Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Outcome of the cat thread

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2004, 02:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outcome of the cat thread

Well we were making pretty good progress, the issues had been debated, heatedly at times, but in an adult manner.

It then takes one muppet to come along trying to sanction cruelty to animals and the thread gets closed again. I fear that the thread has now finally met its demise. While the offending thread could have been deleted, I do belive 1 individual stepped over the line, shame the thread starter can't delete posts otherwise we may have been able to self moderate before it came to this.

Quote:
As I said, if the neighbour comes and complains that I will seek a compromise with them.
Perhaps he doesnt know who the driver is, send him a photo lol
It's parked on my drive and has a registration number, yes I saw the smiley but honestly...
Old 23 June 2004, 02:13 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

If you read the comments in the SN Policy forum you will see that some of the mods were itching to lock it anyway - only reason they seem to give is that they found it boring and it had been debated before - strange as I didn't think whether a thread interested them or not was grounds for them locking it, but there you go.
Old 23 June 2004, 02:22 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

yes I saw the smiley but honestly...
And yet you still answered with a serious response, lol..........................
Old 23 June 2004, 03:12 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
If you read the comments in the SN Policy forum you will see that some of the mods were itching to lock it anyway - only reason they seem to give is that they found it boring and it had been debated before - strange as I didn't think whether a thread interested them or not was grounds for them locking it, but there you go.
If the thread was not of interest to a mod, or if it had been debated before were sufficient grounds to lock a thread, then most of the threads on SN would be locked.

How many:
I have been caught for speeding
I beat and X
Somebody damaged my car

have we had?
Old 23 June 2004, 03:34 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

But that's not why it was locked tiggers. It was locked because of 1 juvenile who just couldn't resist being a tw*t.

Frankly I'm amazed it lasted that long without it, nice that it did, shame it happened but no surprise.
Old 23 June 2004, 03:35 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Best to just let this one go now, don't you think Olly, good while it lasted, up to a point, but we're all done now, barring repetion....
Jye, bit tired and emotional last night, ( not drunk either, unfortunately, so can't blame it on that ) apologies for being ott, hope it's accepted!
Old 23 June 2004, 03:37 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
But that's not why it was locked tiggers. It was locked because of 1 juvenile who just couldn't resist being a tw*t.

Frankly I'm amazed it lasted that long without it, nice that it did, shame it happened but no surprise.
Nope but tiggers reasons are, I suspect, the reasons for the first locking. Following a request for clarification, the thread ws unlocked again, I assume due to closer inspection revealing that we hadn't violated the SN T&C and number of people were keen to continue the debate.

I think it is a credit to the bulk of the SN users that we did manage to debate the issue for so long before a muppet made a stupid comment
Old 23 June 2004, 03:38 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Yes indeedy.

Now, are there any other threads on SN?
Old 23 June 2004, 03:39 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Jye, bit tired and emotional last night, ( not drunk either, unfortunately, so can't blame it on that ) apologies for being ott, hope it's accepted
Didnt know there was a problem m8 so no need to apologise
Old 23 June 2004, 03:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
Best to just let this one go now, don't you think Olly, good while it lasted, up to a point, but we're all done now, barring repetion....
Jye, bit tired and emotional last night, ( not drunk either, unfortunately, so can't blame it on that ) apologies for being ott, hope it's accepted!
Yup - we have moved on to bitc*ing about the mods itchy trigger fingers now

In all seriousness though, the comment that resulted in the locking of the thread was totally uncalled for. I would have preferred to have seen that post deleted, not checked to see if it has been deleted since the locking, and the disucssion allowed to continue but c'est la vie
Old 23 June 2004, 03:41 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Yes indeedy.
Now, are there any other threads on SN?
How about: Dog owners should not have to take responsibility for their pet's actions because the cats owners won't take responsibility for theirs!!
Old 23 June 2004, 03:42 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Jye - your car is causing me significant stress, would you please trade it in for a bike? pmsl
Old 23 June 2004, 03:51 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Jye - your car is causing me significant stress, would you please trade it in for a bike? pmsl
Hey, I have a bike and I know how to use it

Sorry I have to go have a word with my neighbour m8, I think his dog gave me a dirty look
Old 23 June 2004, 04:00 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

How awful.
Old 23 June 2004, 04:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Hey, I have a bike and I know how to use it

Sorry I have to go have a word with my neighbour m8, I think his dog gave me a dirty look
Glad you were able to identify his owner
Old 23 June 2004, 04:13 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

So just delete the offending post. Sorry, but you can't help thinking that it was just the excuse they needed - read the threads in SN policy to see what I mean.

Anyway it's done - water under the bridge and time to move on I guess.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 23 June 2004, 04:16 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tiggers
So just delete the offending post. Sorry, but you can't help thinking that it was just the excuse they needed - read the threads in SN policy to see what I mean.

Anyway it's done - water under the bridge and time to move on I guess.

