Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Electric Milkfloats, whatever....

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2004, 01:59 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Electric Milkfloats, whatever....

.....happened to them? is what I was thinking at 05:00 this morning when our milkman was reversing what sounded like a Massey Ferguson up our road!!!

Seriously though, they just seemed to have faded away!? I'm not sure when it happened, but I don't remember the last electric milkfloat I was stuck behind. They were annoying on the road, but better than a clattery old diesel at some ungodly hour in the morning!
Old 18 June 2004, 02:03 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Still have them in Loughborough - regularly get stuck behind them. They have even started delivering parcels now as well as milk
Old 18 June 2004, 02:14 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Do people still get milk 'delivered'??? Wierdo's
Old 18 June 2004, 02:17 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Probably not, guess that's why the ones round our way have taken to delivering parcels
Old 18 June 2004, 02:19 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Our milkman delivers drafts and considerations

Whatever he delivers its on electric giant roller skate with bottles on the back

Last edited by Abdabz; 18 June 2004 at 02:23 PM.
Old 18 June 2004, 02:44 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
Only one house on our cul-de-sac gets it delivered so thats several households woken up for the benefit of his coco pops in the morning!
Old 18 June 2004, 02:53 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
ROFLMAO

Trending Topics

Old 18 June 2004, 03:08 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

They're still around. We used to have milk delivered as part of my campaign to support smaller businesses rather than using supermarkets and you could regularly hear him as his float whined along the road.

I used to have to get up early on a regular basis (probably why you've not seen them recently, ajm) so I got caught behind our milkman frequently until we had a massive row one morning because he refused to move his float so that I could pass. I don't think the neighbours ever did get over me having a yelling match with him a 4.30am.

Still, I felt better after that especially when I cancelled the order.

Old 18 June 2004, 03:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have this problem as well, the **** that delivers down our cul de sac, starts and stops it four times and drove it with a badly sqealing fanbelt for weeks at 4am, I contacted the dairy who were apologetic but the guys wife came around to our house and had a go at us for trying to ruin their livelihood, f*ck them I say if thats the attitude, wake me up weeks on end at some ungodly hour and then give us stick.

The reason for the diesel vans is that the traditional (AND SILENT !) milk float cant cover the range, as more people buy their milk elsewhere they are forced to bigger rounds, which to me spells the end of the doorstep delivery, why not go and work for Tescos or Sainsbury's who deliver during the day.

Why do we need milk deliveries, we have supermarkets and dirty great fridges, we buy a couple of six pint containers and a couple of smaller full fat 2 pinters which we freeze for emergencies, can understand why anybody would want 2 pints delivered every morning for people to pinch, birds to peck and at this time of the year start going off, he delivers sometimes at 2am, so your milk could have been out for six or seven hours, it gets light at 4am so its been sat in direct sunlight so its all nice and warm, yum.

Also we dont have a paper boy, we have a bloke in a Fiesta with tappets adjusted so they just clatter against the bonnet and a surly bloke in a Diesel 206 who likes Radio 2, I know this because he has it very loud, I shouted at him to turn it down, he ignores me and carries on doing it, so I waited for the f*cker and told him in no uncertain terms that I would deliver him a paper intimately if he woke us again, he has turned the radio down but he stands chatting with a neighbour with the f*cking thing sat running for ages.
Old 18 June 2004, 03:17 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I used to have to get up early on a regular basis (probably why you've not seen them recently, ajm)
Are you insinuating that recently I have become a lie-in obsessed, idle layabout?! I'll have you know that I get up at 06:00 every morning!

part of my campaign to support smaller businesses rather than using supermarkets
and
Still, I felt better after that especially when I cancelled the order
LOL! So how is your campaign to support local businesses going now then?
Old 18 June 2004, 03:23 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
We have this problem as well, the **** that delivers down our cul de sac, starts and stops it four times and drove it with a badly sqealing fanbelt for weeks at 4am, I contacted the dairy who were apologetic but the guys wife came around to our house and had a go at us for trying to ruin their livelihood, f*ck them I say if thats the attitude, wake me up weeks on end at some ungodly hour and then give us stick.

The reason for the diesel vans is that the traditional (AND SILENT !) milk float cant cover the range, as more people buy their milk elsewhere they are forced to bigger rounds, which to me spells the end of the doorstep delivery, why not go and work for Tescos or Sainsbury's who deliver during the day.

Why do we need milk deliveries, we have supermarkets and dirty great fridges, we buy a couple of six pint containers and a couple of smaller full fat 2 pinters which we freeze for emergencies, can understand why anybody would want 2 pints delivered every morning for people to pinch, birds to peck and at this time of the year start going off, he delivers sometimes at 2am, so your milk could have been out for six or seven hours, it gets light at 4am so its been sat in direct sunlight so its all nice and warm, yum.

