Frikkin' Rubberneckers !!!

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2004, 08:48 AM
Muffleman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Frikkin' Rubberneckers !!!

Mawnin all,

Got stuck on the M23 northbound this morning, half an hour looking at the back of a Vectra, why ? Because there had been an accident ON THE SOUTH BOUND side !!!

I had to sit in traffic just because 20,000 people on the wrong side of the motorway slowed down to say 'oooh, look at that, bet that'll cost im'

Get a life or get off the road

<rant over>

Anyhoo, lovely day again
Old 20 May 2004, 10:02 AM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Bloke I used to work with did that, then went and ran into the back of the person in front (also rubbernecking)
Managed to get that lane blocked as well muppet.
Old 20 May 2004, 10:23 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Human nature to look at something unusual. You'd look if there was a fight on the high street, or somebody shouting or even a car crash. No real difference except you are in a car as opposed to on a bus or walking down the street etc.

I'm guessing it only bothers you because you were in a hurry or were delayed somewhat by the incident? Personally I wouldn't slow right down and glare at the incident but I'd be lying if I said I didn't at least ease off a little and glance at the accident and so would most. Obviously you have to keep your wits about you (as you should do all the time when driving) to prevent what happened to Ringpeas colleague.

Anyway, there's another thread on rubbernecking going from yesterday.
Old 20 May 2004, 11:06 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Pictures?
Old 20 May 2004, 12:23 PM
MikT
Scooby Regular

I've had a theory about this slowing traffic/rubbernecking for a while now.

Taking normal traffic driving along the motorway at say 70mph too close together (you said morning traffic so i'm assuming rush hour) if you are aware of a bang on the other side of the road your natural reaction is to lift off the gas (but not necessarily brake). Car behind you has to dab the brakes, car behind them hits the brakes and so on. Throw in a rubbernecker or two and yip, the unaffected side has now ground to a halt.

Maybe if the majority of people didn't drive too close to the car in front then this sort of thing wouldn't happen as the car behind wouldn't have to brake if they had kept enough room from the one in front when he lifted off the gas.

Its the ripple-braking effect that causes the initial slowing of traffic. The rubberneckers just compound the situation.
Old 20 May 2004, 12:45 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Was just a wagon that fell over, nobody killed.

Driving home the last few nights on the A23, had to queue to 3 miles to get past the site of that terrible accident at the week end. Now, either they were paying their resects to those who died or they were trying to see if there was any carnage left, I think the latter. That ***** me off.