Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should we ban smoking in public places.

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2004, 03:06 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should we ban smoking in public places.

Labour is considering introducing a ban on smoking in public places if they win the next election, a report suggests.

Personally I dont mind either way but do would go with a ban on smoking in eating areas. Think a lot comes down to smokers ignorance of just how rude they can be when lighting up next to someone who is eating.

Chip.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:06 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Yes.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:09 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Indoors - yes.

Outdoors - no.

IMO.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:10 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Hopefully I'm not a typical ex-smoker (gave up 6 months ago ) but I agree about eating places. Fav restaurant now we go in and say "No Smoking" with a smile. Actually twice eaten now at the same table we were sat at when I was smoking .

Live & let live for most part but I think there should defo be segregated smoking/non smoking areas so both have a choice.

Did I mention I'd gone 6 months plus?
Old 30 June 2004, 03:12 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Yes (and I like the odd smoke before I am attacked by the anti no-smokers brigade on grounds of freedom!)
Old 30 June 2004, 03:19 PM
foamy
Scooby Regular

You mean Labour think they're going to win the next election Should that miracle happen then, yes, I'd like to see smoking banned in pubs and clubs etc.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:25 PM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

I'm a smoker, but yes, it's a good idea.

Nothing new, in my country this law exists for 5 years now.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:26 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Ban everything I say. Sorted
Old 30 June 2004, 03:26 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foamy
You mean Labour think they're going to win the next election Should that miracle happen then, yes, I'd like to see smoking banned in pubs and clubs etc.

Labour will win the next election. People are generally too thick to vote for the Conservatives.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:28 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Nothing new, in my country this law exists for 5 years now.
Surely not in Holland!!!!!
Old 30 June 2004, 03:31 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
Indoors - yes.

Outdoors - no.

IMO.
agreed

dont think there'd be a call to ban it if more smokers were more considerate towards the none smokers.... none smokers would only vote for it too be banned if it annoyed them, it'll only annoy them if smokers dont consider them when lighting up so either way if it does get banned its only the majority of the smokers who are to blame

Dave
Old 30 June 2004, 03:34 PM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

Jye, Belgium.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:35 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Only ban smoking in public places if fat people are banned also...
Old 30 June 2004, 03:37 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Jye, Belgium.
<Wipes cold sweat from brow and starts planning amsterdam trip again>
Old 30 June 2004, 03:40 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

What about gingers?
Old 30 June 2004, 03:41 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
I quit smoking but I am fat but on a diet so can I come back when I'm thin again???

Weightist!

Edit: Yep gingers defo should be banned!
Old 30 June 2004, 03:41 PM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

Pubs/bars are not considered "public places". Yet. It's more official public places, like train stations, airports, government buildings, schools etc...

So don't worry, you can enjoy your spliff on the way back to Calais
Old 30 June 2004, 03:43 PM
Megaz
Scooby Regular

Ban smoking everywhere
Old 30 June 2004, 03:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Megaz
Ban smoking everywhere
Ban Smoking Full Stop
Old 30 June 2004, 03:48 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Crozier

Labour - party for peasants.

Conservative - party for well being English citizens.

Safe Conservative seat - Woking, Surrey.

Safe Labour seat - most of the North of England and w&nk-holes like Brixton.

Any more silly faces??
Old 30 June 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome

lol. Fat people should be taxed more cos they take up more room.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:54 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...144810,00.html
Old 30 June 2004, 03:56 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Who said "smoking is the only pleasure that council house tenants have left" a week or so ago??

He was wrong!! He forgot tattoo's and swearing at small children.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:58 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Who said "smoking is the only pleasure that council house tenants have left" a week or so ago??

Think it was Dr John Reid , the ex-smoking, alcoholic health minister.

Chip.
Old 30 June 2004, 03:59 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Labour to ban public smoking

Patrick Wintour, chief political correspondent
Wednesday June 30, 2004
The Guardian

A ban on smoking in public places along the lines of restrictions in Ireland will form part of Labour's third term manifesto, according to draft policy documents to be presented to Labour's policy forum.

It is the first official indication that the party has swung behind a ban, even though the health secretary, John Reid, is sceptical.

In Ireland it has been illegal to smoke in bars and most other public places since March this year.

The third term Labour agenda, passed to the Guardian and due to be published later in the summer, focuses on restrictions on binge drinking, irresponsible pubs and unscrupulous food marketing.

The document, the result of consultation involving ministers and party members, will set the themes for Labour's general election manifesto.

The papers herald police reforms, including new democratic controls over the police and greater involvement in policing by volunteers.

But it is the focus on smoking that is likely to attract attention in the run-up to the election, expected next year. "The need to protect young people and children is seen as of paramount importance," the papers conclude.

