Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Private Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 07:10 PM
carbon fibre
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Private Plate

I am starting to pull my hair out trying to understand what to do with my recently aquired retention document.
For a start it does not mention my name as a purchaser, It has the grantee name and address on the top and the nominee down as not applicable. The grantee has signed at the bottom.
If i fill in my name & send it off to DVLA the chances are it will be sent back to the original owner.
If i take it to my local office would they accept it even though i am not down as the nominee ?
Old 03 June 2004, 08:20 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

The DVLA(C?) website has a lot information which I looked at when a) taking a car off retention and b) when I 'sold' a plate to someone else (nominee etc)

To be honest, I thought that you needed to have a form in your own name before you could transfer to your own vehicle. You should be able to call your local office for advice to check before you travel.

I don't know the arrangements made with the person you got the plate from, but perhaps they were leaving it to you to fill in your name, keep a copy as proof for yourself and send off the original to get a retention form in your name ?
Old 03 June 2004, 08:23 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by carbon fibre
I am starting to pull my hair out trying to understand what to do with my recently aquired retention document.
For a start it does not mention my name as a purchaser, It has the grantee name and address on the top and the nominee down as not applicable. The grantee has signed at the bottom.
If i fill in my name & send it off to DVLA the chances are it will be sent back to the original owner.
If i take it to my local office would they accept it even though i am not down as the nominee ?
The grantee has to sign the retention with your name added as nominee then and only then can you put it on your vehicle.

It won't be accepted otherwise, so your only option is to send it back to the grantee after you fill in your details, get them to sign it and send it off.

They will then receive it back and should forward it on to you.

Shít but true.