Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Best 32" Widescreen telly for £1000 or less.

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2004, 12:01 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 32" Widescreen telly for £1000 or less.

Hi All

Need to upgrade my current telly (Toshiba) Its been ultra reliable for 6 years.
Any reccomendations ? Obviously want a great picture & good name.
LCD or Plasma or conventional ????

Ro.

Last edited by RoShamBo; 06 July 2004 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06 July 2004, 12:17 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Panasonic TX32 PD30 or PD30C. Nothing else to say really. IMO the best 32". Plugged into a good cinema system you will have an awsome set-up.
Old 06 July 2004, 12:25 PM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, I have a Panasonic as well, slightly different model TX32PS12 100hz jobby but top picture quality for the money.
Old 06 July 2004, 01:21 PM
milo
Scooby Regular

if you've been happy with your brand.. toshiba 32zd26. can be got for around 800ish.
Old 06 July 2004, 01:32 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Sony - IMHO anything else is a waste of money - and the Wega's are the only TV's which are truely flat - all the others have the curve on the inside of the screen.

I admit you pay over the odds on Sony gear but I think it's worth it - Had Sony gear for years, any other brand I've brought has packed in after a few years - my old walkman is still going after about 20 years!

My Wega KV32FQ75 was £1700 but the price has dropped to under a grand now. It isn't without it's faults though - had a serviceman out to fix an inherant problem to that model and it only has 1 RGB socket - other than that it's bliss - the DRC is fantastic (quadruples the resolution in realtime)
Old 06 July 2004, 01:41 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

messiah - RGB - thats a scart socket - right ?
I guess you can get scart adapters as I need more than 1 ?

Ro.
Old 06 July 2004, 01:46 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

there's 3 scarts on it but only 1 is RGB (Red Green Blue) enabled (best pic quality)

nothing wrong with the other 2 but sky and the dvd are constantly fighting over mine! Sky usually wins just becuase i watch it more than the dvd - sky on other scart is still great but you really notice the lack of an RGB signal when you've got the tv guide on - don't really notice it during regular watching - it's a small thing but it bugs the hell out of me!

Also the PS2 through s-video is terrific.

Weigh's a ton mind - I originally wanted the 36" but it was another £800, and besides the 32" had to be taken out of the box on the driveway to get it in the house... one things for sure - it'll never get nicked unless they steal the bay window as well...

Last edited by messiah; 06 July 2004 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06 July 2004, 01:48 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Ah I see - thanks for the info. Have to say its between the Wega & the Panasonic at the moment.
Old 06 July 2004, 02:02 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Originally Posted by messiah
Sony - IMHO anything else is a waste of money - and the Wega's are the only TV's which are truely flat - all the others have the curve on the inside of the screen.

I admit you pay over the odds on Sony gear but I think it's worth it - Had Sony gear for years, any other brand I've brought has packed in after a few years - my old walkman is still going after about 20 years!

My Wega KV32FQ75 was £1700 but the price has dropped to under a grand now. It isn't without it's faults though - had a serviceman out to fix an inherant problem to that model and it only has 1 RGB socket - other than that it's bliss - the DRC is fantastic (quadruples the resolution in realtime)
Another one sucked in by the advetising. It's been a few years since Sony stated that their TV's were truly flat. Open up a Panasonic "flat" screen and its just as flat on the inside as it is outside!!!

Check out some of the home cinema magazines What Home Cinema I think, and you will find that the Sony's Wega technology has been left behind by recent offerings from most manufacturers.

Check out a Philips with "Pixel-Plus" and the TX32 PD30 and they are much better than any Wega screen I've ever seen.

IMO of course

The Panasonic TX32 PD30 has 3 Scart points and has had excellent write-ups form all the leading magazines etc. Read-up on the back to back comparisons and you will see just how good the PD30 is. You can also get it for under £1000 at the moment which is an absolute bargain.

Forget Wega technology, it's a bit like an Audi TT. Yesterdays fashion accessory / technology
Old 06 July 2004, 02:05 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find most people have an affinity for a certain brand - with me it's Sony - it's nice to get other peoples opinions but when spending that much money you need to be sure it's right for you - I always buy a few magazines and read the reviews, then you get the faults as well as a list of features. My set is a NICAM only, which is fine by me as I have home cinema speakers and I bought the tv purely becuase it has a cracking picture - at the time it was the only telly to ever get 10/10 out of what hi fi.

Philips seem to be producing good tv's at the mo, but in my experience they're more trouble than they're worth - fiancee's parents bought one and regretted it ever since.
Old 06 July 2004, 02:16 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Have to say for it would be a Toshiba or a panasonic at this time.
Sony have been off the boil in TV's for years now they were market leaders but now they are an also ran imo.

Besides all the 100htz screens are made by Phillips any way or at least that was the case a few years ago.
Old 06 July 2004, 02:18 PM
Rob Walker
Scooby Regular

I was just about to buy this one... JVC AV32X4S http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/produc...AV32X4S&clear=
Anyone know if its any good?
2 rgb scarts & 100hz were what I was after..
Old 06 July 2004, 02:48 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

that particular model isnt listed on my what hi-fi - although the other 32" jvc's all appear to get 3/4 out of 5 stars.