Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Future Dance 29/05/2004

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 03:14 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rave review, Future Dance 29/05/2004

I had waited a long time for this day to come. Near on two years in fact. Future Dance's dissapearance from the Hardcore rave scene had left a big gap in the calender of events. Previous FDs that were amongst the only large scale Hardcore raves in London during 2000-2001 were long overdue a return and finally the relaunch was here. Not only had it returned but it was back in not a small way as well.No meek relaunch for Future Dance, PeteEthos had teamed up with Kev Energy, Sharkey and the rest of the Freeformation crew to bring the party back in the only way to do it justice. The newly refurbished Fridge was put to good use as the venue and both arena were filled with a lineup to die for. The main room hosted a full on HARDcore lineup with the likes of Brisk, Scott Brown,CLSM and of course, Nu Energy's finest, Sharkey, AMS and Kev Energy. If that werent enough, the freshy expanded second arena hosted none other than a Rhythm Station reunion night with a lineup which would not look out of place in any main arena. Druid, Luna-C, Ethos, Ramos, Robbie Long. The only problem that I saw was whether I could leave the secondroom long enough to enjoy the main arena.
The lineup was amazing, the venue was a winner, but I was going for one reason only. It was Future Dance and that meant I was going to be there no matter what.

At around 10pm,a small gaggle of ravers were hanging round the entrance while a certain person finished off another gallon of energy drinks. Soon after, we headed for the entrance and after a brief pat down for weapons and handing over 18quid on the door, we were in.
When we got to the main arena,the first thing I noticed was the relocation of the DJ booth to the opposite side of the dancefloor. Not only did this bring the DJ closer to the partypeople, but it also opened up the main stage to anyone who wanted to have a dance with a birds eye view of the rave. Me and Davespice took full advantage of this as AMS made short work of the first set. If you think that just because AMS played first he was going to go all nancy on us and play "A warmup set" then think again. This man is a freeform jock and thats exactly what we got. together with Odyssey on the mic,they whipped the crowd into a frenzy by touching 180bpm at some points with tunes like "Devil in disguise", "End of Days" and "Huggermugger". This was what the night was all about. Tunes that were less about hands in the air vocals and moreabout stomping your guts out non stop. By that yardstick, AMS had done a great job of setting thetone for the evening.
Next up was a trip into the second arena for one of the real highlights of the evening, Luna-C. Unfortunatly, the second room didn't open till later on in the night due to technical problems, so the party crew hung back in the main room and listened to Kev Energy's set. However I knew I belonged in the Rhythm Station room so I had a bit of a sulk instead. Eventually everything was set up and and as soon as it was open I was in there like a shot. Unfortunatly Luna-C only had a bit of his set left to go, but what little I did see was enjoyable, especially when he dropped "In Complete Darkness".
After thatwas the best part of the night. I spent the next hour and a half brocking non stop to the Old skool selections of Ethos and Druid. I totally forgotabout tune IDing andgot on with having a good time. It weren't difficult either. The few tunes I do remember , such as Ethos playing "Rock this place" and Druid playing "**** my best friend" and "6 Days", gives you an idea what the whole experience was like. Totally MC free and IMO all the better for it, it was easily the best part of the night. I had to be cos i can't remember very much of it at all. It was so good I had serious problems dragging myself away to see CLSM in the main room. I tried for a solid 20 minutes, but a breakbeat powered tractor beam held me firmly in place. Eventually the lure of the upfront sound was too much and I left to enjoy thelatter half of CLSM's set.
When I got out there, WOW! The place was as close to the definition of "Nicely full" as you can get. There were more than enough people in there to see the pormoters allright, but there was still space enough to dance without bumping into people every five seconds. CLSM's Jon Doe was in the area and was doing a grand job of keeping the party going.Not least when I got out there as shortly after he dropped one of my current favourite tunes "Driftin' Away". As well as that, he also mixed in "Hardcore Hustler", the highly enjoyable "Dancing the night away" and of course the tune that everybody knows the words to, "John Peel is not enough".
Even though I was only out there for 1/2 an hour, I was well happy I had made the journey to see his set.
Not that I hung around for long though, cos I was straight back into the Rhythm Station arenaafter CLSM had finished for Ramos's set. After walking the set of the night at Uproar a few weeks back, I wanted more of the same. What made me a very happy raver was I got it. With bells on. Including "Incognito" into his set definitely won me over, I wasgoing crazy when that DnB breakdown came in. The rest of his set was just as good with "6Days", "Life force generator" and a remix of "Party time" all getting a well deserved rinse.
I was going to stay for RobbieLong, but at 3.10 he still hadn't turned up, soi headed out to the main arena to see Sy. Unfortunatly he hadn't turned up either due to being held up by an accident on the M1, so Brisk took his place and more than made up for his absence. Seeing two of his sets in as many nights was no chore at all and I was more than up for another helping. Wottsee took over from Storm on the mic and together they gave the London crowd what they had given the Liverpool crew the night before. Going flat out from start to finish, they kept the hectic pace of the rest of the night by playing "Back and forth", "Huggermugger"and making one concession to the trance sound with "Angel eyes". Well enjoyed this set and I danced all the way through it.
For the final set of the night, it was leftto Sharkey to finish things off. but even though there was a short time left to go there was no room for complacency. It was entirely feasable that the hardest setof the night was just around the corner. To be fair though, thats not entirely true, cos it weren't a hard set in the strictest sense of the word, but what it was was relentless, fast as hell and too good to describe in mere words. My lack of tune recall tells me all I need to know though, I was easily carried away freeform territory by the originator and still the best in the business. Dropping "No1 can compete", "Hitman" and a remix of "Takin me higher" into his set was the perfect way to end the night and despite it being the closing moments ofa two day rave mission,I had no problem dancing all the way till the end of the final tune.

