Question What does TVR stand for?

As per title - just curious !!
Old 03 July 2004, 09:24 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarvSTi5
As per title - just curious !!
Most probable to do with Trevor Wilkinson. The founder/owner?

Damo
Old 03 July 2004, 09:30 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by damian666
Most probable to do with Trevor Wilkinson. The founder/owner?

Damo
Yes you are spot on its derrived from the name TreVoR
Old 03 July 2004, 09:35 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Tequila Vodka Redbull

very fast way to end up on your *** if you drink enough :P
Old 03 July 2004, 09:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagine ......... hey, babe - I drive a 'TreVoR'

Babe, 'Where is it?'

Bloke, 'Well, its in the garage getting fixed - where it spends 99% of its time!'

Pete
Old 03 July 2004, 09:55 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

Try looking on Google Petey - dont waste what valuable time you have left waiting for a reply on here
Old 03 July 2004, 09:58 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Imagine ......... hey, babe - I drive a 'TreVoR'

Babe, 'Where is it?'

Bloke, 'Well, its in the garage getting fixed - where it spends 99% of its time!'

Pete
Imagine ......... hey, babe - I drive an 'MX-5'

Babe, 'Where is it?'

Bloke, 'Well, its outside the Blue Oyster Club - where i spend 99% of my time!'
Old 03 July 2004, 10:25 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

She wouldn't care, as I was clearly in touch with my feminine side!

Those with a poxy, fault ridden TreVoR on the other hand - just look REALLY stupid!!

I mean, does an intelligent person buy something that doesn't work properly?? AND eveyone KNOWS it doesn't?? NO THEY DON'T!!

Game, set and match to the hairdresser in the MX5 I reckon! as it overtakes the TVR stood waiting for the AA man!! AGAIN!!

Pete
Old 03 July 2004, 10:33 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Have you driven a TVR? It's kind of like a grown up MX5, IMHO (I've driven one of those too). But not as reliable, obviously
Old 03 July 2004, 10:46 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm sure they are great when they are actually running - its just at my age you don't want to be arsing about with things that don't work!

Way back when, when I worked on cars and loved doing so - Alfas didn't scare me, neither Jags and stuff ...... but now, its all Japanese machinery for me ....

Call me old fashioned, but I just like it to do what it says on the tin - sadly, TVR's leave you with an empty, cheated, feeling!

Pete
Old 04 July 2004, 11:31 AM
dicky ticker
Scooby Regular

perfect timing for this thread.

was contemplating a tuscan for my next car

but Trouble Very Regular may take the shine of ownership.especially as it will be my only car.

cheers

colin
Old 04 July 2004, 11:52 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

dicky ticker- Talk to people more informed than you have up to now about any "real" problems and not just "old" pub talk before you make you mind up.

I know Tiggs from here had reliability issues with his Chimera I believe, but I also know people who haven't.

I ran a Tuscan for 4 years with no reliability problems, a few bodywork problems though, like corners falling off, dinged rims etc, oh but it was a race car.

Talk to the owners.
Old 04 July 2004, 01:13 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if i fitted in one id have an MX5....i certainly wouldnt have a TVR again. Its a shame that most soft tops are tiny and the TVR was one of the few i fitted in........the Z4 is also big inside but wasnt around when i got the TVR- i'll be getting one in the winter when 2nd hand prices drop a little.

T
Old 09 July 2004, 08:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Talk to the owners?

I do!!

What they tell me is, - great car - when its running ...... which it rarely does for more than a few days at a time without stuff falling off or running gear going south!

Pete
Old 09 July 2004, 09:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Talk to the owners?

I do!!

What they tell me is, - great car - when its running ...... which it rarely does for more than a few days at a time without stuff falling off or running gear going south!

Pete
Who was talking to you? It was directed at dicky ticker not somebody who drives a bloódy underpowered/sized póncy MX5.

How on earth the 2 cars can be mentioned in the same sentence is beyond me.

Now go and change your inco-pad.
Old 10 July 2004, 10:47 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

The reason why they are mentioned in the same breath is simple ..... its taking two opposites as a comparison.

One of the sports cars actually goes on forever, the other struggles to make it to the end of the road .......

