Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CH.4 Dispatches: Keep them out.

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2004, 10:28 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CH.4 Dispatches: Keep them out.

I dont know if anyone saw that show last night at 9pm.
I did, because I live in the town in question.

I am ashamed of the residents of Lee, the whole protest centred around property prices because Lee-on-the-solent has traditionally commanded a slight premium over neighbouring areas.
did you hear some of the justifications for not wanting to help migrants?

- they stand around on street corners talking and smoking.
- a lady was worried because she saw some men in a group, they were ayslum seekers (how can you tell?), well they look kind of foreign.

priceless, these mindless bigots try to use the posh aspect to hide the fundamental "not on my doorstep" institutionalised racism.
I hope they rot in hell.

there have been a few have spoken in favour of the christian belief of helping those who need it, but they have had physical abuse and property damage and the majority of those who actually care for fellow man live in fear of repucussions.

I have always said that as a christian I believe we have a moral duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves, as one lady summed up (before being verbally abused on telly), if there were civil war in England, I would hope that another country would look after my kids.

to which the guy responded, "well there wont be", and followed this up with, "I hope they all die".
FFS.

It really annoys me and is quite close to causing a lot of family rifts in the area (including my own).

The guy who was playing the guitar at the demo's was my wife's uncle, makes you realise doesnt it that white, middle class England is the most instituionalised racist community in the country.

the one point that the residents who campaigned really dont like is when I take great pleasure in pointing out that its a damn good job that the jews didnt try to relocate to Lee while fleeing the holocaust.

"oh, but thats different".
FFS!
Old 07 May 2004, 10:35 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Racist or not, the message is clear - if the majority of the public think we should look after our own interests first then that is what we should do, as long as we are a democracy. It may not be morally right, but that is the way public opinion is turning.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:37 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Didn't see it, but if that's the attitude of the people of Lee then I'm glad it's being built in their backyard. People who hate genuine asylum seekers must be scum and have no heart.
<stands back and awaits those who don't know the difference between asylum seekers and illegal immigrants to start shouting>
Old 07 May 2004, 10:41 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Similar article last week about building a centre in Portishead here.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:42 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

unfortunately Beverley Hughes' legacy to the area is that the centre was deemed technically not suitable.
Old 07 May 2004, 10:44 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

ajm-
nice totalitarian view you have there, straight out of the 135th edition of utopia??
Old 07 May 2004, 11:00 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

What p'd me off was that not ONE of them distinguished between bogus asylum seekers aka 'economic migrants' versus genuine asylum seekers aka 'people in desparate fear of their lives'.

Speaking honestly and without the cloud of ignorance and misplaced fear these bigots had, I would probably support a campaign not to have an asylum centre in my street too. This would be on the same principle as not wanting, say, a dogs home in my street either - its not about rejecting the valid needs of the individuals concerned, its about changing the character and value of an area against the wishes of those long established there.

I also blame the government's catalogue of disasters and failure to legitimately control immigration/asylum for that ignorant lot's over reaction. They feel someone should start saying enough is enough - particularly as ordinary decent British citizens' tax burden keeps going up and up...

D
Old 07 May 2004, 11:07 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peanuts

the one point that the residents who campaigned really dont like is when I take great pleasure in pointing out that its a damn good job that the jews didnt try to relocate to Lee while fleeing the holocaust.

"oh, but thats different".
FFS!
Funny you should mention that. My Mum, a Polish Jew, settled in England after WW11. I won't go into any of the details of her time in Germany but after what she suffered, coming here, for her, was like Heaven. It took her many years to recover but she always so appreciated the support and love the British people offered her. Not once in this country was she called a dirty Jew, spat at, threatened, abused or made to feel uncomfortable in any way.
Until now.
She's 81. Reads the papers, watches the news on tv. She doesn't go into great monologues but she makes comments like "Ah just look at them! It's all starting again". And sometimes she cries a little. If we ask her why she says it's because she's remembering things she'd forgotten. The news intimidates her. She's worked all her life, never done any wrong (saved British soldiers lives during WW2 which would have meant a bullet in the head for her) but you know what? I think she's feeling guilty. Guilty for just being her and what that meant to some people many year ago, very similar to the people of Lee.

Last edited by andrewdelvard; 07 May 2004 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:11 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to add in to the mix that this is the media talking - the same media who whipped some of us into a frenzy last week about the floods of Mayday invaders from Eastern Europe and who were then very quiet when they couldn't find any. They are going to sensationalise anything they can these days as the average British ******** will swallow it hook, line and sinker.

FFS people start to think for yourselves insetad of believeing everything you read in the papers or see on the TV.

As for ajm - friend to cats and asylum seekers alike

tiggers.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:17 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

i think you are the one who lives in Utopia peanuts with your out-of-touch view

the consensus view is that held by AJM not yours

if you cannot understand the NIMBY viewpoint without adopting the sanctimonious 'christian help thy fellow man' attitude then you are way out-of-touch

go throw your race-card at someone else

case dismissed....NEXT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07 May 2004, 11:29 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

ajm-
nice totalitarian view you have there, straight out of the 135th edition of utopia??
As Brendan has already pointed out, the issue is on my doorstep (Portishead) so, unlike most, I can directly empathise with both sides.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:32 AM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,
<<FFS people start to think for yourselves insetad of believeing everything you read in the papers or see on the TV>>

I am, I live there. this was, thankfully, trying to show just how narrow minded these people are, not sensationalise the asylum issue.

