Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Low flying aircraft - what can you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2004, 11:34 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Low flying aircraft - what can you do?

I live miles from any airport, not on any flightpath.

Birmingham airport is about 20miles, and Bobbington (small light aircaft airfield) about 10miles.

The planes from Birmingham normally fly over in the distance very high in the sky. Yet we get the odd one in bad weather so low you can see which airline it is, as we aren't on a flight path it makes me wonder why TF they are going so low and so far away from the runway, and they seem to be on an approach (but to be flying in the wrong direction ).

Now this, apart from the noise, is of not too much concern, as it's once in a blue moon, and it's not over my house, but thought I'd mention it.

My main concern is with light aircraft (cesnas etc.) and helicoptors from Bobbinton. As I said before we are on no flight path. Yet increasingly we have to endure hobby flyers doing acrobatics and circling round and round over our house, flying at what I would consider a dangerously low hieght. The last thing I want is some idiot messing around to stall and crash into my house. Do it over a field - there's plenty of them, not do it over residential areas FFS

Some fly at levels where I can read the numbers off the underside of the wings.

So, what can I do about it? Especially the latter.. Is there a minimum height for comercial air liners and private craft when above a certain distance from an airport? Who do I complain to? And is there anything likely to be done about it?

Any wisdom of the rules and regulations in this area would be very handy, thanks
Old 01 July 2004, 11:39 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pilot is probably drunk and trying to land on the dual carriageway near your house

(go check out the story of the passenger aircraft that landed at the wrong airport in the USA - they landed on a military base by accident)
Old 01 July 2004, 11:43 PM
MarvSTi5
Scooby Regular

Rapier missiles work well but the aftermath ............... maybe not eh
Old 01 July 2004, 11:53 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Here's a start.

Doug
Old 01 July 2004, 11:59 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

must say ive been tempted to aim a rocket launcher at the 'copters that buzz over the marina here brighton ( seeing which bit they can build on next) ...dont know what id happen if they saw yer ..suspect the 'authorities' would be alerted and find oneself dragged away to uncertain punishment
Old 02 July 2004, 02:19 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Smile

If any of these buggers come flying over let me know

Old 02 July 2004, 08:56 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

LOL@Dazza.......should be in our house sometimes when the police helicopter is around, bloody thing flies around for a couple of hours in the middle of the night with the seach light on.......GITS!!!!!!!
Old 02 July 2004, 09:02 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Wave your fist at the plane as it flies by shouting "ya noisy coooont"!!
Old 02 July 2004, 09:06 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I would contact the aerodrome and ask them if they have a defined training circuit route. I used to work at a small airfield and as part of the noise abatement we had to publish a training circuit route (in our case a figure 8 using prominant landmarks as turning points) that took them over the least amount of houses.
Old 02 July 2004, 09:14 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Black Widow Catapult and some small pebbles should do the trick - depends on the size of the plane - They look massive when theyre on the ground, but so tiny when theyre in the air?
Old 02 July 2004, 09:37 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

a big net?
Old 02 July 2004, 09:53 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Duck.
Old 02 July 2004, 09:56 AM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Or a swan but that can get a bit messy
Old 02 July 2004, 10:04 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

We get Apache Attack helicopters cruising over our house in pairs - I don't fancy lobbing anything at them so I just carry on with my gardening & ignore them...
Old 02 July 2004, 10:13 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Come and join us I say. It's great fun from the sky to pick on a target and dive towards it!

Not big or clever but fun.

p.s Ali- Wave back next time.
Old 02 July 2004, 10:23 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
We get Apache Attack helicopters cruising over our house in pairs - I don't fancy lobbing anything at them so I just carry on with my gardening & ignore them...

We get loads of stuff hovering around in Belfast - when some git decides to have a low pass in a Chinook you think the roof is comping in.

Try a kite with a really really really long bit of string
Old 02 July 2004, 10:30 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

If you haven't already, ring the airfield where you think they are coming from and ask them to ask people not to do aero's over where you live. We get such calls at one of the places I fly from, and I'm quite happy, along with others to avoid such area's. If indded you can get the registration number(s), provide those as well.
Old 02 July 2004, 10:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Doug,

Had a quick look through te site, but can't find a specific procedure to complain about low flying private aircraft, I'll probably have to phone.

How high is 1500ft? Got a tape measure? For now I'll just have to go to BOC and get some more Helium for my barrage balloons

We also get the Chinooks fly past from Cosford, but they usually fly above cloud level a few miles away over the fields (like everyone else should). Still can hear the noise from them, can immediately tell it's a Chinook just from the noise.

Pork choppers are a bit of a problem too, I'm sure they are trying to home in on my tracker But they are excempt from the rules (typically).
Old 02 July 2004, 10:49 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ^Qwerty^
If you haven't already, ring the airfield where you think they are coming from and ask them to ask people not to do aero's over where you live. We get such calls at one of the places I fly from, and I'm quite happy, along with others to avoid such area's. If indeed you can get the registration number(s), provide those as well.
Yes and before long flying will be impossible, just like most things are today due to the amount of power whingers have.

