Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Can someone please explain to me the attitude of...

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2004, 10:11 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if i see a biker i always try to pull over a bit to give 'em room. although it can be a bit tricky when some are trying to get through on the nearside and others on the offside
Old 30 April 2004, 10:12 AM
mike1210
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

seems to me the attitude of "if im waiting then so are they". Sad really as bikers that can get to the front of the queue wont exactly hold up the cars will they!!!
Old 30 April 2004, 10:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I 've found the same attitude many times, difficult to understand why, can only be jealousy that bikers can get through the traffic I suppose. Glad you told him what you thought of him B20, but doubt it will change his attitude unfortunately. Hoipe it made you feel better anyway.

Les
Old 30 April 2004, 10:22 AM
marky1
Scooby Regular

yep, but can work both ways, I get pi**ed off in London when I'm at the front in traffic lights and scooters pull up right in front of me and then set off and do 10 mph down the road. So if you wanna pull in front of me fine, but you need to move fast if you do.
Old 30 April 2004, 10:33 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I always pull over and slow down when I see a biker behind me, bl00dy hate the things never know what a biker will do next with such a quick machine cause once they are doing it it could be too late, always safer to let the bike go, then it gets on my t!tties when they dont bother to aknowledge you

he sounded like a numpty and deserved a telling off
Old 30 April 2004, 10:39 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Fast bikes in traffic worry me, there are so many potential blind spots for a car driver that you only need blink whilst a bike turns the gas on and your in trouble. As with all driving observation is key.
Old 30 April 2004, 11:18 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Is it jealousy? Is it hatred? Are they just fcuked in the head?
Jealousy i think, in that we don't have to get stuck in queues like them. I've never had to do it but i'm told that punching a wing mirror off or booting a dent into the door often gets the message across.

A good one someone told me was to lean down next to the front wheel of their car and reach across like you're fiddling with something down there. Then pretend to put something small into a pocket, grin at them and ride off. They'll be worrying/checking for ages about what you (potentially) did.

When i'm in the car i'm always bike aware and move over to let them past, probably helps that i'm a biker too and am aware of looking out for them.

All car drivers should do a bike test too!

Iwan
Old 30 April 2004, 11:27 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Angry "NOW YOU SEE HIM"

I have posted on this before but i think its worth repeating.

I have no problem with bikers whatsoever after all many moons ago i had an ancient cb125 before i got my drivers licence.
I move over if it is safe to do so when thay are behind me and couldnt care less if they get from a to b quicker by qeue jumping (sensibly).

But every time i see that "NOW YOU SEE HIM" advert it makes my blood boil how is it the drivers fault (as the advert seems to strongly imply) if a biker sits on his **** in his blind spot and then attempts to overtake when he makes a right turn !!!!!!! especially as in the advert it appears to be a fairly narrow busy high street.

Any bikers care to comment on wether I am right or not ?
Old 30 April 2004, 11:28 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Still not joined that anger management class then Bob?

Not a biker, but am perfectly happy to let them past, the guy sounds like a ****. UNLESS were there a lot filtering in the other lane, and he was trying to free up that one but inadvertantly blocked yours? Though doesn't sound like it.

LOL at Iwan's "fiddling" suggestion...
Old 30 April 2004, 11:31 AM
beemerboy
Scooby Regular

bob, good start to the anger management lol.

i'd have expected you to boot his door in!!!

BB
Old 30 April 2004, 11:36 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mattstant
I have posted on this before but i think its worth repeating.

I have no problem with bikers whatsoever after all many moons ago i had an ancient cb125 before i got my drivers licence.
I move over if it is safe to do so when thay are behind me and couldnt care less if they get from a to b quicker by qeue jumping (sensibly).

But every time i see that "NOW YOU SEE HIM" advert it makes my blood boil how is it the drivers fault (as the advert seems to strongly imply) if a biker sits on his **** in his blind spot and then attempts to overtake when he makes a right turn !!!!!!! especially as in the advert it appears to be a fairly narrow busy high street.

Any bikers care to comment on wether I am right or not ?
I agree with everything u say on that subject, I always moan at the misses saying the daft prat shouldnt have overtaken, if the biker was more aware he would have noticed a junction coming up and should have been prepared for the car to potentiolly turning even without indicating
Old 30 April 2004, 11:38 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Talking

I quite enjoy letting bikers go past, i would say that 90% of the time I get a nod or wave for doing it. Brings a smile to my face every time.

