Rubberneckers

Search this Thread

Old 15 January 2004, 09:15 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Why do they do it?

Today, I was driving along a stretch of dual carriageway with two lanes per side and a central grass reservation about 30 feet wide. Speed limit was 50mph. From some distance ahead, I could see that there were a lot of flashing blue lights on the other carriageway and that these vehicles weren't moving; obviously the site of an accident.

Meanwhile a few hundred yards back on my side of the road, the car ahead of me had overtaken a slow vehicle in the inside lane. I also overtook the slow vehicle in the inside lane. Everyone is within the speed limit.

As we got to the scene, in my peripheral vision to the right I can see that there are several Police cars, about three Fire Engines and three Ambulances. As I was concentrating on the road ahead, I couldn't see how many cars were involved in the accident, what the damage was, what the cars were, and so on, however I did see that someone was on a stretcher.

Moron in the car ahead then decides to slow to 10mph in the outside lane. Road is absolutely empty in front of her; inside lane is also empty (we were well ahead of the slow moving vehicle on the inside). WHY!

Horn and headlights moved her to the inside lane. On going past her I could see that she had kids in the back seats and was talking to them. What was she doing? "Look. There's what a dead body looks like". There are 30 feet of grass between the carriageways, so if she was just some sort of ghoul she could have pulled up there and let the kids have a good view of other peoples' misfortune. I just can't understand why this **** for brains decided that the best approach to a serious accident on the other side of the road was to slow to a dangerous speed in the outside lane (apparently) to get a good view.

If she carries on rubbernecking like that she'll discover what dead bodies look like - when someone smacks her up the rear end and the back seat passengers are killed.

Sorry for ranting. Rubberneckers in general annoy me but this one really got to me as it didn't appear to be just a "damage only" accident and her behaviour was moronic.

Doug

[Edited by douglasb - 1/15/2004 9:16:04 PM]
Old 15 January 2004, 09:20 PM
M-J-P
Scooby Newbie

Angry

I am with you on that. Do 30k miles P/A and I can't undertand people like that.
Old 15 January 2004, 10:20 PM
bartmanuk
Scooby Regular

Red face

i couldn't agree more!!!the old bill should be doing more to stop rubberneckers,
i had one last year,driving along a single carriage road when we come upon an accident at a left turn junction,the police were there and had cleared a way through so the rest of the road users could get past.then for no reason, the car in front stops right next to the accident,stopping everybody from getting past.the old bill at the scene were just standing about talking,so,hand on horn....BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEBBBBBBB!!!!GET OUT THE ****** WAY,i screamed at this tosser,then ,one of these old bill looked at me as though i was in the wrong...by now i had the right a*se and just glared at this copper and said "i thought rubbernecking was an offence",and the ****** ***** just turned away....

BM
Old 15 January 2004, 10:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

just ask for a visit to your local mortuary!!!

usually puts off rubberneckers just as they start to remove the skull is a good bit to demonstrate

M
Old 15 January 2004, 10:42 PM
adstephens
Scooby Newbie

Rubberkneckers just need a good slap and should be concentrating on the road ahead- not to the side. I wonder if theyre nosey neighbours as well!
Old 15 January 2004, 10:51 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Talking

Morbid fascination I suppose

A bit of surfing on rotton.com or bangedup.com would easily cure that!

Your right though, I bet it's the same type of person that has a good gawp though the front lounge window on our house as they walk past (to which I either stare them out, wave or a give a pleasant gesture for a laugh )

My last trip up to Lincoln took 30mins longer purely due to rubberneckers [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

I mean, an accident...big wow, happens all the time, people die, **** happens. If you can't help then sod off. If you can help, park up out the way and help.