Lord Shrek,
you seem to have misunderstood utopia when you read it, just because the majority think its right then therefore it must be?
If you are being racist (even if it is ok because everyone else thinks it then you are still being racist and will be shown the race card).

next you'll tell me that its ok to rape Iraqi women and torture the POW's because everyone else is doing it.
smacks to me like your a mindless sheep who cant have their own opinion, you need to check with the majority viewpoint before you respond?
Old 07 May 2004, 11:40 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

smacks to me like your a mindless sheep who cant have their own opinion,
FFS! dont you think these people who are moaning about it all being on their door step are just expressing thier opinion??? no?
Old 07 May 2004, 11:43 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

I'd say that communities like this are more scared of change rather than any specific issue- so whatever the issue at stake the response with be the same. Middle England has always felt its largely immune to change and has the power base to resist when needed- this is a classic example of reallity bites, based on peoples (media lead) fears rather than 'getting on with life' Still these sits' can go either way, in X years time Mrs Civil Servant could well be saying "that Iranian family on our street are lovely folks" "I dont know why we were so bothered by it all at the time" or her house prices could of plumeted and several of her friends could have been attacked and robbed.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:46 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

its called protecting their culture/identity...a completely normal human reaction...why not????

to someone like peanuts who lives in cloud cuckoo Utopia he sees it as racist/xenophobia

would i want completely alien cultures setting up near where i live....Im afraid i can wear my heart on my sleeve and say NO.

Just being candid.

Peanuts will soon realise about 'Integration!'

Case dismissed...NEXT!!!!!!!!
Old 07 May 2004, 11:51 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'I have always said that as a christian I believe we have a moral duty to help those less fortunate than ourselves'

Unfortunately the meaning of being a christian has all but eroded in modern times. Christians seem to be middle/upper class twits who preach the gospel about love thy neighjbour etc YET when an aslyum centre is being proposed on their patch, they all meet in the town hall and say NO NO!

About time all these social do-gooders get a taste of Tony blair's great Open Door Policy on immigration.

Peanuts you must live in noddy noddy land. Can't you understand these residents don't want 400 males roaming their small market town?? Would you let you're daughters out at night??? I know 2 friends in Sheffield who have been gang raped by kosovan refugees. They were grabbed off the street in unlicensed cars. IN my job I see more and more asylum seekers driving round at night in old bangers. 2 of my colleagues(asian drivers) were hit by illegals and the blokes just ran off! Marvellous!!!
Old 07 May 2004, 11:54 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I have no problems with any1 froma foriegn land being brought into this country who will be happy to go work for a living get a morgage buy a house ANYWHERE be it next door to me or not and pay their taxes, no problems what so ever, but when they aint working aand they are all being housed together you end up with groups living together, drinking together, bored and you will and do end up with more violence etc in and around certain area, it happens, it happens around here Ive seen it, they take over 1 pub as a crowd and then all of a sudden 1 man drinking in that pub is the minority and feels intimidated and **** happens thats what people are scared of happening on their door steps...
Old 07 May 2004, 11:55 AM
SomeDude
Scooby Regular

"Ah just look at them! It's all starting again".
She is unfortunately right Andrew.

Must be horrible to have seen it all, and then see it happen again.
Old 07 May 2004, 11:57 AM
letdown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SomeDude
She is unfortunately right Andrew.

Must be horrible to have seen it all, and then see it happen again.

Not the same thing really!!? ****'s and asylum seekers??? Dont see the connection.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:02 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

PP some good points- to keep it very simple, you work your backside off to live in an area, spend time and money on your property, then over time migrants arrive, some good some bad and completely change the enviroment you've strived for. I for one couldnt care less whether this is construed as 'whateverism' I'd be bloody peeved!!
Old 07 May 2004, 12:05 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

just take a drive into london and you will see the meaning of integration

just loads of little ghettos with everyone sticking to their own

throughout history this has been the norm

when one group encroaches on another groups space all hell breaks loose

case dismissed...NEXT!!!!!!
Old 07 May 2004, 12:07 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Thumbs down

i *was* going to put my point across, but i don't see any point looking at some of the replies
Old 07 May 2004, 12:08 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Guys I think this Jewish and **** comparison is very wide of the mark on this issue and inappropriate. Sanctioning the holocaust by practicing nimbyism is not a valid conclusion.

Questions have to be asked without immediately implying discrimination or racisim - e.g should all Kurds be repatraiated to Northern Iraq now that the dictator is gone?? This would then free up resources for the genuine refugee from The Congo we saw...
Old 07 May 2004, 12:09 PM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'i *was* going to put my point across, but i don't see any point looking at some of the replies'

LOL you 're point must be so valid
Old 07 May 2004, 12:11 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Diesel; totally agree, however dis-enchanted you are about your enviroment, you can always move somewhere else.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:18 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

'i *was* going to put my point across, but i don't see any point looking at some of the replies'

exactly popeye

we can do without the likes of that bigotted narrow-minded Flat 4 sticking his oar in
Old 07 May 2004, 12:20 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Tiggers,
<<FFS people start to think for yourselves insetad of believeing everything you read in the papers or see on the TV>>

I am, I live there. this was, thankfully, trying to show just how narrow minded these people are, not sensationalise the asylum issue.
Yeah sorry - it wasn't aimed at you.
Old 07 May 2004, 12:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bet they all form their views on the world from the Daily Mail.

Steve
Old 07 May 2004, 01:01 PM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

stop going to womens lib meetings steve and get some *****

case dismissed...NEXT!!!!
Old 07 May 2004, 01:06 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Steve you MUST have seen the doc - otherwisw that is a spot on guess; lots of shots of The Daily Mail in it!!!

Quick Reply: CH.4 Dispatches: Keep them out.