Its the old British motorbike tale all over again, how did it go again? Oh, yes, "Everyone will carry on buying the British bike because the buyers WANT oil on their driveways, they WANT to work on it all the time, they don't want some jumped-up Japanese article that does the job better and actually delivers!'

Result? British motorbikes were no more!

People want a car thats going to deliver time and again, not one thats got BalsaWood build quality ......... sorry, but the MX5 beats the Trevor hands down in all the important departments!

Pete
Old 10 July 2004, 10:52 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

You can take the T and the V out of reliable but you cant put the reliable in the TVR
Old 10 July 2004, 09:47 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

sorry, but the MX5 beats the Trevor hands down in all the important departments!
Pete
The important departments to you maybe. Power and presence are more important to me when choosing a car in that department.

The MX5 is a girls car from any angle, toyish looks, pónces power. I cringe when people refer to it as a sports car.

I would feel utterly embarrassed as a bloke to own and drive an MX5.

Each to their own though I guess.
Old 10 July 2004, 10:01 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hello

It's TELEVIZIUNEA ROMANA apparently...

http://www.tvr.ro/

And I was going to buy a Tuscan -- it's one scary car!

Steve.
Old 10 July 2004, 10:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon

I would feel utterly embarrassed as a bloke to own and drive an MX5.
Thats because you are very uneasy with your masculinity, when you grow up (I would guess from your insecure comments you are still a teenie) you will grow into a real man that drives anything he likes WITHOUT wondering if others see him as a poofta!

The MX5 is one damned fine car - fun, reliable, chuckable ..... and it goes on forever! Unlike a £36k Trevor which struggles with the concept of long life -

I think the TVR owner looks more of a plonker stood next to his smoking, oil spewing wreck thats waiting for the breakdown vehicle, than a bloke whizzing by in his MX5! Why? Well, the TVR owner actually bought a TVR when EVERYONE knows they have all the engineering sophistication of a 1920's mangle! - that makes him the most stupid out the two - agree?

Pete
Old 11 July 2004, 10:53 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...109680&f=6&h=0
Old 11 July 2004, 11:34 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Thats because you are very uneasy with your masculinity, when you grow up (I would guess from your insecure comments you are still a teenie) you will grow into a real man that drives anything he likes WITHOUT wondering if others see him as a poofta!
No, it's because I am a proper grown up that I can distinguish between good, bad and completely wet. As for your teenie comment it just goes to show how well you can't assertain such things.

The MX5 is one damned fine car - fun, reliable, chuckable ..... and it goes on forever! Unlike a £36k Trevor which struggles with the concept of long life -
It's a girls car from my perspective, if you like it then fine, I simply think you are lacking knowledge in what a sports car is, that's all. If you have got to your age and arrived at a MX5 then I reckon you certainly haven't acheived a great deal in the owning of decent cars.

Of course that may not be of importance to you, certainly the MX5 bears that out, but remember unless you've owned a *proper* sports car regardless of it's reliability, then you can hardly comment on an overall package. A powerful TVR would make you smile and is certainly challenging to drive, an MX5 would aid constipation and can be driven by a drunk leper.
I think the TVR owner looks more of a plonker stood next to his smoking, oil spewing wreck thats waiting for the breakdown vehicle, than a bloke whizzing by in his MX5! Why? Well, the TVR owner actually bought a TVR when EVERYONE knows they have all the engineering sophistication of a 1920's mangle! - that makes him the most stupid out the two - agree?
Pete
Reality here for a moment old boy, how many TVR cars have you seen stranded at the roadside? It's so easy to quote the jealous ill-informed pub talk that is rife.
Personally any car stranded at the roadside gets my utmost sympathy and if I can, I will help, regardless of it's make. To me they don't look like "plonkers", they look like there car has let them down. Maybe that shows that your maturity isn't relative to your age, it strongly indicates that anyway?

The 1920's engineering statement doesn't even require a response apart from the usual, " get me a guinness whilst you're at the bar please".

Oh and don't take offence because I think of you as a old pónce, after all it's your choice to portray that image.
Old 11 July 2004, 12:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Oh dear - is this your rattle here beside your pram??

