Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

dabbling in stock market.

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2004, 01:44 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dabbling in stock market.

I'm interested in finding out how some people manage to make a decent book from dealing in shares via the web.

Are there any ebooks about this?

thanx.
Old 24 April 2004, 02:36 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

I take my trading/investing very seriously, it provides me with a very healthy income, I wont say how much but its thousands. I intend to make it my full time living within 4 or 5 years (Im 27)

Its not for the faint hearted or the uninitiated, but anyone can do it, you just need to know what your up to(could go on about this all night, so get the books !)

I would suggest reading and paper trading(ie virtual trading) before you touch any money. Lots and lots of good books out there, try as a starter(bit american but all sound info)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...719556-6633229

Lots of info on the web, I personally read http://www.advfn.com its very much trading chat about certain stocks, but quiet frankly if I didnt read it I wouldnt make as much money as I do. Also look at http://www.fool.co.uk (bit less fast paced) and also http://www.iii.co.uk

With regards to dealing accounts, there are lots, etrade, comdirect, tdwaterhouse etc etc they charge similar amounts, you could argue all day which are better. You can probably set up virtual portfolios on all.

One main thing to say is, dont use money you cant afford to lose fully. ie dont use loans etc etc. Ive never lost all my money persay, but i have taken some big loses in my time (but then any good trader knows how to lose, if he didnt he wouldnt make money - theres lots writen about how to lose and why its important!)

good luck

AP
Old 24 April 2004, 04:17 PM
corvid
Scooby Regular

thanx for the info.
Old 24 April 2004, 04:42 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Incidently AP, how did you get into trading? I used to dabble and I was seriously thinking about getting back into it again. I know it can get addictive Well timed post as I was going to put one up on a very similar topic soon.

Chris
Old 24 April 2004, 08:54 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Been trading myself from home with an Lse live link since 1995 before there was really anything on the net of any substance.

I had the FT delivered before my software was available and kept them as my reference point and paper traded for a while.

Dealing was OK but you had to be showing a fair gain before you sold as you never really knew the price at the point of sale until you phoned your broker.

I wanted to get into short term trading and the software allowed just that with real-time prices, graphs and news on your pc as it happened.

Set-up costs at the time were about £2,000 (not counting pc) but it was very quickly returned in stock profits. Yearly fees were then £600ish.

I tended to stick with just a handful of stocks that I knew and bought big'ish and sold at as little as 3% gain in sometimes as little as 10 minutes.

Severn Trent once returned 11% in 28mins, 24 of which I wasn't by my pc otherwise I 'd have sold earlier. Not recommended but it was unavoidable and luckily it worked in my favour.

Blue chip companies can return quick profits on a daily basis if your stake is large enough contrary to common beliefs.

Over a year these same stocks may well have lost value but if you are trading them throughout the year you can make gains.

Investing is OK for novices but trading will need your full attention.

Try Updata for books and/or software.

I used my bank as my broker, not the cheapest but I had earned a fair credit line and so never used my own money to trade.