Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What can you do on a private road?

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2004, 09:36 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can you do on a private road?

I do not want to hear things like 180mph etc...

At work we are down a private road (Unadopted) we share the road with about 15 houses and it links to a public road at each end.

We have an old mini bus which has been replaced, but they did not want the old one as a trade in. It has been decided by the powers that be, that we are to strip out the seats and use the bus to transport rubbish from the main building to the bins which are at the end of the car park. What are the legalityies of running the bus up and down the private road once the tax and MOT have expired?

What would happen if we hit another car using the road? Surely the bus could not be insured if it has no Tax or MOT?
Old 09 June 2004, 09:37 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Track day insurance?
Old 09 June 2004, 09:39 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

I know you can park a untaxed vehicle on a private road as long as its declared to be off the road but i am unsure of the rest? shouldn't be a problem surely if its a private road? why not contact dvla and see how you stand? they may be able to shed some light ......

Although 180mph out of a mini bus would be impressive
Old 09 June 2004, 09:47 AM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobywagonGl
Although 180mph out of a mini bus would be impressive
For Impressive - read - impossible/****ing scary
Old 09 June 2004, 09:48 AM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

LOL nexuas just a thought
Old 09 June 2004, 09:56 AM
yoza
BANNED

180 mph, etc...
Old 09 June 2004, 10:09 AM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

As the road is open to public access, all the usual road traffic laws apply, the fact the road is privately owned makes no difference. Therefore you'll need tax, MOT & insurance.
Old 09 June 2004, 10:29 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Afaik unadopted just means that the council have no obligation to maintain and repair the road and that as it's still classed as a public highway all the usual road traffic laws apply, my dad (one time council planning dept bod) told me this as I live on an unadopted road. However a check with your appropriate county council dept should tell you for sure
Old 09 June 2004, 10:37 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

The normal rules of the road now apply to private areas to which vehicles and the public have access. I suspect that the tax situation my be somewhat different as the vehicle is not on the public road but would imagine that insurance would be required and the driver would be subject to normal road traffic laws.

As an aside this highlights the danger of using a Tescos car park to do something which is illegal on the "public roads", such as donuts in the snow. Get a real jobsworth copper out to persecute the motorist and you could find yourself in court being treated like you were doing donuts on the motorway.
Old 09 June 2004, 11:54 AM
ChrisB

Indeed, I was told that for an area to be exempt from the road laws it must be gated at all entrances.
Old 09 June 2004, 12:18 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Just because its unadopted it doesnt mean its not public. First find out who owns the road and the land that its on.
If it is indeed privately owned then the laws of the road do not apply. However, if others have use of the road then it would be wise to have some form of liability insurance.....
Old 09 June 2004, 01:13 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

You are required to have an mot and insurance but thats all, you do not need tax as it is not on the queens public highway but insurance is a must, I was told this by a copper afer he pulled me down a private road for doing 180....................
Old 10 June 2004, 12:14 PM
Nexuas
Scooby Regular

So are we looking at MOT and insurance, but not to bother with the roadfund tax?
Old 10 June 2004, 02:07 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Basically you need to treat it exactly like you would if you were to be driving on the public road except for the tax so you are correct. You also need to bear in mind the requirement for seat belts, tyre tread etc. etc.

If the vehicle is not going to be taxed and is declared as being off the road then I wonder what the situation is with getting it to and from the MOT centre?

One thing to watch out for is that it is the driver that is liable in most cases and not the company who own the car so if you don't think it is legal then don't drive it or it will be you with the points, fine, paying extra insurance etc.