Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

£990 Parking Ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2004, 02:23 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Angry £990 Parking Ticket

Got a £40 parking fine few months ago, as despite buying a ticket my wheel was outside the white line of the bay, due to a kerb sticking into the space.
Refused to pay the fine and tried to appeal against it which is still continuing.
During this time to fine was passed to a collection agency, as I still refused to pay.
Yesterday morning I found a letter in my letterbox - ''we have taken your car as the fine has not been paid yet'' (despite me making the company aware I was disputing it).
Spent all of yesterday getting my car back, and had to pay £990 to do so!!!!!!!
Yes I know it is my fault, but I thought i'd let you guy's know, so that the same doesn't happen to any of you.
So even if it's not your fault.....pay the fine and dispute it after!!!!!!
(looks like I won't be getting the 18"s for a month or two!!!!!!)
Old 08 June 2004, 02:28 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm doing exactly that right this minute funnily enough.

I was parked in a bay where there is four hour maximum stay. I only had small change or me so I put in a quid, went to meet my friend in the pub, bought a round of drinks to break a note, went back and put in the rest of the money to take me up to four hours, and when I returned after about three hours I had a ticket.

The reason?

Meter feeding. Apparently you are not allowed to put two different tickets on a car in the same bay, regardless of the four hour maximum stay. So what, they expected me to leave the car there with no ticket whilst I got change?

Brainless cvnts.
Old 08 June 2004, 02:42 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Originally Posted by Edcase
Brainless cvnts.
Couldn't put it better myself
Old 08 June 2004, 03:07 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Moley WRX, feel sorry for you mate. There should be a bl**dy law against fines increasing to that much. We had something similar happen here at work. The ticket went from £90 to £156 to £196 to £256 to £512 all within 3/4 weeks.
Old 08 June 2004, 03:32 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

How did they get into your car? I'd sue them for any scrape anywhere on it.

Last edited by Jye; 08 June 2004 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08 June 2004, 03:36 PM
Silvafox
Scooby Regular

Bet they lifted off the road on to a flat bed or towed it.....then again can you tow a 4x4? (assuming it was a scooby).
Old 08 June 2004, 04:09 PM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Got a £40 parking fine few months ago, as despite buying a ticket my wheel was outside the white line of the bay, due to a kerb sticking into the space.
Refused to pay the fine and tried to appeal against it which is still continuing.
During this time to fine was passed to a collection agency, as I still refused to pay.
Yesterday morning I found a letter in my letterbox - ''we have taken your car as the fine has not been paid yet'' (despite me making the company aware I was disputing it).
Spent all of yesterday getting my car back, and had to pay £990 to do so!!!!!!!
Yes I know it is my fault, but I thought i'd let you guy's know, so that the same doesn't happen to any of you.
So even if it's not your fault.....pay the fine and dispute it after!!!!!!
(looks like I won't be getting the 18"s for a month or two!!!!!!)
I was watching something on TV about this only yesterday, it said that something like 70% of contested parking fines are waved.

There is a solictor that has set up a website to contest fines for you (at a small charge no doubt) but I can't think what it was. I will ask the wife when I get home she has a better memory than me (well she does when it comes to arguments anyhow :0 )

Must be contested within 14 days, there is a parking fine arbitrator if your not happy with how they deal with it seem to be some of the points that stick in my mind. I was probably on scoobynet while it was on, I will be reminded if this was the case when I ask the wife the name of the website tonight of course.

Tandy
Tandy

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2004, 05:19 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

i thought bailiffs couldnt remove property without the owner being present or at least informed at the time
Old 08 June 2004, 05:20 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

You need an active tracker - some bugger moves the car more than a few feet without de-activating the tracker and plod will be behind him asking a few questions before very long!!
Old 08 June 2004, 06:12 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Yeah it was picked up by a truck. I know because my mate drove past when they were lifting it up, but didn't think to ring me and tell me what was going on!!!!!
Old 08 June 2004, 07:17 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

lol
A few years back i was down fulham road in the morning traffic.
There are a set of traffic lights with a right turn lane starting just as the bus lane ends.
I pulled into the bus lane about 5 metres before it finished ( and 10 mins before the bus lane was out of restricted hours , to avoid getting stuck in the traffic for the right turn lane and having to force my way across. Bear in mind the traffic was crawling, and i had cars come up behind me in the bus lane after i had nmoved across.

Got pulled and fined. No argument- no penalty for the drivers who were p/ssing down the bus lane for about half a mile.

It was a trainee WPC being shown how to issue a ticket and when i pulled out my old stylee licence (in several parts ) 2 of them blew off down the road from her hand. I refused to chase them (she was already in the process of being shown how to issue a ticket so i didnt care) and she had to chase them down the road and get them back... lol
Seeing that almost made it worthwhile.......
Old 08 June 2004, 09:16 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Ed - just got off your exact same scenario with Westminster council - I tol;d then I did not have pockets like a fruit machine and was forced to return!!!!

