Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2004, 03:28 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident advice - read my letter

Following up from my accident thread,

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=319588

Here is the letter I am sending to the silly bint's inurance co and solicitor.

http://eyeb.ath.cx/~damian/clean.htm

What do ya reckon? Its not sent yet....

Damian
Old 17 April 2004, 04:01 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

CMON GUYS!!!
Don't cane my bandwidth and don't put an opinion!!
Old 17 April 2004, 04:17 PM
midget1500
Scooby Regular

Angry

arghrgrhrghrgrh F**KING ZURICH.

someone hit me in the rear also (posted on here about a year ago) and Zurich only offered me 50/50!! well, a year on i've now got a solicitor to try and do better with them.

i drew comprehensive diagrams, sent photos, countless letters etc all to no avail. they are *******s.

good luck, you'll need it.
Old 17 April 2004, 04:17 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Seems fair enough to me.

One Q, are you not supposed to report ALL accidents to your insurance company whether you intend to claim or not ?
Might not look good when you get to court ?

Hope it works out for you...
Old 17 April 2004, 04:30 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

midget... I never understood 50-50 does that mean there is no payout to anyone?

Damo
ps. Doc - my insurance company know. I am handling everything though.
Old 17 April 2004, 04:32 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Have had a quick read and it seems pretty well written to me. I would say, however, that the main arguing point from your behalf is to stress the fact that you were already on the roundabout when the accident happened. At the beginning of the letter I almost missed this because of the words "a second car then arrived, to my right". This kind of infers right of way by overrinding the subsequent statement "As this car was still not at the roundabout, I proceeded to turn left".

Don't be put off by the fact that she has changed her mind. This is normal these days, people have little moral value, and the insurance companies have even less! Their case will focus on the fact that, no matter what, you should have given way to a vehicle coming from the right.

That said, I would re-word this to something along the lines of:-

I approached the roundabout, observing a first car approaching the opposite side (see the enclosed digital photographs) and a second approaching from the right at approximately X metres (note: the larger X is the better!) from the roundabout, slowing down to give priority to the first car to its right.

I turned onto the roundabout whilst the second car was still Y metres from the entrance to the roundabout and proceeded to turn left.

Just as I was clearing the roundabout, and completing my turn, my vehicle was struck in the rear drivers side quarter by Ms P’s vehicle which had no longer given way to the first vehicle on the roundabout to its right or made provision for the fact that my vehicle was already on the roundabout.
Also, the more damage you can show to the rear of your vehicle (as opposed to the side) the better.... it will support the argument you were almost entirely turned left before she struck you. Take some photos from a rear facing perspective, not side on.

It has to be said though, despite the cirumstances, it is going to be tough to convince them that you didn't pull out in front of her. That is why she has changed her mind (or her insurance company has changed it for her). So anything you have that helps to establish that she hit you AFTER you had entered the roundabout will help your case.

P.S. Have they offered 50/50? If they have it means they know their case is shakey - worth knowing!

Hope this helps
Old 17 April 2004, 04:51 PM
mj
Scooby Regular

Wink

I can see why your'e gutted, she's a beauty
Old 17 April 2004, 04:52 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Yeah, respect to your motor, but I struggled to see the damage amonst the rust bubbles and age of the alloy

No offence as it's the principle that is in play here, and you are quite right to try and get something out of her....was just expecting something newer
Old 17 April 2004, 04:58 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

lol, literally £100 would shut me up.

Its just that she is trying to claim off me cheeky slag

Damo
Old 17 April 2004, 05:09 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

hmmm.... my helpful post (the only one so far) was based on the premise that you gave a **** about the car.... if you don't then can I edit my post to be a p!ss take like everyone else's?
Old 17 April 2004, 05:41 PM
damian666
Scooby Regular

lol £100 would replace the car - most bb turbos are wrecked engine wise and can be had for a pittance. Its not to repair the damage, I would need to replace the suspension etc, so we are looking at £500 inc. labour - i.e. the car is written off.

Damo
Old 17 April 2004, 05:56 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

one time some dozy cow knocked me off my push bike (i was about 16 at the time).

i went over her bonnet, the bike went under her car, and she drove right over it. she got out of the car and was crying her f***ing eyes out.

i was like: wtf? i'm the one who just ate pavement big time - shouldn't i be the one who's upset? she was very apologetic and gave me her phone no. i was carted off in an ambulance.

the next day i phoned her to see if she fancied helping me buy a new bike, seeing as the old one was totally f***ed on account of her driving over it. guess what? her attitude had totally changed and she went into a rage saying was i going to pay for a new wing mirror for her car, which, incidentally, i had carelessly removed with my kneecap as i made my way over her bonnet.

women, huh?
Old 17 April 2004, 07:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Good luck. Key point as picked up above is that she hadn't reached roundabout - can you give a distance as a guide? "Ms P was approx 5 metres away from roundabout or whatever". Also use upper case R in road all the way through. I would ask them to acknowledge letter and I prefer Dear Sirs rather than Sir/Madam. Send letter "signed for". DL
Old 18 April 2004, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think the letter is fine, as ajm said, maybe you could be a bit more positive in the wording as to why you were on the roundabout before her, although I understood what you meant.

I wish you luck, cant see how she has got the brass neck to try to switch the blame onto you. Always difficult without an independant witness though. You are dependant on the woman's honesty to a large extent and that is in doubt.

Les