Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

speaking of GATSO's

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 04:49 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speaking of GATSO's

i may just be a moaner but does ANYONE know of a permenant speed trap that is set up outside a school or simular? was trying to think of one and i couldnt, the only ones i know are on dual carriage ways.....
Old 20 May 2004, 08:31 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Yes, there is one in a 30mph limit on the A409 running outside a school/college in Harrow. The road is quite bendy, and steeply downhill before it straightens up towards the school, the camera is 50-75yds before the school entrance, absolutely perfect placement.

Last edited by Reffro; 20 May 2004 at 08:34 PM.
Old 20 May 2004, 09:16 PM
roguck
Scooby Regular

one was placed 20 metres from the entrance to the last school I worked at in Ashford, Kent. A sensible place given the number of kids that simply ran out without looking into the road. It was petitioned for though by residents and staff at school and the suggestion that the speed limit be dropped to 20mph outside the school as well (which wasn't introduced).
Bring back the green cross code man if you ask me. A good dose of David Prowse in the green and white outfit or Tufty may bring the message home as responsibility is all placed on the driver now rather than the pedestrian taking responsibility.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:43 PM
homer lawtey
Scooby Regular

A speed warning sign (the ones that flash 30MPH/slow down alternately when someone triggers it), has been installed outside the school in the next village. These are meant to be more effective, but don't raise revenue, so are rare.

Steve
Old 20 May 2004, 10:57 PM
i8gtmf
Scooby Regular

Theyv'e just fitted 2 gatso's one in each direction outside 100 yds from the local comp school gates.
For once i agree with them there after being almost killed there and spending months in a wheelchair due to some driver doing 60+ mph in a 30 limit and that was in 1981.Untill recently drivers were still doing the same kind of speeds as they speed out of the town centre
Old 20 May 2004, 11:17 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

there is a gatso outside a school near to where i live they have also added a board which tells you your speed as well
Old 20 May 2004, 11:18 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

good to know there are some cameras out there where they should be. still completely out-numbered by the ones in places purely to earn money though i feel....
Old 21 May 2004, 06:57 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

I dont think that any one has a problem with Gatso's outside schools, it blatent bad placement that gets my back up,STEVE...............
Old 21 May 2004, 07:10 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

There's a gatso in the 30 outside a school in Ashchurch, Tewkesbury!
Old 21 May 2004, 01:23 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Was it a good idea to place a speed camera outside the school or would a better idea have been other traffic calming measures?
Old 21 May 2004, 01:28 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

got no problem with traffic calming measures outside shcools though i o agree measures other than GATSO's can be more effective. certain types of speed bumps (not good for me as my scoobs lowered) really do work and can be put down the entire length of the road rather than one camera that slows people down for 20 yards, though speed bumps dont earn revenue.......
Old 21 May 2004, 01:39 PM
suprabeast
Scooby Regular

speed bumps dont save lives at all and i dont feel are an effective traffic calming measure...

All they do is slow down ambulances with people who need to be travelling fast. And the ones that are designed to allow wide vehicles though ie ambulances dont slow down most cars
Old 21 May 2004, 06:58 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

...the next question should be

"How many of the speed (er, safety) cameras, located outside schools, are actually loaded?"

One of the "benefits" of having a radar detector, is that you can tell which GATSOs have a camera unit (or at least the radar bit of it) installed.

Believe me, ones in 30mph areas, and near schools are very rarely loaded - but take any nice, open, straight dual-carriageway, and the detector goes wild!!!

mb
Old 21 May 2004, 10:30 PM
tinhead
Scooby Regular

The Gatso opposite my local secondary school is never working apart from one time in the summer holidays when there are no kids.
If only someone would invent a camera to catch pedestrians jaywalking, that would increase the popularity of Gatsos.
Old 22 May 2004, 10:17 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Some research recently demonstrated that when a gatso is placed at a junction the average driver spends 5 of the 8 seconds it took to approach and cross the junction looking at the speedo.

Do you really think it is sensible to have people driving past schools looking at their speedos? I mean, if someone hit a child while watching a DVD on the dash there would, rightly, be an outcry.

This explains why fatalities actually increase in areas with lots of speed cameras. The politicians don't actually care about the fatalities, all they are interested in is their own political agenda and getting your cash out of your wallet.

Other calming measures are also somewhat ineffective with the London Ambulance Service saying that traffic humps cost them 500 lives per year. That I am aware of there has never been any proof that such humps have saved a single life.

84% of pedestrains involved in road accidents "entered the carriageway without looking" and so were at fault. When I was a kid we didn't have humps or cameras we had the green cross code and the tufty club and kids were told not to run in front of cars. In these politically correct days with the greens trying to get motorists off the road it seems it is all the fault of the motorist if some kid runs out between parked cars. Just like it is your fault if someone breaks into your house and cuts their hand on the broken glass.

There are some elections coming up and 24 million motorists are also voters. Should any politicians appear on your doorstep don't forget to ask them where they stand on cameras and road safety. At the minute they are taking your cash off you so they can actively go about killing you on the roads.
Old 24 May 2004, 01:06 AM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

some very valid points there mate.went past a red renualt van today parked at the side of the roa, no markings, no nothing with a big fat camera sitting in front of it. luckily seconds earlier i'd decied against a perfectly safe over taking monuvere purley because i couldnt be bothered

anyone see top-gear....4 points for over 35mph in a 30, ****!

cant see myself having my licence too long, i'm really good in residential areas but there are so many un-necesary 30mph limits out there its only a matter of time.....