Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any Windsurfers on here?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 01:12 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Any Windsurfers on here?

Looking at getting into more seriously. I worked in Sardinia over the summer so have learnt to a good beginner level (planing, footsraps etc). IMHO it is one of the most annoying sports to learn but also the most rewarding when you get something right! You can't beat waking up in the morning and hearing the wind howling and spotting the gusts coming in tho I was lucky working at a place with a full range of sails and boards! no rigging and derigging only for the wind to die!

If anyone has memories of wobbling about on a board and falling in all the time the sport has progressed loads and you can be up and going in a few hours but if you keep going the first time you start planing is unbelevable tho its usually followed by a catapult into the water if you are harnessed in!!

Also as a side note anyone been watching the supercross series it looks awsome tho I can't quite front loop yet!!

Cheers

Andy
Old 04 June 2004, 03:25 PM
darlodge
Scooby Regular

I remember Weapon69 asking about windsurfing a while back.

Me, I can't swim so that would be a bit dangerous!!

Darren
Old 04 June 2004, 03:34 PM
weapon69
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi Andy

I used to be a keen windsurfer but thats out of bounds at the moment (preggy) but i have fond memories (not) of planing and being catapulted and nearly breaking every bone in my body I now have to be content with just watching the windsurfing *sigh*

Franz/Franx on the sports board is into windsurfing, there was quite a long thread going on.

Sooz
Old 06 June 2004, 11:11 AM
Franx
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by weapon69
Franz/Franx on the sports board is into windsurfing, there was quite a long thread going on.
That'd be me then
There's a thread in the sport section
I do just that as well, working in West Kirby (not quite Sardinia) - I used to borrow the stuff off the centre, so I could just go out and have fun, with no rigging/pissing about beforehand Bouthg my own stuff now though, so I don't need to...
It's a terrible sport to learn - especially if you teach yourself, as most people seem to. Once you get it though, it's really worth it
Old 06 June 2004, 02:40 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

Aha I found the thread! I was being a bit slow and looking for it on the Impreza sport forum! Oh well it is sunday!

I really enjoyed learning it and I was fortunate to learn over 5 months it also helped that I got on well with the windsurf instructors and the med was very warm over most of the season! Although near the end we were begging to borrow their 4mil wet suits (dodgy long arm short leg style!) I am a bit stuck tho now as after graduating and working for a bit in offices etc I have done 3 seasons (2 ski and 1 summer) and now I can't get used to the idea of a weeks skiing/windsurfing a year! Oh well I will keep buying the lottery ticket. BTW I would reccomend Sardinia as a great WS location esp the north. I obviously haven't got great experience but the people I was with who have sailed alot of places said it was great! At the end of the season at Porto Pollo my mate (who weighs 95kilos!) was overpowered on a 4.7 in perfect cross on winds with flat water for blasting! The best bit is if you get blown down wind you end up in Port Alucia! which is also a very good location it has two bays giving usually an off shore wind in one bay and on /cross on in the other! lots of flat water loops etc going on
Old 07 June 2004, 01:03 AM
icantthinkofone
Scooby Regular

Hiya, just checking in...

Spent most of friday on a free-formula (detuned formula board), with an 8.7. Not ideal conditions, but pushed my personal best to 21.6kts

And....

Did my first carve gybe.

Wooohhoooo

(no planing exit yet tho....)
Old 07 June 2004, 01:12 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You want to try Kitesurfing!! I have been doing it for about 3 years. used to do windsurfing but this gives you a much bigger hit.. i found it easy to learn compaired to the windsurfer. also the kites take up much less room..
you can Have lots of fun with both..

Mark..

Trending Topics

Old 07 June 2004, 11:44 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

A couple of my mates last summer had kites but the problem was the wind had to be just right for them to be able to use them, really need a range of kites but that starts to get serious money! I think he got more use out of his board when we towed him behind a 40hp rib! The funniest was when one of my mates (think 6'3 rugby player!) managed to hold the boat off the plane as it couldn't even drag him up!

I would like to have a go at kite surfing but only with a rescue boat arround and a very sharp knife with me!

Enjoy all and hopefully the wind will pick up a bit!

Andy
Old 07 June 2004, 11:59 AM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

That is the problem with the kites. I have sizes from 5m up to 22m for different wind conditions but usually only need the 14m it has a wind range from 8knt`s to 25knt`s. the best bit is being able to jump 40ft up!! I`ve not been windsurfing for a while no maybe i should get it out of the garage again..
Old 07 June 2004, 05:51 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Used to windsurf a lot when I lived in Cyprus. Lived and breathed it for 3 years solid. Started off racing but found the longboards and large sails boring. Moved onto waveboards and bought a 255 that I couldnt sail for weeks and then one day it just clicked. Amazing how even the smallest of jumps feels massive.

Got to rya level 4 and then got to the stage where going out on anything more than a 5.5 sail I just didnt bother. Could duck gybe, aerial gybe, table top and just about land a backwards loop (half of the battle is having the ***** to not bail out).

Left cyprus never been on a board since. Live away from the coast now. Would love to move to oz and take it up again. Too used to the hot sun, shorts and a harness, none of this 10mm wet suit with gloves, boots and balaclava. Call me a summer surfer but I dont care!

Simon.