Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blair's comments yesterday on immigration:

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2004, 02:52 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blair's comments yesterday on immigration:

“We cannot simply dismiss any concern about immigration as racism.

“In part, what has put immigration back up the agenda — with public concern at its highest since the 1970s — is that there are real, not imagined, abuses of the system that lead to a sense of unfairness.”

“There are high profile examples of the absurd, like radical clerics coming here to preach religious hate, people staying here to peddle support for terrorism.”

"The combination of all these things ... led to a crunch point. That is where we are now. These are real concerns. They are not figments of racist imagination."

"The vast bulk of the British people are not racist. It is in their nature to be moderate."

"But they expect government to respond to their worries. They can accept migration that is controlled and selective."

"They accept and welcome migrants who play by the rules. But they will not accept abuse or absurdity. Why should they?"

Well, about time too. There's a few who post on here that should have these words ringing *loudly* in their ears (K and M spring to mind).

I just hope it's not more 'lip service' and that he really intends to do something about it. With his track record though, it seems unlikely. Just another case of saying what people want to hear.

I, however, feel vindicated by these comments, as should the others on here that have been brave enough to discuss these issues over the last few months.

UB
Old 28 April 2004, 02:59 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

brave sir robin.

Old 28 April 2004, 03:10 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

UB- too right!!, same as you though, wish I could believe it was actually going to happen!
Old 28 April 2004, 03:15 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Local elections coming up, Labour spouts something that people want to hear, people buy it, vote for them, they do nothing
Old 28 April 2004, 03:19 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ProperCharlie
brave sir robin.

Mate, it's not just me.

I'm not going to dig through the archive looking for quotes, but the levels of (often very personal) vitriol and abuse people were subjected to was sometimes quite disgraceful.

Perhaps now it will stop, and sensible discussions can take place in an atmosphere of toleration.

UB
Old 28 April 2004, 03:22 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

UB - fair enough.

in any case, i agree that blair's comments are welcome and should make the debate more open.
Old 28 April 2004, 03:22 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Local elections coming up, Labour spouts something that people want to hear, people buy it, vote for them, they do nothing
Probably. Hope not. Generals coming next year though, so I would advise them to be seen to do something.

UB
Old 28 April 2004, 03:27 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
at least im not the only one who isnt taken in by this blair must think we are a nation of idiots, oh we are
Old 28 April 2004, 03:30 PM
the moose
Scooby Regular

Point is that OF COURSE there are absurd cases, but the much-touted view that Britain is about to sink under the weight of a million immigrants is, and always has been, ludicrous.

And those who seek to propogate that view are often doing it with an ulterior motive; d'you really think the BNP are that interested in economics? Of course not - they just don't like people of other races. As many/most of us are descended from immigrants this is a bit rich, don't you think?

I heard something this morning about the "thousands" of Roma gypsy "illegal immigrants" who are going to flood Britain. The problem is that these people are either Hungarian or Slovakian citizens ...as these countries are joining the EU on Saturday morning it's rather difficult to claim they're illegal. (This leaves aside the question of whether these countries should be joining the EU, which we could debate until the cows come home.)

The problem is not just illegal immigration (though clearly this goes on) but misinformed and bigoted reporting by the red-tops (and, shamefully, by the ever-more-sensationalist BBC).
Old 28 April 2004, 03:35 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

A bit late, suddenly to realise you got it wrong, with open doors only 3 days away!!!

If Lying labour do OWT it'll be too little, too late, and it'll STILL surprise me if they do owt at all.

They talk the good talk, ( "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime", and "education, education, education,"), but when it comes to walking the walk.........................forget it

Lying Labour: the most disappointing party to come to power in the last 100 years!

Alcazar
Old 28 April 2004, 03:54 PM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by the moose
Point is that OF COURSE there are absurd cases, but the much-touted view that Britain is about to sink under the weight of a million immigrants is, and always has been, ludicrous.

And those who seek to propogate that view are often doing it with an ulterior motive; d'you really think the BNP are that interested in economics? Of course not - they just don't like people of other races. As many/most of us are descended from immigrants this is a bit rich, don't you think?

