Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

3½ litres of oil spilled INSIDE the car...OOPS!

Search this Thread

Old 22 May 2004, 10:32 PM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3½ litres of oil spilled INSIDE the car...OOPS!

Today I thought I'd treat the car to an oil and filter change. So off I went down the shop and bought a 4L carton of Castrol RS 10/60. I put in on the floor in the back. When I got home there was only half a litre left in the container. I used a sponge to soak up as much as I could. All I managed to recover though was about a litre. I spilled some onto the back seats as well, during the panic to clear the spillage.
Shouldn't these cartons be sealed to prevent this kind of thing?
So anyway, I think my rear seat and carpet is riuned unless anybody can suggest a way I can clean it.
I so pissed off now, so I'm going down the pub and I'll worry about it in the morning. Hopefully I'll wake up and it will just have been a dream.
Old 22 May 2004, 11:13 PM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

try one of those blowy foamy liquid sucky uppy jobby carpet cleaners.
Old 23 May 2004, 12:14 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My father in law collected his new BMW seven series, on the way home a few days later he collected two ten litre containers of 'DucksBack' fence preserver, braked hard and all the BMW braking know how and technology worked causing twenty litres of 'DucksBack' to accelerate with huge force and hit the back seats, upon impact they exploded, he left a brown trail all the way home, at least it was water based an came out eventually.
Old 23 May 2004, 12:18 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

I did the same with a large can of dulux paint in the back of my 250BHP Fiat Croma (don't laugh) -- at the third roundabout I heard a "thud" and the smell of emulsion told me I'd been a bit hasty +
Old 23 May 2004, 12:22 AM
steve5
Scooby Newbie

Have a look at www.newpig.co.uk
Old 23 May 2004, 10:50 AM
Richard_P
Scooby Regular

Hey this happened to me last year. I spilt 5 litres of oil in my boot which spread under the back seats. I got it all cleaned up and have since cold the car, the smell was completely gone and no marks to show any spills on the carpets.

To clean it I removed all the carpeting from the car that was affected, this meant completely stripping the boot and then removing the back seat and the carpeting under it. I soaked up all the oil in the car and the once the oil was gone I left it to air to get rid of the smell. At least the car was useable then.

I then hung the carpets up and let the oil drain out. This got rid of a lot of it. I then used detergent to clean some more out. I finished using a product I got from a decorating shop called PolyCleanse which had a strong smell which took a whole to go but at least it didn’t smell of oil.

Oil had been soaked up into the foam under the seat as well and to get rid of that I soaked as much up as possible and then rubbed vanish soap into the foam and squeezed the foam to get it back out bringing some of the oil with it.

The whole process took a couple of months of me working on it occasionally, without having to work the oil out the foam in the seat it would have been quicker. Bear in mind that if you leave any oil in the carpets then the smell will remain in the car and won’t disappear with time.

The reason I bothered is that I had a fairly rare model of car to try and find second hand rear seat and carpets for and the Honda dealer wanted hundreds for the parts the seat was half leather which made it worse.

Hope you get it sorted

Richard
Old 23 May 2004, 10:58 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

I did it with a tin of hammerite in a BMW 328i..... new boot carpet time!
Old 23 May 2004, 01:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

250BHP Fiat Croma (don't laugh)

Not laughing, have a 250 bhp Fiat Coupe, fast Fiat are no laughing matter, many emotions but laughter is not one of them.
Old 23 May 2004, 03:16 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Yep J4CKO - got my fiat 126 yesterday

Damo
Old 26 May 2004, 09:53 PM
bladerider
Scooby Regular

I just bought another 4 litre carton to replace the one I "lost". It seems the first one did not have have the factory seal on it. So I think I have a valid claim. I don't know who's more to blame though. Is it the shop for selling it to me, or the manufacturer for supplying it.
Maybe I'll make a claim on my insurance and let them sort it out.
Old 27 May 2004, 08:20 AM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

/thread hijack

Ooohhh happy Fiat memories, through the 80's & 90's I had:

127 sport
X1/9
105TC
130TC (still have)
Croma Turbo (with bleed valve!)
Coupe turbo

& still lust after the 500 & 124 spider !

D

/hijack over
Old 27 May 2004, 09:31 AM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

I managed to spill 2 pints of milk in the back of my knackered student VW Polo many years ago, but when I went into the house to get something to clean it up with I cut my hand on a bit of glass and had an unscheduled trip to casualty for stiches. I had gone to the hospital in another mates car and forgot about the milk incident for a couple of days.

Now ladies and gentleman, please will you imagine the interior of a primarily nylon, velour and plastic early 80's VW, soaked in milk and grilled in the scorching summer sun for three days.....

It was literally weeks before I could even get near it and the smell of a dead cat lurking under the seat was still there a year later when I flogged it.
Old 27 May 2004, 09:44 AM
sti555
Scooby Regular

I left 24 cans of Stella in my boot along with loads of crisps and nuts and a big bottle of autoglym ...

anyway the cans split all apart from about 4, went everywhere, the crisps and nuts popped, and the autoglym went everywhere (gave the carpet the Ron Jeromy look) the smell was abit intense, just like a working mens club!, still looking for a new boot carpet lol

Ooops!
Old 27 May 2004, 10:44 AM
Nicci
Scooby Senior

Blade,

Go back to the shop and tell them you want to make a claim.

They may deal with you or pass you on to the manufacturer to claim.

Slightly side tracking, but I work in the food industry and we are sent claims from shops relating to oil (the vegatable kind) spillage in cars.

In my case the shop pays the unhappy customer compensation for the cleaning up of the product and the store then claims the money back from us (the supplier).

Its worth a try (and good luck).
Old 27 May 2004, 01:35 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

i've just done a product liability course so with regards to who to blame your strongest point is the buyers contract between yourself and the shop, it is not the manufacturers responsibility, if you wanted them you would have to prove they were negligant and they will jsut say someone tinkered with the seal in the shop and they have processes to ensure no cans leave without the seal and the case will collapse.

The shop is liable as they have sold you a product which has damaged your property

The law implies a term that goods are of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose, the main source being the sales of goods act 1979, in your case the container was not fit for purpose, and if it leaked out, contaminates could have leaked in too which makes the oil not fit for use in a engine as sand, moisture etc could have been in there too.

sale of goods act 14(2) goods are of a satisfactory quality if they meet the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory

The quality of goods includes there state and condition and the following are appropriate

1) fitness for all the purposes for which the goods of the kind in question are commonly supplied ( its not as the contianer was not sealed)

2) appearance and finish

3) freedom form minor defects

4) safety

5) durability

I suggest a look on the internet for more material but you do have a case
Old 27 May 2004, 01:40 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bladerider
It seems the first one did not have have the factory seal on it. So I think I have a valid claim. I don't know who's more to blame though. Is it the shop for selling it to me, or the manufacturer for supplying it.
Maybe I'll make a claim on my insurance and let them sort it out.
Your contract is with the shop who sold you the oil, so in the first instance it's them you should be getting in touch with. Whether you will be able to claim that the product wasn't of merchantable quality though is another matter, as the oil itself was presumably fine before you treated your carpets with it. You may thus be reliant on the shop either providing an ex-gratia payment.

Problem with claiming on your insurance is the potential knock-on effects to your NCD and/or premium come renewal time. Weigh up the cost of getting the carpets professionally cleaned and/or replaced before you take this step IIWY.
Old 27 May 2004, 02:29 PM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

I don't know who's more to blame though. Is it the shop for selling it to me, or the manufacturer for supplying it.
or you, the purchaser for not checking it!!!

hope it cleans up ok.

BB