Things I liked:

The whole thing! Future Dance's return was long overdue and together with Freeformation made the whole evening a magical experience.However, if you insist of specifics....

Lineup - Yum. I could use a lot of words to describe it, but yum sums it up nicely. Whoever put that lineup together should do the same for every event in the country.

Venue - My first Hardcore rave at the fridge and I was more than a little impressed. Nice refurb as well, I enjoyed dancing on the main stage and in the widened second room.

Sound System - On top form all night and very very loud. Beefed up system in the second arena was nice to listen to as well.

Atmosphere - Relaunch after a two year break in a different venue, yet the atmosphere was exactly the same as I remember it back at the last FD.

Lighting, production and decor - Three lasers, serious lighting rig, the Globug crew in the place again (Furry fluro animals and stuff are the future!) and indoor pyrotechnics as well. What morecould you ask for?

Security - Fridge security in the place again and just as safe as I remember them. A patdown for weapons then they let the party crew get on with partying. Respect.

Things I liked less:

The heat - It was vey hot in there, mind you, I was too happy to care tbh.

Vinny the stage dancer - Where was he?He was a regular at all the FD events i attended and he should have been there at the relaunch. It werent the same without him going crazy on stage.

What a party. I was totally wasted from the night before, but I just couldnt stop dancing. The music was too good. Future Dance is a rave which continues to impress in all aspects, despite the huge gap in between this event and the last. The promoters have lost none of their flair for putting on the best Hardcore parties on the planet. Lineup, Production, Venue and general attention to detail are just as good as they ever were. The whole night flew by in ani nstant.I was having the time of my life from the moment I stepped into the arena till the very last kickdrum came out of the speakers. And I didn't want to leave when it was all over.
This party, as the name suggests,is the future. Innovation, Creativity and an obivious thirst for putting on the best party possible all paid dividends on the night. I can easily see myself attending every event that Future Dance and Freeformation put on in the future. In fact, I would be happy with re-running this event on a weekly basis for the foreseeable future. It won't happen,so I'll do the next best thing.
See you at the next one.
astraboy.
Old 04 June 2004, 03:34 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Flippin eck AstraBoy

You must be bored

Chip.
Old 04 June 2004, 06:49 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

not bored mate, these are not for this website really, I just post em on here for a laugh.
here is where they are really meant to go.
http://www.ush.net/ravin/reviews.php
astraboy.
Old 05 June 2004, 01:42 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Atraboy,
You'll have to take me along with you one day. Show me what it's all about.

chip.