Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Data Protection Act advise

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2004, 02:06 PM
Pixxie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data Protection Act advise

Is anyone an expert on the DPA, in particular an employers responsibility to keep you data safe?
Seen this and thought would post it here to see if anyone can help.....

My GF works for a local company who had an IT consultancy doing some work for them. A contractor with the IT firm has had his/her laptop stolen which had personal details of all the staff (date of birth, NI number, bank account details, address etc). The company have not said whether the data was encrypted or how long ago the theft took place.
The GF is now concerned that the person with this data will now attempt to open bank accounts, apply for credit cards etc using this information.

Can she do anything about claiming for compensation from her employer and/or the IT consultancy? From what I've read it sounds like you can only get compensation if you have suffered "damage". That sounds a bit vague. She's stressing now and nothings happened. If her credit rating gets hit because of dodgy credit card applications etc she may struggle to get loans, mortgages in the future (and I'll be nagged to death about it as well ).

Has anyone been in this position
Old 15 June 2004, 09:17 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Even if someone has these details, if they apply for credit it will have to be to this address. In order to make any benefit from this they need to steal her post as well. All the info above is fairly easily obtained - in theory someone could use it to set up an identity at another address, but if someone is going to make that much effort then they could probably do it even if they didn't get all the info from the laptop
Old 15 June 2004, 09:21 AM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pixxie
Is anyone an expert on the DPA, in particular an employers responsibility to keep you data safe?
Seen this and thought would post it here to see if anyone can help.....

My GF works for a local company who had an IT consultancy doing some work for them. A contractor with the IT firm has had his/her laptop stolen which had personal details of all the staff (date of birth, NI number, bank account details, address etc). The company have not said whether the data was encrypted or how long ago the theft took place.
The GF is now concerned that the person with this data will now attempt to open bank accounts, apply for credit cards etc using this information.

Can she do anything about claiming for compensation from her employer and/or the IT consultancy? From what I've read it sounds like you can only get compensation if you have suffered "damage". That sounds a bit vague. She's stressing now and nothings happened. If her credit rating gets hit because of dodgy credit card applications etc she may struggle to get loans, mortgages in the future (and I'll be nagged to death about it as well ).

Has anyone been in this position
Under the Act, anyone who has such information in some electronic form has a responsibility to protect it....we get that many laptop thefts in service areas around this way that police are considering sticking the aggreived party on for breaching the DPA, just to make them take responsibility.
I'm not sure however how you stand on compensation unless the data is actually accessed(not even sure if it has to be used in any way!!)....well worth a trip to your solicitors!!!
If i get a chance at work this week, i could research it further....pm me if you are interested!
Old 15 June 2004, 09:57 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure of the answer to your question but a few points that I thought of reading:

- Has the theft been notified to the police?

- Has the suspected fraud been notified to the police?

- Did the consultancy sign a non-disclosure agreement? If they didn't then at the risk of sounding harsh the company has given a the consultancy access to personal information without ensuring they will not pass it on knowingly.

- Was the contractor an employee of the consultancy or self-employed? You may have more success persuing a larger company, the consultancy should be insured against this sort of thing if it is a larger company.
Old 15 June 2004, 10:17 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Even if someone has these details, if they apply for credit it will have to be to this address. In order to make any benefit from this they need to steal her post as well. All the info above is fairly easily obtained - in theory someone could use it to set up an identity at another address, but if someone is going to make that much effort then they could probably do it even if they didn't get all the info from the laptop
are you sure about this??

its not hard to "create" a new address, and this is a problem within uk banking at the minute, especially with loans and cards. there is specific number of address' in london that are known for this kind of thing. you know we have recently moved from here to here, here is our past adress details etc etc

james
Old 15 June 2004, 10:33 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

j4mou - It would be fairly easy for them to create a new address and have the credit history of the old address, but if someone wants to go to this effort they will be able to get all the info they need from other sources, so the theft of the laptop probably isn't that bad
Old 15 June 2004, 12:41 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

j4mou,

I agree with fast bloke, if somebody wants to steal your girlfriend's identity they can do this without the hassle of stealing a laptop. The addresses you're referring to in London are know as "accommodation addresses" and all banks/finance houses know these addresses and automatically check their data against them.

If your girlfriend is seriously concerned about this tell her to contact CIFAS and put her name on the protective registration service. This costs £11.75. Go to CIFAS and click on Protective Registration.