Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Telephone socket wiring quick q

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2004, 02:12 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Telephone socket wiring quick q

I just cant get my new AOL Broadband ADSL to work and wonder if it is the wiring in my phone socket in the bedroom. It was an extension installed by Telewest (shudder!) once. It has only two used wire connections, but the cable iself has four wires. I remember that one connection is 'anti-tinkle' or something, but bottom line is does this have any bearing on my 'no connection' ADSL modem [which plugs into socket goes via a filter]?

Cheers as I am fed up of continual ineffective 're-install' suggestions by AOL and the 30' each call takes.
Old 04 July 2004, 02:23 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I think you need 2 & 5 for the master and 2,3 & 5 for extensions. Check out this site to make sure yours is correct.

Assuming your wiring is correct, it might be worth trying a filter on the extension as well.
Chris
Old 04 July 2004, 02:53 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Yes, you only need 2 and 5 (and normally which way round does not matter) to work your adsl. You connect 3 for the ringer on secondary sockets, but for adsl it's not needed. Make sure that the extension is not working from an ADSL master which will have a filter already in it.
Also check your modem, is it a USB one taking power from the USB lead only? Some of these need extension powered USB adaptors to get enough voltage.
Old 04 July 2004, 06:09 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AFAIK, if a phone works, broadband will. And I take it a phone did work?

Next: what do you mean by "doesn't work" with the ADSL? Are you sure it has been activated? Are you using the filter(s) properly - the usual cause of problems? Are you using more than one filter in the house? Because if the line voltage is a bit low then two filters won't run. I have to run the phone line upstairs to the router, and then split it via the filter. The phone split is then split again, with one line to the upstairs socket and one going back downstairs to the main phone - all because I can't use two filters. Try setting everything up as if the upstairs phone was the only one and unplug the phone downstairs.

M
Old 04 July 2004, 07:48 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Data connections are also quite sensitive to interference. Check that the telephone extension cable isn't running in parallel with a mains power cable.

Chris
Old 04 July 2004, 11:00 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

At least its not wannadont!!!!!!!!!!!

im still waiting after 1 month and 3 failed install attempts....

so much for 10 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they have passed it to there manual connection team...

want to bet they fail too

Mart
Old 05 July 2004, 11:23 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Thanks a lot for the tips & advice guys - they all check out I'm afraid...

AOL 's continuing advice is to re-install modem drivers and AOL itself, so, I remain and on my 56K (and that 56K straight out the socket & ADSL filter upstairs...)

One last question to try to help - when they activated the ADSL at the exchange, would that immediately affect the existing phone? That is, would I have 'heard' a difference before I had got round to putting the filter in? Knowing this might confirm they actually HAVE activated it at the exchange (one AOL guy said they havent, 4 said they have...) Arghhhhh!!!! Wanna confuse me!!!!

D
Old 05 July 2004, 11:27 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

No, you cannot "hear" an ADSL line....

To rule out the extension, can you not just plug your PC into the master socket in the house?
Old 05 July 2004, 11:32 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

as imlach says just plug the PC in the main socket in the house then you'll know if its the extention or not, does your phone work when u plug it in the extension? the 2 wires going to pins 2 and 5 (tip and ring) should be blue/white and white/blue. the others are not needed

good luck
Old 05 July 2004, 11:51 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't necessarily go by the colour of the wires, some engineers don't stick to standard colour codes.
As far as hearing an ADSL line, the ADSL connection will cause interference on your phone line if you use it without the filter. But this may be only once you're logged in.
Old 05 July 2004, 12:04 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Cheers!

Sounds like next step is to unplug the PC and carry it all downstairs... What a pain!!!
Old 05 July 2004, 12:15 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Diesel- Wasn't necessarily going to mention this but seeing as you haven't done the obvious thing and tried it directly from the socket to rule out the extension then I will.

Have you plugged in the modem correctly, leads in, leads out etc? I know it sounds daft but I remember my case needed an additional cable despite me having the extension cable already to the pc.

The original extension cable was therefore obsolete, nothing like it actually read in the manual but something I heard at PC World of all places.

Sometimes the obvious is obscure.
Old 05 July 2004, 12:27 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Spoon I'll be cursing as I unplug the lot and hump it downstairs tonight mate! [I have to do it, but, you know, it's actually a 'proper' extension run up the side of the house that has served me well so far! This upstairs feed is from the junction box on the outside wall where the phone line comes in; none of these piggyback wobbly splitters stuffed in the downstairs phone socket and miles of cable under the carpet ]!
Old 05 July 2004, 12:42 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Diesel
Spoon I'll be cursing as I unplug the lot and hump it downstairs tonight mate! [I have to do it, but, you know, it's actually a 'proper' extension run up the side of the house that has served me well so far! This upstairs feed is from the junction box on the outside wall where the phone line comes in; none of these piggyback wobbly splitters stuffed in the downstairs phone socket and miles of cable under the carpet ]!
Ok, that clarifies that. So now are you saying the modem connection from the phone socket is the standard short length that they supply in the box?

p.s. I'm not sure it's good to let people know you hump your pc, upstairs or downstairs.
Old 05 July 2004, 01:07 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

>>are you saying the modem connection from the phone socket is the standard short length that they supply in the box?<<

YEP! This plugs into a filter which then plugs into the wall socket. Filter has two outputs - ADSL & standard. The 'standard' (non RJ11) outpot of the filter works fine for 56K dialup

Infuriating innit!