Ali- Just made me think back to your Land Rover. Not exactly neighbourhood friendly is it?
Old 02 July 2004, 10:52 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Elect Krusty the clown as your congressman and get him to sort it out
Old 02 July 2004, 11:05 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Spoon
Yes and before long flying will be impossible, just like most things are today due to the amount of power whingers have.

Ali- Just made me think back to your Land Rover. Not exactly neighbourhood friendly is it?
Well your wrong ...it rarely been in my neighbourhood - too muddy (well ok 5 times in 2 years to do a tip run). It gets kept in the lock up on an industrial estate away from the moaners who live next door. And it burbles along fairly quietly at 1500rpm anyway.

Anyway you missed the point my friend....I'm not complaining about the noise. (if I were, the silver Rover 416 that drives past 8 times a day would have expanding foam squirted up his exhaust ).

It's the safety aspect, flying too low over dense populated areas, sometimes flying so low and slow that I'm amazed they stay up in the sky. The point being other peoples lives are potentially being risked by somebody's ingnorant and selfish actions. There are plenty of fields to fly at 500ft over - go and fly over them not in my garden! As what Doug posted on the abbreviated Rule 5 they are breeching regulations
Old 02 July 2004, 11:31 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Well your wrong ...it rarely been in my neighbourhood - too muddy (well ok 5 times in 2 years to do a tip run). It gets kept in the lock up on an industrial estate away from the moaners who live next door. And it burbles along fairly quietly at 1500rpm anyway.
See, even you can justify using it for your pleasure.
Anyway you missed the point my friend....I'm not complaining about the noise. (if I were, the silver Rover 416 that drives past 8 times a day would have expanding foam squirted up his exhaust ).

It's the safety aspect, flying too low over dense populated areas, sometimes flying so low and slow that I'm amazed they stay up in the sky. The point being other peoples lives are potentially being risked by somebody's ingnorant and selfish actions. There are plenty of fields to fly at 500ft over - go and fly over them not in my garden! As what Doug posted on the abbreviated Rule 5 they are breeching regulations
No I never missed the point, I clearly read your post which did include a concern over noise, not a major one, but a concern nonetheless.

My reason for mentioning your LR wasn't the noise anyway. It was, as you've proved in your first quote above just a reason why people might whinge even when you might not think it warrants one.

You've tried to justify your noisy LR, others might look at it as a nuisance.

You don't like the planes above you, the pilots might think you are moaning for no reason, it goes on.

I understand your safety concerns especially if there is an alternative nearby.

Remember though, whinging at a young age will only make you old and bitter.
Old 02 July 2004, 01:09 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

whatever
Old 02 July 2004, 01:13 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Nice that you could make it back, albeit late.

Were you out campaigning for speed humps on your local runway at all?
Old 02 July 2004, 01:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Sorry, just got off a lengthy yet completly wasted phone call to Powergen

I won't post a response, because it's Lunch time
Old 02 July 2004, 01:26 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Sorry, just got off a lengthy yet completly wasted phone call to Powergen

I won't post a response, because it's Lunch time
First of all, dump Powergen, they are dear now since their recent price hikes.

Secondly, I'll allow you lunch, although I have my butler bring mine to me and can still manage to participate, so why I allow you leniency I don't know, except I understand the young tire easily.

Last edited by Spoon; 02 July 2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02 July 2004, 01:31 PM
MadMark
Scooby Regular

A few RPG's should warn 'em off
Old 02 July 2004, 03:28 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Provided that it's only a matter of safety that you're bothered about then it's extremely unlikely that any of the aircraft are flying at an altitude that's likely to endanger anyone on the ground. I know they can look close but it's notoriously difficult to accurately judge distance and speed on the ground, let alone in the air.

The 500ft rule that you refer to is sacrosanct and rarely infringed but you can fly over built up areas provided that you can land clear, otherwise you must adhere to an altitude of 1500ft above the highest fixed object within 600 metres, whichever is higher. A good example of this would be flying over the eastern side of London using Thames radar - perfectly safe provided you can land clear.

You also have to bear in mind that GAs such as a Katana have a glide to height ratio of around 7:1 so even in the event of a catastrophic engine failure the pilot still has 3500ft to sort things out and land clear.

I can't find Bobbington in Pooleys - does it go by another name? If you can find one or at least tell me where it's close to I'll check what the procedures are for joining or PM me your town/village as there may be a VOR that aircraft are using for navigation - hence the circling in the overhead.

As for the aerobatics it's unlikely to occur anywhere near a built up area (outside of an airshow) and and practice stalls will be above 3000ft so not within the heights you are talking about.

Quick Reply: Low flying aircraft - what can you do?