Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Any antiques experts?

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 09:14 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any antiques experts?

One of my neighbours has asked me to find out what I can about this.

It is a Lucifer - a match case used to hold matches before the introduction of safety matches. The idea was that if matches rubbed together, then as it was in a metal case there would be no burnt pockets.

The hallmarks suggest that it was made in Birmingham in 1900 by B&S. The decoration is Flags of the Empire painted in enamel. I had a clue about the age before checking out the hallmarks as there are individual flags for each Australian state rather than a single Australian flag. As Federation didn't happen until 1901, this suggested late Victorian. Similarly, there is no South African flag but Cape Colony and Natal ones. Newfoundland is still separate from Canada and individual African coutries aren't mentioned, just West Africa and East Africa.

Looking on ebay, Lucifers don't appear to be going for much over £25. Does anyone know if this one is different due to the maker (only references that I've found to B&S suggest a toolmaker rather than a silversmith) or the subject matter of the decoration or the workmanship?

Doug