The wording suggests the government has only to decide whether restrictions on public smoking should be imposed by local councils or national government. Sustained and above-inflation tax increases levied on tobacco products were viewed as the minimum the government should be doing to restrict consumption. Yesterday, calls for a ban on smoking in bars and restaurants gained weight with the publication of evidence sug gesting that the risks of heart disease faced by passive smokers are double what was previously estimated.

Previous research had found that passive smoking is linked with a 25-30% increased risk of coronary heart disease. But the latest study, published on bmj.com, found that non-smokers faced a 50-60% increased risk. The study focused on 4,792 men from 18 British towns who were monitored for 20 years.

The three lengthy papers, finalised in the past week and the first reflection of Labour's Big Conversation events, will be debated by the party's pol icy forum next month. They are bound to cause tensions with affiliated unions because of their endorsement of the private finance initiative (PFI) and refusal to back compulsory employer savings for pensions, two key union demands.

The papers suggest PFI investment has delivered more than 6,000 public facilities including 34 hospitals and more than 200 new and refurbished schools.

The government, they say, "is investigating new areas where PFI could offer value for money such as the management of the existing prisons estate, urban regeneration, waste management and new application in social housing".

PFI is only used when it offers value for money and is not offered "at the expense of terms and conditions _ Evidence to date suggests PFI is appropriate where there are major and complex capital projects with significant ongoing maintenance requirements".

Promising a review of the liberalising Licensing Act, one paper suggests: "If voluntary measures fail, licensed outlets will be required to make some financial contribution to the costs of policing town centres and tackling the costs of alcohol misuse."

It also says "the government will reserve the right to review advertising guidelines or impose a statutory levy or legislation on the drinks industry if it fails to live up to its responsibilities".

The papers state: "Britain suffers from binge drinking, heavy consumption over a short period of time. Its effects on families and communities were a top issue at Big Conversation events ... the binge drinking culture means that many areas particularly on Friday and Saturday evenings are no-go areas for families and older people."

On obesity, with a white paper due in the summer, the papers say it is essential to have "further consumer information through both marketing and labelling if we are to raise the quality of the nation's diet".

They propose a reward system for pupils to encourage them to make healthy food choices. Party members are calling for restrictions, the papers reveal, and "perhaps even an outright ban on these adverts if the evidence shows that such actions would help to make children healthier".

Old 30 June 2004, 03:59 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Think it was Dr John Reid , the ex-smoking, alcoholic health minister.

Chip.

Probably a **** but still funny as hell.
Old 30 June 2004, 04:06 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I would like to see smoking completely banned in restuarants etc, but not too sure about in pubs and clubs etc. If it happens then fine as I'm not a big smoker and only really smoke when on a night out - pack of 20 last a week if not more.

Have to say though, all this anti-smoking stuff spouted by the government would suggest they have an idea where to get the £2billion they'd lose if everyone stopped smoking. "Oh no, you musn't smoke but thanks for the cash Mr Voter"

Isn't it £9b in revenue and an NHS smoking cost of £7b?
Old 30 June 2004, 04:12 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

You are both wrong.

There are some areas of the UK that have decent council estates. I agree the likes of Sheffield's Manor Estate and some inner city housing is poor but that doesn't mean all council estate's are occupied by low life.

I travell through many estates and know people who live on them, most town council estates now have a high proportion of houses in the private sector with properties well over £100k, in some areas it's as high as 80% owner owned. Houses and gardens are usually well kept and the drives are occupied with expensive machinery, even the odd Scoob.
A friend off mine owns a Landscaping and Garden Maintenance company most of his work is for private owners on "Council Estates"
Anyone who believes all council tenants are on the dole and of the same intelligance and class as those scum on TV just show their own ignorance.

As for smoking,

The ban can't come soon enough.
Old 30 June 2004, 04:12 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jason Crozier
I take it you vote Labour.
Old 30 June 2004, 04:14 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
You are both wrong.

There are some areas of the UK that have decent council estates. I agree the likes of Sheffield's Manor Estate and some inner city housing is poor but that doesn't mean all council estate's are occupied by low life.

I travell through many estates and know people who live on them, most town council estates now have a high proportion of houses in the private sector with properties well over £100k, in some areas it's as high as 80% owner owned. Houses and gardens are usually well kept and the drives are occupied with expensive machinery, even the odd Scoob.
A friend off mine owns a Landscaping and Garden Maintenance company most of his work is for private owners on "Council Estates"
Anyone who believes all council tenants are on the dole and of the same intelligance and class as those scum on TV just show their own ignorance.

As for smoking,

The ban can't come soon enough.
Was a jokje about the council estate thing. I'm not so shallow as to term all 'councilites' as underclass. My girlfriends parents used to live in a council estate. I'm kinda just taking the **** cos it is still funny what he said if not rather contentious!!!

Quick Reply: Should we ban smoking in public places.