Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Newark Airport - New York

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2004, 08:28 AM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newark Airport - New York

Looking at changing planes at Newark Airport. Has anybody had experience of arriving at Newark recently ? I was wondering how long they took to clear immigration & customs ?

The flight arrives at lunchtime.

Does anyone now the normal time that should be allowed between connecting flights ?

Kiwi
Old 27 May 2004, 09:06 AM
Rags
Scooby Regular

Kiwi

Been through Newark a few times, its not a bad airport but the staff are by far and away the most miserable and unhelpful set of people on planet earth. One particular happy chappy wouldnt even let me use his pen to fill out my immigration form even though he had 3 in his top pocket.. If your getting a connecting flight you should be ok, as you dont have to go through immigration there. but youll have to go through Xray again.. and the yanks hate people who get to the front and then proceed to empty all their crap.holding up the Queue So make sure your prepared. Either way just have a big smile and be prepared to be met with rudeness.. IMHO

Forgot to say, took me 30 min to get from my flight to where my connecting one was including the xray. if your connecting make sure you know the flight number cos normally there are more than 1 flight planned to the same destination within an hour or so.

Rags

Last edited by Rags; 27 May 2004 at 09:09 AM.
Old 27 May 2004, 04:54 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rags
If your getting a connecting flight you should be ok, as you dont have to go through immigration there.
You will go through immigration at Newark. It is your port of entry.

I am assuming that your connecting flight is US domestic. If your connecting flight is international this may not apply.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:28 PM
Kiwi
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by gareth123
You will go through immigration at Newark. It is your port of entry.

I am assuming that your connecting flight is US domestic. If your connecting flight is international this may not apply.
My connecting flight is domestic so I have always assumed that I would have to go through immigration. I also assume that I would have to get my luggage & take it through customs before checking it in for the next flight ?
Old 27 May 2004, 09:03 PM
gareth123
Scooby Regular

You know, I'm not sure I normally fly San Francisco <-> London direct, and I normally have just a carry-on. Thinking about immigration at SF you go through immigration before the baggage pickup. Then again I'm fairly sure I remember going through US immigration with baggage at St. Louis and Vancouver. Maybe it depends on the airport. I've been through immigration at Newark (it's lovely) but I didn't have a connecting flight and I can't remember which side of immigration I picked up baggage on, if at all.

Short answer: dunno. Maybe

(Newark's in New Jersey BTW, not New York).
Old 27 May 2004, 09:07 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Yes I think you will need to clear immigration, collect baggage and then transfer. May take a while
Old 28 May 2004, 07:24 AM
Rags
Scooby Regular

Kiwi

Gareth123 is right mate.. you do have to go through immigration, i had forgotten because i was so pi$$ed at the orange picker who wouldn't lend me his pen.
About the baggage, ive flown japan->SF->Boston a couple of times and definately DID NOT re pick up my case at SF, but memory is telling me i did at Newark, Quite annoying actually that i cant remember... must be getting old!!

Either way id give yourself between half and a full hour to deal with the delightful immigration staff. grab your stuff. and make your connection.

Trending Topics

Old 28 May 2004, 08:29 AM
kend
Scooby Regular

Am flying to Vegas via Newark in 2/52 time.
My travel agent ( Kuoni) are advising 2 hours connecting time, because of increased security / slower immigration.
Old 28 May 2004, 08:41 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Been through Newark a few times, its not a bad airport but the staff are by far and away the most miserable and unhelpful set of people on planet earth.
All US Immigration staff are like that. I got the last plane into JFK New York one night and it was delayed. The staff were extra pissy at having to stay late and at the passport check the bloke didn't say a word to me, just stood there with his hand out looking at me. I put some of my documents on the counter whilst I found the rest and he just said "why do you think I have my hand outstretched?!"

Nice welcome to New York
Old 28 May 2004, 08:44 AM
mik
Scooby Regular

Flown into Newark 3 times (last time approx 9months ago) and each time it took ABSOLUTELY FEGGIN AGES to clear security (like 70-90mins). Totally agree with the miserable b4stard comments too, and they don't let you use your mobile 'til you are cleared.

I got abuse for using my mobile after I was cleared (waiting for colleague to come through) as I was still in the security control building
Old 28 May 2004, 09:22 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

When you fly out of Newark get a seat on the right hand side of the plane. You'll get the best view on Manhattan.
Old 28 May 2004, 11:33 AM
Crapaud62
Scooby Regular

Agree that the staff are miserable gits with sense of humour failure.

I'd spent the whole flight in Business Class trying to absorb as much free alcohol as possible and therefore was less than sober when I walked through immigration.

One sour official demanded of me "Excuse me Sir. Any fruit or vegetables?"

"Oh yes please. Could I have a pound of carrots and a bunch of bananas"

Emotionless official "No Sir. I was enquiring if you HAD any vegetables or fruit as it is illegal to bring any into the USA".

Also the immigration officials seem to have a competition to see which one of them can get most obese like Mr Creosote without exploding. Never seen so many extremely fat b@stards as worked at US immigration.