Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Help with Travel to/from British GP Silverstone

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2004, 12:30 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Travel to/from British GP Silverstone

I will be flying in to Heathrow for the British Grand Prix, and wonder if anyone knows about the best way to get to Silverstone.

Looking to find tube/buses or worst case taxi.

Then I need to get back from Silverstone to Hyde Park, London on Sat evening.

Sunday morning transport to the GP is covered (bus picking up from hotel), but need to get from Silverstone to Heathrow again on the Sunday night.

Any ideas?

C
Old 15 June 2004, 12:33 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You could save time and money by painting a wall and watching the paint dry. Probably more entertaining too.

UB
Old 15 June 2004, 12:38 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Cheers UB.
Another well thought out and constructive reply.

C
Old 15 June 2004, 12:53 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big C
Cheers UB.
Another well thought out and constructive reply.

C
Sorry, couldn't resist. Seriously though, if you've not seen any of the Moto GP or BSB racing this year, you should check it out. If was spending that kind of money I would far rather go to Donno for Moto GP race in July. Much more exciting racing IMHO.

UB
Old 15 June 2004, 01:14 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Hire car? Plenty to choose from at Heathrow, then M25/M1 to the park and ride, then park and ride coach to the GP. Unless you have a 'rare as hens teeth' circuit parking pass you won't get anywhere near the on-site parking which also means your chances of getting a lift to and from Heathrow/London are going to be limited. As I've not done the park and ride thing before (shared a circuit pass last year ) I don't know whether you need some sort of pass to get on board the coaches or not, if not then there's bound to be someone who can give you a lift somewhere. I'm staying on a narrowboat near the park and ride so can't really help you unfortunately.

There are rail links from Milton Keynes and Banbury into London and then the Heathrow Express from London to Heathrow.

Tbh it sounds like a bit of a logistical nightmare to me, I think the hardest part will be getting to and from the circuit to a railway station.

Maybe there's someone on here who just happens to be going the same way and can give you a lift, providing you don't need a pass to get on board the park and ride coaches that is...?

Sal

Last edited by Scoobychick; 15 June 2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old 15 June 2004, 01:16 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Get a hire car (£40 for a Corsa) from Heathrow and drop it back in Northampton. The get a taxi or walk to the train station, and then a 70 min train journey to Euston.
Old 15 June 2004, 01:17 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Well I've got the 3 day £80 ticket and I'm looking forward to it. Damn good value in my book with a full race programme on each day.

Travel wise - it's not that easy. You've got a choice of two railway stations - Northampton or Milton Keynes. MK is slightly closer, but you may get a better service to Northampton (roughly 20 miles to the circuit).

From Heathrow, you could either get the Heathrow Express into Central London and then get a direct train from Euston to Northampton (HE goes into Paddington, so you'll need to take the tube to Euston).

The other option is take a train to Watford Junction from Heathrow and change to a service for Northampton. Either way, I would allow at least 90 mins. Once you get to Northampton, I guess the only choice will be a taxi, unless they are running a special bus service?

I would have a look at www.nationalrail.co.uk for details. Given the cost and time involved, what about hiring a car from Heathrow for the day? It probably wouldn't work out much different. If you have a look at http://www.carhireexpress.co.uk/ You should be able to hire a car for 24 hours for about £50. If you shop around and book in advance (saves the queues), you might find it cheaper.

Chris
Old 15 June 2004, 01:19 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Looks like we are thinking the same way
Old 15 June 2004, 01:24 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Yep I'd do the hire car thing

Or if I was seriously minted I'd fly in by helicopter staright from home
Old 15 June 2004, 01:56 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Old 15 June 2004, 02:43 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Isn't there a bus service from MK station to the circuit? Surely has to be better than a hire car etc.

By the way if you have a bus from the Hotel to the circuit on Sunday why not get the bus back to the hotel on Sunday and tube to the airport?

I assume you have checked the Silverstone website for any information on "getting here" if indeed there is any!
Old 15 June 2004, 10:28 PM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Default ooohhh....decisions decisions!

Thanks all.

UB, I'm taking a family member for a special birthday, personally I would rather go to the WRC. As i've also never been to a Grand Prix, I thought I'd give it a whirl.
I do fancy the moto Gp or British superbikes though!

hire car wise, I'm trying to avoid it. i can get a free on thoug with points, so I might need to bite the bullet.
I have some 'drink all you want' corporate do that I can gatecrash, and as I have full lounge privledges, i thought I'd start early in the lounge before departing to Heathrow and on the plane. The more I can numb the journey with alcohol the better if you know what I mean...
On the Sunday, I am expecing to be particularly worse for wear, so there is no chance of getting back to London by car (unless i get a driver). i'm thinking of getting an executive car or even a cab, but I think it is something like 70 miles, so that might be out of the question.
I have got some parking passes (3 day) for the circuit though...was thinking of putting them on ebay as I hope not to use them.

I have been told that the train is the best way to go (after a short tube ride I believe), but apprently there is going to be major disruption that weekend, with lines closed for essential maintenance. I understand that the line to Northampton will be closed that weekend! Great timing eh?!
I checked National Express, and the journey times are between 2h50m and 4h20m. Unacceptable IMO...I'm not a big fan of peasant carriers at all, especially not for 4 bloody hours!

The Silverstone site is particularly unhelpful, and the local tourist orifice that promised to phone me back today haven't bothered their @rse.

i do like the helicopter idea....<off to check that one out>...

the search goes on, but thanks for the input so far all!

any more ideas?

C
Old 15 June 2004, 11:58 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

I think you are back to the hire car again, unless you fancy some BIG taxi bills.

Fabulous timing by the railways - not. Let's choose the weekend of one of the biggest sporting occassions of the year and take out the mainline and nearest station! Absolute genius - do you think people are actually paid to come up with ideas like that?

Chris
Old 16 June 2004, 11:21 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Looks however as though I will need to take a hire car on Saturday.
Sunday should be ok in the a.m., but I'm still stuck on Sunday night to get back to Heathrow.
Any more for any more?

C
Old 16 June 2004, 11:23 AM
Big C
Scooby Regular

Oh, and I think I will become a planner for railtrack too.

Surely I would be the MD before long with 'rseh0les like the ones they have just now working for them!!

C