Bravo - again similar to you but in the car though... (I always look to see which way the cams are pointing on the bike; if they point forward its free bus lane time for me with my one rear numberplate!!!). So wrote off to Wandsworth Council months ago (remember I check those cams EVERY DAY on the bike so I was hardly likely to stick the Scooby in a bus lane...). Schtum. Nada... Maybe they couldn't find the incriminating pic... Tempted to write again and ask them if they were lying the first time - but of course won't as in case they DO find a pick. Human rights anyone...?

D
Old 08 June 2004, 09:18 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

...I have already had a war with Tunbridge Wells parking wardens over an incident that involved me stopping outside a chemist bleeding profusely and then getting ticketed when the traffic warden could see I was in medical need of seeing the chemist....

Cool - Over here we have to go to casualty to get stitches - you can only get painkillers from a chemist

Anyway - If you ever ever ever get a parking ticket, drive to the nearest garage you can and buy a battery connector (usually about 50p) keep the receipt and send a copy to the parking ticket appeals people saying that you had no actually parked illegally, but had actually broken down and had gone to purchase the necessary replacement parts, for which you have enclosed a receipt showing the date and time matching the date and time of the incident. They always let you off. (I did it 5 times in one car - on the 5th occasion they pointed out that I had replaced a battery terminal on 4 previous occasions - I agreed that it was unusual and told them I would get a garage to check that I was fitting them properly - After that I bought a brake light buld instead - well it is illegal to drive with defective bulbs )
Old 08 June 2004, 09:51 PM
ScoobywagonGl
Scooby Regular

so is there anyway you can claim any of this money back as you were going through presumably the courts to raise this issue over the original £40 fine?

quite worrying!
Old 09 June 2004, 09:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't believe Moley's experience and I feel very sorry about it.

I remember B2Zero's experience when he was suffering and trying to get into a chemist, thats another incident that takes the biscuit, even in today's times which seem to be getting more selfish and vicious by the day!

The recent traffic warden who got sacked because he did not give out enough tickets says it all. He was the one who was not fiddling when he wrote out a ticket like his compatriots who were taking bonus payments according to the number of tickets they could write out by fair means or foul.

I would not call them brainless Edcase, so much as evil conniving hypocrites! and the council who employ them.

Les
Old 09 June 2004, 10:18 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Moley,

that is a wretched experience, but the bottom line with parking fines is you have to pay them and then contest the fine. I think the law in this area is disgraceful, that we are effectively punished before we are given the right to prove ourselves innocent of any offence. It's really not worth putting aside a £40 fine only to end up with additional admin fees, bailiff fees, court fees et. al. which can spiral quickly into £1'000s.

I live in a town where Traffic Vulture activity is intense and the local council probably rely on parking fines to bring in X amount of revenue towards their annual budget. I'm convinced of this! It's the biggest scam going. I understand the vultures are doing their job, but having seen so many of them through my office window giving out tickets that are totally unjustified and not waiting the 5 minutes they are leaglly obliged to wait after ticket expiry, I'm beginning to despise the lot of them.

Fast bloke's ideas are pure genius! I bow to him!
Old 09 June 2004, 10:22 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

fast bloke - that's brilliant!
Old 09 June 2004, 10:23 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

I have to say that paying the fine and contest is the way to do things. I was picked up for illegal parking down a side street where they had police "no parking bollards" out. I parked at the end of the street after the last bollard and so was in fact parked legally.

I sent the payment off with an accompanying letter. I admited that I may not have adhering to the spirt of the bollards and that the intention may well have been to block the whole street, however, the person putting the bollards out had left a car sized space at the end of the run and before the end of the street and as such I was parked legally. They sent my cheque back to me.
Old 09 June 2004, 11:05 AM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
...I have already had a war with Tunbridge Wells parking wardens over an incident that involved me stopping outside a chemist bleeding profusely and then getting ticketed when the traffic warden could see I was in medical need of seeing the chemist....

Cool - Over here we have to go to casualty to get stitches - you can only get painkillers from a chemist

Anyway - If you ever ever ever get a parking ticket, drive to the nearest garage you can and buy a battery connector (usually about 50p) keep the receipt and send a copy to the parking ticket appeals people saying that you had no actually parked illegally, but had actually broken down and had gone to purchase the necessary replacement parts, for which you have enclosed a receipt showing the date and time matching the date and time of the incident. They always let you off. (I did it 5 times in one car - on the 5th occasion they pointed out that I had replaced a battery terminal on 4 previous occasions - I agreed that it was unusual and told them I would get a garage to check that I was fitting them properly - After that I bought a brake light buld instead - well it is illegal to drive with defective bulbs )

lol but top idea though
Old 09 June 2004, 03:59 PM
Moley
Sponsor

I've certainly learnt my lesson, will pay straight away next time!!!!

I now park about a mile away from work and walk in. Not ideal but saves the risk of getting a ticket.