Regards,

tiggers.
In general I would agree, but in this case I do agree with the mods on the second locking. The person in question continued to try and provoke a reaction IMO and the thread was in danger of getting out of control. I have no complaints about the second locking
Old 23 June 2004, 05:41 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Olly, don't forget the statistical outcome....

The majority believe that owners should be responsible for the actions of their cats! (despite Jye's Mogabe style election rigging )

Now, to which cat owner should my company send the bill for my time?
Old 23 June 2004, 05:47 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

ajm, in this country, minority rules.....you lose!
Old 23 June 2004, 06:20 PM
InvisibleMan
Scooby Regular

lol are we all starting off again

i was getting withdrawal symptoms and had to do some work hmmpf
Old 23 June 2004, 06:35 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Olly, don't forget the statistical outcome....

The majority believe that owners should be responsible for the actions of their cats! (despite Jye's Mogabe style election rigging )
LMAO and you don't think the whole poll was rigged... God give me strength
Old 23 June 2004, 07:16 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
Nooooo... tell me it isn't so!

(bad leeeewser!)

LOL!
Old 23 June 2004, 07:37 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop

and like we all don't know what YOUR position is on this or any other cat related matter

You have got selective feline related blindness - you can't see past them being fluffy kittens

Go on, deny it, I dare ya!
Old 23 June 2004, 07:47 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I certainly do deny it ... I voted 'No' as it didn't apply to my cat ownership. So don't presume you know my position on it at all. Why should I vote for something that hasn't concerned me, besides being something that will never happen as legislation? So nothing 'selective' about it at all
Old 23 June 2004, 08:48 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

aha!

Why should I vote for something that hasn't concerned me, besides being something that will never happen as legislation? So nothing 'selective' about it at all
yet :
I voted 'No' as it didn't apply to my cat ownership
You didn't have any opinion on the matter you said in the original thread, because as you reaffirm here it's irrelevant to you, yet you voted against it simply because you can only see it as "anti cat". Thats the selective viewing I'm referring to.

Anyway, I've stopped the cat poohing on my lawn it seems, and my grass is growing back

Serious point though, with all your experience of cats can you offer any advice to non cat owners (if you can accept there is such a thing ) on how to deal with said fluffy darlings in a non cruel non shooting non poisoning scoobynet loving kind of way? You would appear to be one of the most qualified people on here with your extensive cat involvement, and I'd be keen to know if there is anything you've observed which will effectively make a cat clear off and doesn't involve batteries which run out while you are on holiday etc.

Aniseed? Some strong smell that maybe humans find nice? I've tried the chemical pellet repellant things, and the cat ignored them.
Old 23 June 2004, 09:50 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Buzz water sprays are one of the most effective ways of keeping them at bay, a sprinkler placed in the middle of your garden will do the lawn the world of good during summer and keep the cats off at the same time.

Got one mate, oscillates and everything

But if I left it on all night every night I'd have an enormous water bill and a floating quagmire of soggy turf.

Group buy on cricket pitch water removing driving roller things?
Old 23 June 2004, 09:55 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

So i need lupins, batteries, pictures of Charlie Dimmock and now water sprinklers do i?

Old 23 June 2004, 10:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot beleive the debate surrounding moggies that occurs on Scoobynet, I just cant summon up that much enthusiasm about animals I cant eat. You can post something that you would think would stimulate interesting debate and not a sausage but mention Tiddles and lo and behold twenty pages of drivel about feline rights.

Now, I am having real problems with Cats Shoplifting in Wilmslow, crapping on babies and scratching the elderley, in fact there is a huge tabby just stealing the wheels off my car....
Old 23 June 2004, 10:46 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -=Buzz=-
You didn't have any opinion on the matter you said in the original thread, because as you reaffirm here it's irrelevant to you, yet you voted against it simply because you can only see it as "anti cat". Thats the selective viewing I'm referring to
Oh dear, assuming again that I saw it as an anti-cat thread... why do people assume and twist so much, when they clearly are guessing FYI Buzz you have no idea of what my thoughts were - if you did you could be earning a fortune as a mindreader!
Anyway, I've stopped the cat poohing on my lawn it seems, and my grass is growing back
Serious point though, with all your experience of cats can you offer any advice to non cat owners (if you can accept there is such a thing ) on how to deal with said fluffy darlings in a non cruel non shooting non poisoning scoobynet loving kind of way? You would appear to be one of the most qualified people on here with your extensive cat involvement, and I'd be keen to know if there is anything you've observed which will effectively make a cat clear off and doesn't involve batteries which run out while you are on holiday etc.
I have never given it any thought, I have more important things to think about, than worrying how 'unknown' non-cat owners can use preventative measures to keep cats away. I have always lived in a rural area with plenty of fields, where cats aren't a problem to neighbours
Aniseed? Some strong smell that maybe humans find nice? I've tried the chemical pellet repellant things, and the cat ignored them
I haven't a clue

Quick Reply: Outcome of the cat thread