You have no idea what cars I have owned in my long life! Maybe, just maybe, the MX5 IS the best?? At your tender age of, what? 19? I can't possibly expect you to have had the experiences of life to assemble an effective debate ..... so, I will not allow myself to destroy your illusions of the 'Trevor'

I will allow you the illusion that the TVR - despite all the evidence to the contrary - IS actually one of the most reliable of cars ever built! titter, titter.

Pete
Old 11 July 2004, 05:32 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Oh dear - is this your rattle here beside your pram??

You have no idea what cars I have owned in my long life! Maybe, just maybe, the MX5 IS the best?? At your tender age of, what? 19? I can't possibly expect you to have had the experiences of life to assemble an effective debate ..... so, I will not allow myself to destroy your illusions of the 'Trevor'

I will allow you the illusion that the TVR - despite all the evidence to the contrary - IS actually one of the most reliable of cars ever built! titter, titter.

Pete
You're wrong in saying I have no idea what cars you have owned in your life simply because had you owned anything decent you wouldn't be running a MX5, that's obvious to anybody who has owned a proper sportscar.

Where you imagined my age is anyone's guess but I can assure you that you are wrong (see the pattern?), as for experiences, well, you wouldn't believe.

You couldn't destroy any illusion you think I might have about the TVR because I've owned one of the quickest built. I noticed you couldn't back up your assumptions with fact either, but then wafflers never can.

I certainly can't remember saying they were the most reliable cars but what I did say was they are *real* sportscars not girls skates.

I'd always be interested to hear what cars you have owned to allow you to think the MX5 is for real. Maybe you could email me with a list, I'm always up for a good read, me.

Try replying with fact and without repeating yourself, I know that's a sign of old age but maybe you could get somebody to proof read it before you press send.
Old 11 July 2004, 09:26 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

One tires of teenagers eventually

Go and finish off your model Trevor - come back when you mature a little

Pete
Old 11 July 2004, 10:09 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

One tires of teenagers eventually

Go and finish off your model Trevor - come back when you mature a little

Pete
I would have expected better but I'll accept you can't manage it.

What is it with weak personalities once they've run out of wind?

I look forward to your email.

Edited due to 2 minor mistakes but hardly typical of the texting culture.

I'd also say that has set pslewis up a treat now too.

Also what better way than to look elsewhere for a fault rather than to concentrate on the thread in hand if it's not going your way at all, hey old man?

Last edited by Spoon; 12 July 2004 at 10:10 AM.
Old 11 July 2004, 10:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
I would have expected better but I'll except you can't manage it.

What is it with weak personalities once they've ran out of wind?

I look forward to your email.
Why are teenagers not able to spell and develop a grammar correct sentence, is it to do with texting??

Anyway, to help you out a little:-
I would have expected better but I'll except you can't manage it.
SHOULD read:-
I would have expected better but I'll ACCEPT you can't manage it.
AND:-
What is it with weak personalities once they've ran out of wind?
SHOULD read:-
What is it with weak personalities once they've RUN out of wind?

Hope you don't mind an English lesson from your superior?

Pete
Old 11 July 2004, 10:39 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Look, pslewis, I've driven both. Despite what everyone else says about "hairdressers' cars" the MX-5 is a good laugh, easy to drive on the throttle and reliable. The pundits reckon it's an ideal first RWD car. TVRs, however, despite being a little lacking in the reliability department, are:
a) ludicrously fast -- mine will do 185-190mph, 0-100 in about 9.
b) seriously good looking -- classic "British sports car" styling.
You should remember that an MX-5 is just a reliable Lotus Elan. I respect the MX-5 because it's a good RWD sportscar -- lacking in power, but good with the handling. Conversely, you shouldn't disrespect TVRs -- plenty of grunt, brutal handling, lacking reliability (although that depends if you get a good'un). But it demands a lot more concentration to drive than an MX-5 because it's a lot less forgiving, and is usually travelling faster when it lets go.

TBH I have a love/hate relationship with mine. Often I think I'll get rid of it next week, and then I think I'll keep it forever.

You should also note that a lot of cars that are "worth owning" are unreliable -- Ferraris, Maseratis, Astons, Lamborghinis, Bentleys, etc.

Last edited by carl; 11 July 2004 at 10:42 PM.