Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone in an office with no windows?

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2004, 07:54 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in an office with no windows?

i am considering relocating my office- right now i have stunning veiws but the new office is internal so only as a window onto a corridor.

its a great office and is fully serviced which suits my needs- it also has great ceiling height and lighting so doesnt seem dark/gloomy......but after a few days with no window will i go nuts? or have i been spoilt and there are more things to worry about in an office that a window?
Old 20 April 2004, 08:14 PM
Alan C
Scooby Regular

A nice view on sunny day can be worth more than you think.

In a previous life I worked several hundred feet underground in a nice safe Nuclear bunker.

During the winter, I used to go into work when it was dark and come out when it was dark. Sometimes with several inches of snow that wasn't there before. Only guys comming in with rain on their jackets gave the game away what was happening outside.

I had to wait until the weekends to get some daylight.

At least you can pop out a look up every now and again.. that'll be nice

Stick with the view if you're on your own... go with the better office if there's a few of you to let you know how sunny or rainy it is outside..
Old 20 April 2004, 08:20 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I fought long and hard for a window seat. Not to gaze at the view, but so I can have it open and breathe fresh air. I hate 'office air'

UB
Old 20 April 2004, 08:22 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

How tragic your lives are................my office has full length windows (French windows as idiots in the UK call them) and a view of the Pyrenees. Life must be hard for you drones.
Old 20 April 2004, 08:23 PM
Lord Jeffery Wode esq.
Scooby Regular

Got to agree - during winter you can miss most of the daylight which can be depressing, and in the summer when you leave in the sun, you realise what a nice day you have missed, so it can be a real pi***r.

Also consider the fresh air option - that is if you have windows that open - great to have a breeze in the spring or summer rather than relying on dodgy air con spewing out other plebs' viruses for you to catch.

Of course, if you're a vampire then the move will be great!
Old 20 April 2004, 08:24 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Say you'll swap offices only on the condition they fit a Velux roof window

[edit] .. as long as you're not on the ground floor of a multi-storey building of course
Old 20 April 2004, 08:32 PM
Buzzer
Scooby Regular

Tiggs

Not worth it at all mate. I was temporarily re-located in an office with no windows for two weeks. I thought great these premises are really plush, nice lighting etc etc. By the end of the second week i was feeling physically sick at the thought of going in there in the morning and when in there i couldn't concentrate. I later spoke to our HR girl and she said that it is way too common, people feeling sick in offices with no windows especially if you have a desk job. She said it wasn't so much of an issue with manual workers for some reason. She did explain but TBH i couldn't give a **** mate. I just had to get out...........and that was after just two weeks.

I too have "french windows" now with a wonderful view of a computer training place with around 50 young chicks walking in and out all day. Nacro mate, you can shove your Pyrenees view where the sun dont shine i'll keep my view any day
Old 20 April 2004, 08:34 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

My office has no windows but at least it has scoobynet If i want a change of scenery i do a lester burham (american beauty) and retire to the mens room to....... you know the rest
Old 20 April 2004, 09:15 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

hmmmmm...putting me off!

although i do see clients out of the office so its not 9-5 inside, prob no more than 4hrs inside at a time.

T
Old 20 April 2004, 10:13 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

i worked in a building with no windows!!

it screws you up not knowing what the outside is like,,, starting in the dark and finishing in the dark plays hell with your system,,

and just you wait until your skin drys out with all that exposure to the fluro lighting!!

Mart
Old 20 April 2004, 10:32 PM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A while ago, my production supervisor was bragging about his new office. I asked him how many windows he has. "None" he said. So I knocked him down a peg by saying "So, it's just a cupboard then"
Old 21 April 2004, 01:55 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
i worked in a building with no windows!!

it screws you up not knowing what the outside is like,,, starting in the dark and finishing in the dark plays hell with your system,,

and just you wait until your skin drys out with all that exposure to the fluro lighting!!

Mart
ive did this before in a previous job and it didnt bother me that much, it was nice when it got to saturday tho and i could see the sunshine
Old 21 April 2004, 06:51 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

quote: "too have "french windows" now with a wonderful view of a computer training place with around 50 young chicks walking in and out all day. Nacro mate, you can shove your Pyrenees view where the sun dont shine i'll keep my view any day "

Here's the view I can stick where the sun don't shine, taken this morning

Looking good today, it's going to be 25 degrees.

Also cubicle land outside my office is packed full of sexy French girls, so I get a good view whichever way I look- suckers.
Old 21 April 2004, 07:01 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Blimey, are all french girls nice then?
Old 21 April 2004, 07:04 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Not as a rule, they are however not generally as obese as British girls.

However the ones outside are mostly hand picked (well my theory at least) to provide a healthy pool of "nieces" for philandering French oil executives. Apart from the odd old trout they are a good looking bunch.
Old 21 April 2004, 07:05 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Nice scenery too!
Old 21 April 2004, 07:47 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Just moved from office with a view (November) to one with no view

and...... too busy surfing scoobynet to notice the difference

PS If the office has good lighting then you'll soon get used to it.... although the lack of eye-candy passing can make those Monday's drag