I do tend to find ( I am on the busy motorways loads) that it is drivers of more sportier cars that are the most courteous (sp?) This is most likely down to the fact that these drivers are generally better drivers, who seem to know what is around them at all times.

Same applies to lane hoggers, its the Rover 214 that just sits in the middle lane oblivious to the surrounding, as opposed to the Scoob, EVO,....(BMW not!).....driver that pulls into the correct lane.

Old 30 April 2004, 11:42 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Pure jealousy that they're not caught up similarly.

Next.
Old 30 April 2004, 11:48 AM
Old_Fart
Scooby Regular

I think London car drivers on the whole are pretty courteous, I do plenty of filtering and the majority move over...I try to acknowledge where I can, raising a hand or the right foot...hopefully make the car driver feel better about themselves and encourage them to continue being courteous....I also say thanks when people hold doors open for me...too old fashioned!
Rgds
C
Old 30 April 2004, 11:58 AM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with bikers, but the people who jump on a moped for the first time and think they're are street hawk can give you grief.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:01 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think 2 issues need to be aired with bikes passing stationary cars.

One some idiots ride past far too fast- eg. 25-30mph is too fast to able to stop if some plonker decides to open a door on you. Or if someone decides to turn right.

I had a very close one happen a while back, stationary traffic - car infront gives way to a car at a junction wanting to pull out and turn right, goes to nudge out when a kwak comes zooming round the outside of the traffic. He nearly flung himself on to the bonnet by stabbing the front brakes on too hard (legs + **** in the air - obviously needs to practice his stoppies ). Point being the bike was travelling too fast along stationary traffic.

I think some motorist do not like because of this, and don't want their mirrors taken off etc because of it.

IMO cyclists (as in the pedal variety) are just as bad - how many times have you had some lycra suited racer wannabe zoom past you, they have no chance of stopping unless they hit something.

2nd issue is with crawling traffic (about 10-20mph stop go), where you'll get a bike go around you and cut right infront and jam on the brakes. It's bad enough them cutting into your braking space (unlike most drivers at rush hour I like to keep more that 2ft from the car in front ). But because the car infront is stopping, they slam on brakes forcing me to slam on mine on even harder, risking either me hitting the bike, or the dozy desk driver behind running into the back of me

Moped riders are the most guilty party of this, they don't seem to understand the concept that a car, lorry or bus cannot stop on a 1 penny piece

However I don't condone blocking bikers, I'm sure some people do have their reasons, other than just sheer "you'll have to be as late for work as me" arrogance.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:32 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have found that things over the past couple of years have actually improved.

I have had someone openning the door whilst I was approaching..

He got an earful.. pair of them thought it was funny until I stopped the bike in front of them and got off.. and walked up to the car window.. etc.. I should have removed a mirror or something but just knew that all the cars surrounding were watching and would have taken my number down.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:40 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Would it be because all bikers are gay and like to mince about in bright coloured nylons and he didn't sit comfortable with that?

Just a thought.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:46 PM
gsm1
Scooby Regular

I just remembered, I did have an incident wth a biker. I was sat at the lights with 2 bikers (with 2 lady passengers) to my right. They were both in deep conversation. I drove off when the lights hit green, nothing else happened. At the next lights one of the bikers comes up to my window accusing me off hitting his front tyre with my back bumper and giving me loads of verbal??? More than likely this idiot had turned his tyre out while I was driving off, looked stupid in front of his girlfriend and decided to blame me.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:52 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by **************
Err no, I wear all black, black crash helmet, black visor black clothing, the lot is black No brightly coloured race rep cr@p for me thanks The downside is I do look like bloody streethawk lol
That's it!!! He was gay and thought you were in denial wearing all black!!! You should have been wearing bright colours and he'd have wafted you passed.

This thread was sorted at 12.53 pm.

Last edited by Spoon; 30 April 2004 at 12:55 PM.
Old 30 April 2004, 02:10 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

It's just life - some drivers are *****. They're the same people who flash you after you've overtaken them; the people who sit in lane 2 or 3 when they're not overtaking; the same people who have their foglights on when it's not foggy; who use the left hand lane of a multi-lane roundabout to turn right, or who indicate right when they're going straight on, etc, etc.
Old 30 April 2004, 04:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If I do that Old Fart, I usually find people look at me in amazement! Thanks that is.

Les

Quick Reply: Can someone please explain to me the attitude of...