Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Change of career - Automotive / Motorsport?

Search this Thread

Old 05 July 2004, 03:39 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Change of career - Automotive / Motorsport?

I think I'm hitting that point in life where a change of direction is needed to revitalise my enthusiasm for work

I've been working in the satellite communications industry for over ten years, and since leaving University, for a company designing and manfacturing equipment for the Inmarsat network (you may have seen the banners on the WRC). Over this period of time I have progressed well, to a highly respected principal engineers position. I have extensive experience in both the hardware and software domains of the companies products as well as a very good understanding of the system as a whole. The skills I do have would fit in very well within any other wireless telecommunications industry (e.g. mobile phone development). Sounds like a CV this

Anyway recently I seem to be doing less and less of the type of work I enjoy, specifically hands on type stuff, and more and more documentation and specification writing. This is beginning to **** me off . I want to get back to the technical side, designing and writing the software, and getting things to work / function. I used to get great satisfaction from seeing the software I wrote actually being used to establish telephone calls etc. via the satellite

Now where does the automotive / motorsport bit come in? Well I always fancied working in these sectors, even went for some job interviews (Fords etc.) when leaving University. Unfortunately at the time the automotive industry wasn't exactly boyant and there was a lot of competition for the few jobs there were. Hence I ended up in communications.

Have I left it too late to get into automotive? Would my telecoms skills be transferable and/or useful to an automotive company? I would love to be part of a motorsport development company (e.g. Prodrive ) or an F1 team so as to be at the cutting edge of automotive technology.

Just thought I would canvas some opinions off SN as I'm sure there are a few of you on here who have experience of / work in the motorsport industry.

Cheers,

Graz.
Old 05 July 2004, 05:22 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Graz,

Maybe worth you dropping Simon (Webmaster) an e-mail, he's involved in the technical side of the WRC and maybe able to give you some advice.

Cheers
Lee
Old 05 July 2004, 05:39 PM
deano
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz

Have I left it too late to get into automotive? Would my telecoms skills be transferable and/or useful to an automotive company?
You could try fitting car phones for Halfords ....

I reckon you should go for it, if you don't then in a years time you will look back and wish you had. It doesn't matter if you want to be an airline pilot or work in a kebab shop, happiness is what it's about.
Old 05 July 2004, 05:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

SatNav

Where's Re-Bitten Hero?
Old 05 July 2004, 07:30 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've been trying to get in the motorsports and/or automotive sector since, well day one of leaving uni. Ended doing all sorts EXCEPT what I wanted

Seems wherever I applied just fell on deaf ears, with my CV probably dumped straight in the bin without even being read

Most of the motorpsort career advice I ever got was the usual "do it as a hobby" and volenteer yourself down at your local race track etc. Although the nearest race track round here isn't exactly on a my door step! But that to me was the not the way to get in if your into the technical stuff, like me.

Automotive-wise well, most manufacturers (I assume you mean working for a manufacturer rather than dealers and garages) work on the usual contract system, first you get 3 months, and then renew it from that point onwards in 12, 18, or 24month contracts, depending if your any good/needed, which always leaves your future slightly questionable. Also many manufactures HR depts like to use recruitment agencies to source their staff, so it's a task of getting on to the books of the agenicies that deal with who you want to work for. There are loads of lesser known companies who do alot of development and manufacturing work for for the components of cars. INTIER (dash/instruments), Denso, AutoLiv (airbags) are few that spring to mind. It's just finding these companies that's the task here.

It's something I still want to go into, yet nothing fruitful yet. But I'll be keeping a watchful eye on this thread for any good pointers!

Good Luck anyway
Old 05 July 2004, 09:41 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deano
You could try fitting car phones for Halfords ....
Hmmmmm, don't think so somehow
Old 05 July 2004, 09:53 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice thus far chaps.

Guess I've got to get off my backside and start looking around / doing some research if I want some interesting work again.

I have thought about sending off speculative applications to the various motorsport and F1 outfits around the country. I do however fear that they get hundreds of applications a week from wannabes and most if not all end up in the bin. Still you can but try

At the end of the day I'm a competent programmer (C/C++/Asm), have good analytical and problem solving skills, good understanding of hardware, and a reasonable grasp of how cars work (I'm at it with the CV speak again ) Those skills have to be useful somewhere in the automotive sector.

Like you say it is worth considering the lesser known companies, in fact I like the idea of getting into ECU development.

Right must get my CV up to date

Graz
Old 06 July 2004, 01:25 AM
Andy S.
Scooby Senior

I have worked part time since 1994 as designer for a small racecar company, I still have not managed to go full time due to the lack of finances in the industy except for F1 and WRC. I have had job offers from 2 F1 teams but the pay and cost of living down in Motorsport valley would leave me virtually skint (+ the upheavel of moving the wife and 2 kids) . Having said that when you see something you have created compete in anger it is a feeling I cannot describe, and then to have something win and tack records takes it to a whole new level.
So even though I dont earn a great deal from my business it still is something even now 10years later on want to go full time into when the time is right.

As for Ecu programming there are lots out there a couple you might like to try are

MBE
DTA
Motec
Pectel
Actel

Or Datalogging

Stack
Pi
Motec

Do a search on the web for their addresses.

PS Good luck
Old 06 July 2004, 09:06 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Graz you have pm.