Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

HELP !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2004, 09:47 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HELP !!!!

My wedding is in two weeks and I have got nothing prepared for my speech, does any body have any tips?

Or good websites with speeches and pointers on it ?

I also need to know what needs to be said IE what is the running order what needs to be said and when

Basically I’m $hitting my pants and need some help
Old 30 April 2004, 09:52 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

all you got to do is say thanks to everyone and compliment your wife.
Old 30 April 2004, 09:58 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh I didn't do the "compliment wife" bit
Old 30 April 2004, 10:00 AM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

Puff - that bit's strictly optional, mate.

Old 30 April 2004, 10:01 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by grovesy
My wedding is in two weeks and I have got nothing prepared for my speech, does any body have any tips?

Or good websites with speeches and pointers on it ?

I also need to know what needs to be said IE what is the running order what needs to be said and when

Basically I’m $hitting my pants and need some help
Drop in 'my wife and I' and you'll be fine. Tell a few jokes. Tell everyone how lucky you are etc. I didn't write mine till the night before - ditton when I was best man for my brother. I work best under pressure.

Simon.
Old 30 April 2004, 10:04 AM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

Tell them all, its been a huge mistake, grab the nearest good looking bridesmaid and legit!!
Old 30 April 2004, 10:10 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

SD

Some people don't have that skill

I absolutely cacked myself, hate public speaking and dreaded for years ever having to make a wedding speech

I prepared mine over the course of the week before, rehearsed it on my wife/friends, had it all written out and had 2 copies, 1 with me, 1 the best man. I did not enjoy the wedding until after I had given my speech, which of course was fine as everyone is there for you & the wife and don't really care what you say.

(Also was helped out by battle-axe aunt who TOLD my best man not to embarass me!! So I got off quite lightly!!)

Do a search on SN as this subject and useful advice has come up before
Old 30 April 2004, 10:25 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

PTMW

I know completely how you feel, honestly. I'm very shy really and when I was best man it was making a speech in front of just over 100 people, 80 of whom I didn't know because they were on 'her' side of the family. It was all I was thinking about all day (well that and 'don't forget the rings' ) and once I had finished and sat down I felt like a bus had just been lifted from my shoulders. It was compounded by the fact that my sister-in-law and her father were a teacher/headmaster respectively so standing and talking in front of a lot of people were second nature.

When it was my wedding back in November it was to a much smaller audience (55) and it helped that I had met most of the people beforehand.

A couple more tips for our friend - Find one or two friendly faces in the audience and talk at them when making the speach. Try not to let your eyes dance around the room and not focus on anything. It'll compound your nerves.

Everyone there will know it's a big deal, and will be rooting for you. If you stumble over your words then stop, take a deep breath, and then start that sentence again. It's more important to talk slower and clearer than to rush through and get to the end so you can sit down again.

Remember, it's a wedding. It's 'supposed' to be a happy occasion! No-one will take pleasure at you getting up tight about the speech. They're on your side!

Simon.

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
SD

Some people don't have that skill

I absolutely cacked myself, hate public speaking and dreaded for years ever having to make a wedding speech

I prepared mine over the course of the week before, rehearsed it on my wife/friends, had it all written out and had 2 copies, 1 with me, 1 the best man. I did not enjoy the wedding until after I had given my speech, which of course was fine as everyone is there for you & the wife and don't really care what you say.

(Also was helped out by battle-axe aunt who TOLD my best man not to embarass me!! So I got off quite lightly!!)

Do a search on SN as this subject and useful advice has come up before
Edited due to spoling
Old 30 April 2004, 10:45 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

cheers lads..

anymore ??
Old 30 April 2004, 11:15 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

I think have the perfect speech in the thread title
Old 30 April 2004, 11:21 AM
Dazza01
Scooby Regular

Don't forget to ask everyone to raise there glassess for a toast to whoever every minute, then they will be so smashed they won't give a toss what u say

oh and no Mother-in-law jokes......not a good way to start married life......
Old 30 April 2004, 11:34 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

basically thank the vicar / registrar - throw a joke in but don't mention the sham you've been spinning to convince Vic you're a God botherer

thank the father in law for his kind words - throw a joke in, not about his wife though

comment on and toast the bridesmaids - throw a joke in - no fat ones mind

thank everyone for coming, usually with a mention of the furthest travelled

then go on about how wonderful the missus is - throw a joke or 2 in

Job done

Everyones waiting for the best man speech anyway

Good luck
Old 30 April 2004, 11:45 AM
grovesy
Scooby Regular

seems easy enough

any good mother in law jokes ?
Old 30 April 2004, 02:05 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do DON'T use one of those insert name of bride here type speechs off the net they are awful and will make you sound like a complete moron.
I did alot of research into this get some advice on the basic protocol then think about what YOU want to say and make the anecdotes strictly true ones about you or the wife.
then read it out to somone who will be at the wedding who you trust and if you start bricking it try and pick them out of the crowd and pretend your talking to them alone.
One last tip try a quick puff on an amsterdam spaecial but not TOO much it did wonders for me and just calmed my nerves perfectly
Old 30 April 2004, 02:40 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.speeches4weddings.com/spe...?id=889&num=85
If this doesnt help then you are stuffed