Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Do any recent PDAs have a integrated leather screen cover a la Palm V, Palm M505?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2004, 09:33 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do any recent PDAs have a integrated leather screen cover a la Palm V, Palm M505?

Hi,

Wife needs a new PDA, as her Palm M505 is on the blink. Now, the great thing about this is the integrated leather cover which can be folded over the protect the screen....adds little bulk to the overall dimensions, and is easily folded back on itself when PDA in use.

However, none of the newer PDAs I can see have this wonderful feature. Most have unprotected screens by default, or you have to purchase a leather case, which makes the whole package a bit more bulky (and not as easy to use - have to take it OUT of the case to use it, not just flip back an integrated cover).

Anyone know of any PDAs on the market that have this feature? I know it's not a big thing, but she carries her PDA around in her pocket/handbag, and a separate case for the PDA seems overkill.

PDA can either be Symbian or Microsoft (or others).

Know what I mean?

Old 22 June 2004, 09:47 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

www.covertec.com do cases for IPaqs that let you use the device without removing it from the case.
Old 23 June 2004, 12:00 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

When you are deciding on a replacement PDA - don't forget to check out the battery-life as well.

I also have an m505, and fancied a Tungsten T3 - until a colleague told me how little time it took before needing a recharge. While the m505 lasts into the teens of days, the T3 lasts hours

mb
Old 23 June 2004, 12:06 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Yeah....this is also an issue. Looking at some of the PocketPC PDAs, and some of them say :

"Battery life from the 1000mAh lithium battery is pretty good - lasts 3 hours so long as you have the WiFi switched off"

FFS! My wife uses her PDA as one SHOULD be used - a mobile repository of data, with loads of data in it, and continually inputting data during meetings, etc etc.
Something that lasts 3 hours is pretty unacceptable.....

Her Palm M505 seems to last somewhere between 2 to 3 weeks without requiring a recharge, and that's pretty heavy daily use.

She's also used to Graffiti on the Palm, as well as the fairly easy to use Palm user interface. Looking at PocketPCs, they GUI seems to concentrate on trying to look like a desktop PC first, with useability coming second.

Prob have a good look at the Palms, but shame that for someone who uses a PDA so intensively, it's the ones WITHOUT all the fancy stuff that fit the bill most.

Does that say something about the PDA market. All the bells and whistles on the top models are of little interest to the proper users
Old 23 June 2004, 12:46 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

After searching around, found out the Palm Tungsten E has a protective flip cover....

However, Palm's own website don't even have a picture of it in this config....they only mention it as a 'in the box accessory' at the bottom of the page, with no picture.

Anyway, looks like the Tungsten E will be the one that does everything the wife needs, so will perhaps get one of these....

Last edited by imlach; 23 June 2004 at 12:48 AM.
Old 23 June 2004, 01:10 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Argh - Tungsten E looks ok, then found out it doesn't have the normal Palm cradle - has separate cables for USB and power connectors and NOT in a cradle 'drop-in' format....

Ah well, can't have everything....
Old 23 June 2004, 02:42 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
When you are deciding on a replacement PDA - don't forget to check out the battery-life as well.

I also have an m505, and fancied a Tungsten T3 - until a colleague told me how little time it took before needing a recharge. While the m505 lasts into the teens of days, the T3 lasts hours

mb
Argh! Reading some user reviews on the web, seems even the Tungsten E has a battery life of only a few days even if switched OFF for all that time!!! That's no good.

FFS! Are we going backwards here?? Wife needs a PDA, with all the capabilities of the M505 (ie, few weeks battery life), yet it seems all the PDA manufacturers of today think that 3-4 hours battery life is pretty ok?! WTF!

Oh, and in the USA (dunno about UK yet), the Tungsten E is the only Palm model with a 90 day warranty - others have 1 year. Seems interesting given a lot of users seem to have a lot of failures with this model.

What am I to do....
Old 05 July 2004, 06:56 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

imlach,

did you eventually make a choice?

I was in PC World today, and the Sony CLIE TJ25 looked pretty neat. Slightly smaller although maybe a tad thicker than the Palm m505 - but twice the memory, far better screen resolution, cute jog dial, latest PalmOS and only GBP150 - less than half the original cost of mine!

It's the very bottom of the range, so i don't know what accessories you can get (indeed i think that it is serial rather than USB) - but i am tempted

mb
Old 05 July 2004, 07:01 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

The choice in the end was easy. The consultant who works with my wife had an almost unused Palm M505 he no longer needed - so an exact replacement.
Old 05 July 2004, 07:41 PM
Scooby96
Scooby Regular

imlach I have a clie peg t625 going cheap and it comes with an ali case ???
Old 05 July 2004, 08:10 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Well if anyone else is interested, the nice cases I've found for PDAs are here.

Chris