. I wouldn't have expected behaviour like this. They're a VERY well known firm. I won't name them for now.
Old 07 July 2004, 04:30 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fatman
My brother bought some blank DVDs from a very well-known internet retailer the other day. The product description said "Packaged in Tubs of 100." The product title was ambiguous, and said "...2x in 50pk". I complained (on my bro's behalf) that he only received 50 discs. During the course of my mail conversation with Customer Services at that firm, they've edited the product description to say "Packaged in Tubs of 50.".

Now, I don't have a screenshot of the previous 'version'. They are blatantly lying, but how can I prove it? It's a small purchase but this really bugs me. I wouldn't have expected behaviour like this. They're a VERY well known firm. I won't name them for now.

go back through your internet cache... its possible it may be there??
Old 07 July 2004, 04:33 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

It's not in mine or my bro's unforunately
Old 07 July 2004, 04:37 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

You can see how it happened of course....someone read it as "2x 50pk" and someone who put it on the website and doesn't know about the technology has interpreted it a different way

Not sure what the rules are on this.....
Old 07 July 2004, 04:41 PM
Edmund
Scooby Newbie

I guess it's DABS, isn't it?

I think that according Consumer Act, you can return anything you buy over the phone or internet within 7 days from the day you receive it. Does it help?
Old 07 July 2004, 04:41 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I don't see how "Packaged in Tubs of 100" can be misinterpreted. I also don't see how I'm going to prove them wrong. I think the cheeky ******* are going to get away with it... Shame... being such a big brand I thought them above such low tactics.
Old 07 July 2004, 04:44 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

I never said it was . Yeah, he probably could return the DVDs. He won't, and I don't think a "point of principle" return would even be noticed.
Old 07 July 2004, 04:45 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

I don't see how "Packaged in Tubs of 100" can be misinterpreted.

No, of course it can't - I was just speculating on how easy it probably was entered that way into their database by someone who didn't know how discs were described, namely "2x 50pk".

I suspect as someone said, you could get your money back if you sent the product back unopened.....
Old 07 July 2004, 04:47 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Sorry, I know that wasn't your point mate. I'm just supremely wound up about this. Petty, perhaps, since it's a cheap purchase. But the principle of a retailer so shamelessly lying and (probably) getting away with it really tangs.
Old 07 July 2004, 04:51 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Well... we've found another website that refers back to *this* retailers website. It's a price-comparison type site that has stored their old product description. I wonder if that's of any use to getting the correct order fulfilled?
Old 07 July 2004, 05:22 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Well... we've found another website that refers back to *this* retailers website. It's a price-comparison type site that has stored their old product description. I wonder if that's of any use to getting the correct order fulfilled?
Possibly.

Like you say, the product description on the site clearly stated in tubs of 100. A mistake has been made at their end and you (or your brother) has purchased the item, as described, in good faith of receiveing said item.

Take it higher, speak to a supervisor in customer services and see what response you get. If no joy, take it above them. You should get something if you try hard enough and if they have any sense they will not wont the bad press you, as a dissatisfied customer, are likely to give.

7 day rules. Yes, you as the customer are able to return any product sold via distance selling within 7 WORKING days. Typically, at your own cost and no refund of original shipping costs.

Hope this helps!

And, I think you should name and shame anyway!

Buck

PS, when complaining always use the word unsatisfied or dissatisfied (sp's?) very effective when complaining.
Old 07 July 2004, 06:45 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Thanks Buck. Yeah - I'll certainly be taking this higher. I'll give them 'til tomorrow afternoon to try and remedy the situation and then I'll escalate it. Definitely A case of Bogus Sincerity on the part of the retailer, I say! I'll let you know...
Old 08 July 2004, 04:19 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Guess what...? No further replies from the retailer! Time to write to the customer services supervisor.