Also we dont have a paper boy, we have a bloke in a Fiesta with tappets adjusted so they just clatter against the bonnet and a surly bloke in a Diesel 206 who likes Radio 2, I know this because he has it very loud, I shouted at him to turn it down, he ignores me and carries on doing it, so I waited for the f*cker and told him in no uncertain terms that I would deliver him a paper intimately if he woke us again, he has turned the radio down but he stands chatting with a neighbour with the f*cking thing sat running for ages.
LOL, fantastic rant. Love it!

I almost killed our paper boy within a week of moving in by opening the electric garage door just as he was cycling past it! It was a genuine accident but he quit soon after and has been replaced by a surly adolescent with an attitude and a hood permanently fixed in the up position. Next time my paper comes through the letterbox looking like a piece of toilet paper I will be opening the garage door again!
Old 18 June 2004, 03:32 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Still have leccy milkfloat delivering to our street (and i'm talking about in the UK, not here in cannuck land), I know the next door neighbours get milk and bread delivered, and some of the old fogeys down the bottom of the road get it delivered too. Happen to know Bob (the milkman) rather well, he's a family friend and has been doing the round for as long as I can remember.
Old 18 June 2004, 03:36 PM
Faire D'Income
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
LOL! So how is your campaign to support local businesses going now then?
I started out with noble intentions but I have to admit that a few of them have let me down - the milkman for one, the local butcher has dished up a couple of tough joints (so it's back to Waitrose now ) but I still support local alternatives to the sheds and other multiples. The pet food supplier is excellent, he's as bent as hell but he delivers to us out in the sticks for more or less the same price as Pet City and he's good value when he starts camping it up.
Old 18 June 2004, 04:03 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

our milkman delivers in a leccy float - then he lifts the empties and throws them down the street - sounds like someone breaking in every morning at 4 oclock. I was going to canvel the order but he puts loads of business my way (he knows everything about everyone )
Old 18 June 2004, 04:04 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Pet food is about the only thing we get delivered now, is a far cheaper option. The price of a pint of milk delivered is a rip off compared to supermarket prices.
Old 18 June 2004, 04:09 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I too have tried to support local shops because I can't stand crowded supermarkets, I tend to become deranged when subjected to crowds, incompetance or a mixture of both.

Sadly out of all our local shops I now only frequent the local tackle shop (with sales of frozen sandeel for my hungry fish) because the rest of the local establishments are next to useless, carry no stock or are a meeting place for the local blue rinse brigade!

I have therefore come to a compromise and buy lunch for me (and fuel for scooby) at the local Shell station. Convenient parking, a good selection of grub and of course Optimax!
Old 18 June 2004, 04:28 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

Booze deliveries, that's what we need. Oops, forgot thats what taxi drivers are for
Old 18 June 2004, 04:37 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Far too quiet here for any noise nuisance but the milkman does still use his cart in the local hamlet.

No neighbours has it's benefits.
Old 18 June 2004, 05:30 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Father Ted - Speed 3 RFLMAO
Old 18 June 2004, 05:38 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Why do we need milk deliveries, we have supermarkets and dirty great fridges, we buy a couple of six pint containers and a couple of smaller full fat 2 pinters which we freeze for emergencies
Isnt is dodgy freezing milk?
Old 18 June 2004, 05:48 PM
farmer1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Isnt is dodgy freezing milk?
We freeze milk but it always tastes watery.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I used to do some contract work for Express dairies, They were shutting depots left right and centre. So it's a dying trade.

Still plenty of eleccy floats about, just mainly in big inner city areas now though.
Old 18 June 2004, 07:49 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can get beer delivered in leeds called 'gimme some beer' also have leccy milk floats in leeds.. always get stuck behind one when I occasionally go to work.. can never get past it though as the dirty diesel mondeo is slower than the leccy float
Old 19 June 2004, 10:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Nothing weird about getting the milk delivered, it an old British custom and very useful with the other items you can buy.

Les
Old 19 June 2004, 11:06 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Milk is ok to freeze, we always used to do it when I lived with my parents.

See here for q's about freezing milk.

My tip is to give it a good shake once it's thawed out otherwise it can be a bit watery at the top.
Old 19 June 2004, 11:09 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by scoobychick
My tip is to give it a good shake once it's thawed out otherwise it can be a bit watery at the top.
You'll go far girl.
Old 19 June 2004, 11:11 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Spoon, lmao
Old 19 June 2004, 02:40 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Sadly over the years milk deliveries have died away cos the supermarkets out price the milkman, I use to be a milkman but I got out when the job started to die, but my dad retired from the buissness about 5 years ago after 35 years delivering milk
Old 19 June 2004, 06:26 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i sumtimes see our milkman when im finnihsing a late shift with a ollop of overtime on the end

its like a crack SAS team, no leccy float, its sum kind of top secret goverment transit, the whole "operation" is like summit from BBC 2

In and out of the street before you have had time to work out WTF there doing

old bloke handles the driving while the young uns run like steve cram all over the place