I heard something this morning about the "thousands" of Roma gypsy "illegal immigrants" who are going to flood Britain. The problem is that these people are either Hungarian or Slovakian citizens ...as these countries are joining the EU on Saturday morning it's rather difficult to claim they're illegal. (This leaves aside the question of whether these countries should be joining the EU, which we could debate until the cows come home.)

The problem is not just illegal immigration (though clearly this goes on) but misinformed and bigoted reporting by the red-tops (and, shamefully, by the ever-more-sensationalist BBC).

The problem isnt with imigrants who use the system to get out of a difficult and serious situation in there own country but the ones that abuse the system and our goodwill for allowing them in the country. No offence meant but i believe your opinion is ludicrous and that you are very gullable in thinking otherwise.

Andy
Old 28 April 2004, 05:23 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The problem is not just illegal immigration (though clearly this goes on) but misinformed and bigoted reporting by the red-tops
These actually have been performing a vital public service. In spite of getting branded 'bigoted' by the politically correct, they have in the long run been proven right in reporting facts that the government had tried to sweep under the carpet. They may do it in words of one syllable, but in many cases they have exposed the facts.

UB
Old 28 April 2004, 06:33 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

TB....best pm in our lifetime...

Old 28 April 2004, 08:48 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by paulr
TB....best pm in our lifetime...

Are you only 5 years old then?

Chip.
Old 29 April 2004, 06:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He has done a good job to prove himself to be a "man for all seasons".
Old 29 April 2004, 06:30 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Leslie
He has done a good job to prove himself to be a "man for all seasons".
I just think of him as a c*nt for all countries:

Alcazar
Old 29 April 2004, 06:39 PM
-=Buzz=-
Scooby Regular

hmmm.. more drivel from Blair I see.

I honestly believe that if things aren't SEEN to be sorted out to the point where Mr UK Average thinks that the "native" population are being looked after to the same extent it is percieved that immigrants are looked after then there WILL be race riots etc.

Just using housing as an example - how many times have you heard "I've been on the list for a flat for 8 months and those asylum seekers got a house in 4 weeks" or something similar in the news?

How many pensioners are turned out of care homes while more and more "economic migrants" are coming into the country?

Regardless of if any of it's true or not, thats the sort of thing that gets reported and causes resentment.

He can say what he likes, but he'll have a heck of a job actually doing anything that Joe Public will see or hear about to any extent.

"Local couple get flat - asylum seeker complains of racial discrimintaion but is found to be here illegally and is subsequently deported" - when did you see THAT ever reported? I'm sure it happens, but it's hardly going to sell papers.
Old 29 April 2004, 07:59 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

"Local couple get flat - asylum seeker complains of racial discrimintaion but is found to be here illegally and is subsequently deported" - when did you see THAT ever reported? I'm sure it happens, but it's hardly going to sell papers.
Would actually read: "Local couple get flat - asylum seeker complains of racial discrimintaion but is found to be here illegally and is ordered to be deported, but then gets legal aid for a human rights lawyer who gets the Home Office decision overturned. Susequently his entire family arrive and they all get housed, a free car, and the full range of benefits provided at the tax payers' expense, forever."

UB
Old 30 April 2004, 10:33 AM
Lagamorph
Scooby Regular

lmao
Old 30 April 2004, 11:04 AM
Lord Shrek
Scooby Regular

This is a culturally diverse nation and we should embrace it.

The words of TB not me.

10 years and all hell will let loose
Old 30 April 2004, 11:21 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Are we all looking forward to tomorrow, to welcome our 200,000 new visitors?

No, me neither.
Old 30 April 2004, 11:52 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Blair claimed earlier this month that Immigration had nothing to do with the shortage of homes in this country, he changed his mind on that this week as well.

I have little faith in Blair and his monkeys and will wait and see what happens.
Old 30 April 2004, 12:01 PM
CEL
Scooby Regular

Slighty off topic but sort of related.. did anyone else get a phone call from a survey company last night asking a 'theoretical question' about voting during local elections?

Thought it was very strange for someone to phone out of the blue and ask who i would vote for if there were local elections next week in Sheffield ..... don't think they were impressed with the answer i gave them

Promising words from Tony there. Actions speak louder than words and all that