Humper

D
Old 06 July 2004, 06:05 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

The saga continues! 2 hours last night and they think I have dodgy USB ports; I dont! 500ma each! Arghhh!
Old 06 July 2004, 06:19 PM
krazy
Scooby Regular

What modem are u using? what are the lights doing... etc..
Could try a different microfilter, and/or try 2 borrow another model/router?
Old 06 July 2004, 06:48 PM
Cider boy
Scooby Regular

Do you have the filters on your phone sockets in the house??

My Broadband would not work till all the sockets had filters on them, even the ones that aren't connected to the broadband modem!!!!

Matt
Old 06 July 2004, 07:09 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

The saga continues! 2 hours last night and they think I have dodgy USB ports; I dont! 500ma each! Arghhh!
Yeah, but at what voltage?

Is your modem taking power from the USB or does it have an external power adaptor? I know the Fujitsu ADSL modems had a lot of problems because they took power via the USB connection.
Old 06 July 2004, 07:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Filter fitted on downstairs cordless & in upstairs' 'computer' phone socket. Tried each of the 3 filters I have in all sockets with nothing else connected. No change...

It's a BT 105 Voyager modem; only 'power' lamp glows. Powered only from USB; takes the max 500ma avail. Tried it in both avail USB sockets, with/with out optical 100ma USB mouse connected. No change...

CLUE? : Buzz on phone line (read help line ) dissapears when computer switched off or modem usb plug removed...

CLUE? : Always same error 676 'line busy' when trying to connect. This is the same whether the ADSL cable is connected to modem or NOT. Does it suggest PC is not talking to modem properly? Surely it should say 'no dial tone' type thing?

IT guys at work says load the BT Driver instead of the AOL/BT driver...

Hey ho & thanks for your help!
Old 07 July 2004, 11:30 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

It's a BT 105 Voyager modem; only 'power' lamp glows. Powered only from USB; takes the max 500ma avail. Tried it in both avail USB sockets, with/with out optical 100ma USB mouse connected. No change...
I'd still try an externally powered USB hub or borrow a different modem from a mate just to be sure.
Old 07 July 2004, 11:50 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I think I'm right in saying that on most modems the "ADSL" light (or equivalent) should also light up as soon as the modem is receiving power and is plugged into an ADSL active phoneline. Does your modem have any other lights other than power?

Have AOL confirmed that ADSL has been activated? This is the most common reason it won't work!

Failing that then try the BT driver install option. I have seen weird error messages like this before and normally a re-install fixes it (but not in your case evidently!)

Edited to add: try one more re-install first but this time, whilst the modem is still connected, go into Device Manager and delete the modem in there. Then unplug the modem, restart the PC and run the install again.

Last edited by ajm; 07 July 2004 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07 July 2004, 05:29 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ajm
I think I'm right in saying that on most modems the "ADSL" light (or equivalent) should also light up as soon as the modem is receiving power and is plugged into an ADSL active phoneline
Might take up to a minute, with a few flickers before it is steady.

M
Old 07 July 2004, 05:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Called BT direct and blagged them to talk to me! They say ADSL is up & have tested the line OK (but they cant test the ADSL bit of the line...)

I'll do the BT (non AOL) driver tonight. Where is "Device Manager "? I use 'add remove software to unisntall'...

Am also blagging an ext powered USB hub & a wanadoo modem to see if I can get anything but the power light to glow!

Thanks for your continued help!!!

D
Old 08 July 2004, 07:10 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

No luck using BT software drivers... No one has USB hub or spare modem for me to borrow... This is driving me mental!!!!
Old 19 July 2004, 01:42 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

And so...

Finally get a BT engineer out...

He goes to the exchange and puts the DSL jumper in and it now works.

BEYOND maddening . I must have spent 20 hours on the phone to AOL and even called BT up direct to check that they had actually enabled DSL...:
Old 19 July 2004, 01:49 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

BEYOND maddening . I must have spent 20 hours on the phone to AOL and even called BT up direct to check that they had actually enabled DSL...:
LOL! Like I said, not enabling ADSL on the line is the most common problem!

Glad you got it sorted now though!