Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New level of laziness?

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 09:57 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New level of laziness?

Now I know a lot of folk are too lazy to go and get a job, but some people are taking this to a new extreme

A bloke that is living with my son in law is so lazy that he can't even be bothered to sign on! He just sits in the room all day doing nothing, sponging off my son in law (who is sponging off the tax payers)
Christ, If they had to work at breathing they would all be dead by now.

Bring back national service I say, give these layabouts something to worry about.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:14 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

people should have to do community service to get dole money.
breaking up rocks or weaving baskets or sweeping leaves in winter.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:17 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is the generations that this country is creating, it will get worse.

The fact is some people like to live the life of riley, and some think (including me) if you don't want or like doing the job that you can get - then why bother if your hearts not in it? It splits off from this; those who accept it and just get on with it and those who say sod it and try and find somthing they really want to do. After some half hearted searching, they realise that there is no job "that they want to do" out there. So would prefer to sot on their ***** all day.

Not signing on is probably due to the Job centre trying to press any old job on to them.

Who do we blame? Education - colleges and universities not offering courses closely tied in with the associated careers. Buisnesses - using a "work till they drop" attitude, high stress and mind numbing hours, with little rewards to reap except a pay packet. And the government for covering over true unemployment problems and statistics. Saying there are more people in jobs now than before and claiming they need immigration to support businesses demand for more workers. When the truth is Businesses want cheap "do as I say - plenty of you where you came from" workers, the queue outside the Job centre confirms nothing has changed.

This country is so work orientated with such high demands and stress that people lives in terms of social and families are affected. I can't be the only person who thinks that I'll spend most of my life working, so why should I spend my life doing something I hate? Many think the same and will try to do something about it, others will give up and not bother working. It's not a simple case of rounding up all the lazy unemployed and tell them to do this job, because they won't, they'll only do what they want.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:21 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

True, they will only do what they want - because we let them.

If the choice was starve or work (as in many countries) they might get off their ***** and do something.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

That is true, which is why this goverments policy of take from the rich and give to the poor will never work.

They'll just hold out their hands for more.

Poeple should reap what they sow, not have it taken from them to give it to those who don't. It's a tough attitude, but that's life.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:38 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Cut benefits down to the very bare means for those who choose not to work. At the moment they get (I think) 50 quid a week cash. Why not replace this with £10 cash and the rest in food / necessity vouchers? If they want to buy other (non-essential) things not covered by the vouchers, they had better hope that tenner covers it, save up or get a job.

This is by no means meant to apply to all those on benefit. My Mum works in the benefit office and there are genuine people out there who cannot work and need support. But there are a massive amount who just don't want to put any effort in but expect to get everything.

That is what really bites me. I work 9 hours a day, then generally freelance at night just so I can afford some nice things. I still can't afford the things that I really want but I understand that nobody will just give them to me, I have to work to get them. I really hate the "world owes me" attitude.
Old 25 June 2004, 10:57 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sounds good in practice, but I am sure they will crow about their human rights being beached and will all be given Sky free to keep them quiet

I really don't mind helping those in need. In fact I think some should get far more help than they do, but it gets me mad when my taxes pay for someone to sit on their lazy behind, whilst I struggle to pay the bills.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:02 AM
Jye
Scooby Regular

There are a few things being done. TFW (Training for Work - Ha!) is being 'refocussed' this year, with only those really looking for work being offered places. The others, those who have been hiding from work for years are going to be targeted and hounded by special advisors. Anyone who has been out of work for more than 2 years or has been on TWF is now seen as 'outwith the labour market'.
Old 25 June 2004, 11:03 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

Remember "Loudmouth" Lizzie Bardsley?

We worked out it would take 20 people working a full year, earning 20K p.a. and all of their tax going to just her, just to maintain that 40k per year in benefits and subsidies that she got.

That is not right, no matter how you look at it.