Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dialaphone (is this a scam?)

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2004, 02:11 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dialaphone (is this a scam?)

I have 2 phone accounts with 02 orderd through dialaphone 1 for me 1 for my wife. Dialaphone just phoned me and said that as a valued customer and due to recieving such a high credit score that I qualify for

free samsung s300
free £75 worth of accesories

The tarif is £20 per month for 1000 minutes and 100 texts
This will be debited from my account and at month 4 I have to send my bill to dialaphone and they will credit my account £80 and at month 12 same again but credit me £160 all to my airtime account.

So they are paying for the lot because when I cancel with 02 at month 12 I will be £160 in credit which 02 will send to me in the form of a cheque.

Now both phones I have from dialaphone have the same cashback redemption schemes and they do pay up.

So why would they offer this out of the blue? there's gota be a catch.

Maybe they are hoping I will forget when to send in the redemption vouchers but other than that I can't think of anything?

Just checked http://www.dialaphone.co.uk/ and they are doing the offer for anyone.

Last edited by wrx; 19 June 2004 at 02:17 PM.
Old 19 June 2004, 06:14 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how it works. Dialaphone get a kickback from the network (O2 in this case) for signing up customers. Dialaphone pass some of this kickback onto you. What they're hoping is that you won't bother to change, so you'll stick with the contract for 12 months or more.

Lots of these places also specify you can't change your tariff or cancel in the first three months. That's because the network will claw back the company's commission and they'll be out of pocket.